How Much Are The Hcm's Worth?

danth

I swear, I have no bias toward the MPC (for the love of God, why would someone be biased toward an MPC??). I admit I had no idea the legs could be angled outward on the HCM... Looks like I'll have to do an edit! Still, I don't think it changes the fact that the MPC is just an updated HCM (more a mating of the chunky and HCM). I agree, there are a couple areas the HCM looks better, especially the nose and cockpit section of fighter mode, but that was all in the review. The HCM is great, it's just not as detailed, not painted as well, and desperately needs the knee swivel.

In the review it mentioned that I was not using the gun, missiles, or heat shield because they're still on sprues and I don't have the heart to remove them. The review also mentions that many aspects of which toy looks better, especially battloid mode, are completely in the eye of the beholder. If you love the look of the HCM and are willing to overlook the lack of detail, paint, and articulation in favor of that look then obviously you'll disagree.

Here's the new edited version:

The MPC's inclusion of the swivel at the knee is HUGE and allows for better dynamic posing in comparison to the sure-footed but ultimately stiff HCM.  The HCM has great feet that do allow for some good poses (and save GERWALK mode) but the MPC has those same feet.  It has been pointed out to me that the HCM is capable of obtaining a wide stance (angling the legs out at the hip) and the MPC is incapable of this.  That's a pretty big deal for static poses but I don't think it outweighs the advantage of the swiveling knee.  That swiveling knee allows the MPC to also pull off some interesting poses in "guardian" mode whereas the HCM looks uncomfortable in GERWALK mode.

I toned the language down and added a few sentences.

Edit II - Didn't the Toynami tail pack exist BEFORE the Yamato tail pack? I mean, Toynami was showing the MPC at the 2001 SDCC which is before Yamato released it's 1/60 version toy. Ooh, actually I just looked at the SDCC version and it did have a different backpack... very interesting... Maybe they did steal it. The new backpack was shown in 11/01 with the move to 1/55. Eh, either way, that's all politics, I'm just comparing one toy to another for fun.

Edited by jenius