SPACE GIANTS

I remember a show about a family where the Father was a Gold Robot and the Wife and Son were humans with antenna. All three could change into Rockets and fight someone in a Black Manta-Ray Space Ship.

Does anyone else remember this show?

Scot

I do!!!!!!!

:lol:

I used to be able to only watch this show when I'd be in Illinois, just outside of Chicago at my grandparents. I remember thinking that the TV stations in NY sucked and why couldn't we get this sort of programming at home!

It was pretty cool at the time. I was also able to watch Speed Racer and Johnny Socko whilst I was there. I don't remember the villians name, but the son's name is Gam. The human kid who ends up helping to fight this evil is given a whistle to summon one or all of the family. Wasn't the father robot named Goldar or something? The evil henchmen would turn into a jelly like substance when they were killed.

Ah, memories of my youth...............

I remember a show about a family where the Father was a Gold Robot and the Wife and Son were humans with antenna. All three could change into Rockets and fight someone in a Black Manta-Ray Space Ship.

Does anyone else remember this show?

Scot

over here in ca. in the bay area there was an awesome local kids program called captain cosmic which showcased alot of the japanese shows such as space giants and ultraman. I can't remember the villians name but I also remember an old wise man who was with the family. There was also a kid with a whistle. Whistle 3 times for Gam, 2 for Silvar, and 1 for Goldar I believe. And there was that cool noise when they transformed into the jet fighters. Pretty entertaining show. :)

Hey! It's about time someone brought up this great show! I loved it as a kid, and was pissed when TBS stopped airing it.

The boy rocket was Gam, his mother is Silvar, and his dad is Goldar, who kicked the ass of the evil space man Rodak. They lived in a huge volcano with some old dude.

This show was created by Osamu Tezuka and was originally called Ambassador Magma.

I love this show too. I believe this show was called "Magma Taishi" in Japan. At local coventions you can find bootleg videos of this awesome show for @ 10. There are even some toys of the Goldar figure. Marmit made a 12" figure a few years back, but it's pretty expensive now; @ $150 & up. I'm still looking for one. There are also some vinyl toys too. B)

I totally remember watching that as a kid!!!

...at the time, I was living in the Bay Area and there was an afternoon show with a live-action host who would dress up in a superhero outfit and run shows like Ultraman. Spectra-man, Johnny Sako and his Flying Robot, and SPACE GIANTS... I think the show was called Captain Cosmic... anyway, thanks for bringing up a bit of great nastalgia :)

I'm pretty sure that the original concept was an Osamu Tezuka idea. There was an anime version released in the UK a few years ago, "Ambassador Magma".

The 1966 television show was based off of Tezuka's manga of the same name. It was later adapted into a 13 episode OVA series which was rather lackluster at best and shared none of the magic as did the television show with it's comic title. To be honest with you, I did not know the anime series was even related as I had never known the Japanese title of the television show. When they played the now familiar theme song from the live action series at the end of the first animated episode did I make the connection.

Although Rodak had a corny mask I thought his ship was pretty cool.

Just think, This was the Power Rangers of our day. Kids today would never think that Shows like the Power Rangers were an OLD IDEA!!

I think that Giant Robot, Ultraman and Space Giants were amazing for the time they were made. Maybe the original creator of the show could produce an updated version for the new generation. B)