Macross Dyrl - Perfect Ed.?

Culverin

i think i've finally scraped together enough money to actually spend some.

and i'm looking into getting DYRL.

i think i remember this being mentioned before... but i'm not too sure...

the best DYRL version out there is the Macross Movie Do You Remember Love - Perfect Edition right?

so those would be these?

http://search.ebay.ca/search/search.dll?so...prclo=&saprchi=

are they legit? or bootlegs?

and i also remember somebody posting a subtitle plugin for a DYRL DVD? is that for this version or something else entirely?

thanks guy...

If you want original, stick with the "no free lunch" motto. Just bite the bullet and spent the $60-70 a pop on amazon JP/Japan CD/ Yahoo JP. Is the only way.

Yes, those are bootlegs.

The original is in a black DVD box/case, has the Bandai Emotion label (yellow triangle with a large Easter Island head in the middle) next to the DVD Video logo in the lower right corner. The Emotion label is also at the bottom of the sleeve.

It retails for 7,800 JPY - whatever that is in your local currency. (approx. 69.5 to 70 USD as of posting.)

That is, of course, not including shipping.

Keep in mind that it is NTSC DVD region 2.

It may be available cheaper from shops in Japan (Mandarake, etc.) that are offloading it or are selling a used copy. (I have had no problems whatsoever with the 100+ used DVDs and CDs that I have purchased in Japan.)

ouch.  70 usd?  wow.  i never knew it was that much.  i didn't know it was that rare or demand was that high.  :o

good thing i asked before i bought it on ebay.  thanks guys  :)

thanks guys.  i'll see what i can dig up.

405587[/snapback]

DVD prices tend to be much higher in Japan than in the US.

Yes. That's the pre-tax sticker price.

Part of the reason is the low print run due to the low demand. Given that I was able to get a new copy from a store that was discounted, you can guess that even the print run was greater than the demand...

Some comparison prices:

Macross Zero: 5,000 JPY/episode.

Star Wars III: 3,990 JPY (w/ tax)

Star Trek movies 2x: 2,500 JPY (w/tax)

I'd give a ballpark figure of between 2,000 and 4,000 for the average new release. With DVDs that hangout too long in the shop, they get an easy 10 to 50% discount off of those sticker prices.

Keep in mind that the official Region 2 DVD has some issues when played back on a computer.

Also, keep in mind that the Region 2 official DVD does not have any english subtitles (unless you go to the link in my signature and upgrade it).

If you'll be watching the DVD on a computer often, I'd recommend the fx DVD. . . which also has a subtitle upgrade available (again, see my sig).

Finally, if you're curious about the computer playback issues on the Region 2 DVD, check out my review here.

Best,

H