Flat Coats And Humidity

Penguin

Okay... second try at this since a big power hiccup just reset my PC. <_<

I vaguely remember a thread (which I can't seem to locate) in which someone mentioned adverse affects of high humidity on flat coats. Since I usually let stuff dry on my balcony, and we've had 100% humidity and fog the last 3 days (weird enough for my landlocked province, but there it is), could someone confirm or deny this before I start doing some painting this weekend?

Much obliged.

I too remember there was a thread on this. I cant find it eaither.

The only problems I have had with humidity have been with Gloss coats especially acrylics which can go milky when theres too much damp arround

One trick is to use a dehydrator, like you dry fruit and meat slices in. That's if you have one. The only other cure I can recall is watching the weather and patience. The food dehydrator idea came from a dude in Florida where it's ALWAYS humid.

Good day everyone, i have been visiting MW forum everyday since nearly a year ago. however, i have just register to post in this thread :D

I live in Singapore, the humidity is extremely high here. Does it helps to prevent some paint problems caused by high humidity if I have my air-conditioner turned on? Or do I really need to have a Water Trapper equipped with the Compressor to solve the problems? Will I be posioned if I'm airbrushing in an air-conditioned room?

Sorry for so much questions :lol:

Welcome Repiv_Onex!

I highly reccomend you DO NOT airbrush in a closed room. Even with water based paints. The best I have been able to do is:

1) Get a room dehumidifier, let the room sit closed and get dehumidified. It's best to use a room that you won't go into for a while. If you don't have a room dehumidifier (or the money for one :D ) turn on the air conditioning in there.

2) Go paint your model outside or in a ventilated room. Do it quickly without destroying your masterpiece.

3). Bring it into your conditioned room mentioned in #1.

That's about the best you can do without a room dehumidifier. When I lived in eorgia and couldn't wait to paint, I painted outside and quickly brought it inside.

I really hate the humidity. It makes modeling tough sometimes.

Anybody else got some good inputs? Buehler...Buhler?

Good day everyone, i have been visiting MW forum everyday since nearly a year ago. however, i have just register to post in this thread :D

I live in Singapore, the humidity is extremely high here. Does it helps to prevent some paint problems caused by high humidity if I have my air-conditioner turned on? Or do I really need to have a Water Trapper equipped with the Compressor to solve the problems? Will I be posioned if I'm airbrushing in an air-conditioned room?

Sorry for so much questions :lol:

381839[/snapback]

Hi there,

I live in SG as well but i guess it would bad for u to airbrush in AC room.

But one way u wanna prevent foggy when spraying flat coast, do it under a afternoon sun. the reason why it is foggy is due to slow drying time.

As for gloss finish, it will not get foggy unless ur mixture is not even. For mr colour gloss finish u need to use another type of thinner not the norm one(sorry i cant remember which one)

If you want to achieve nice paint works u definitely need a water trapper.

Hope it help ans ur queries

:p:p:p

:p  :p  :p

382073[/snapback]

O thanks for the suggestions MechTech and daggraa.

Actually i have just started airbrushing not long ago. Therefore, i still have lots of doubts regarding airbrushing. i have tried searching the net for information, but all i can find are bits by bits of techniques and tips that are not complete. So i wish i can learn something from u guys here. :lol:

I'm glad that daggraa live in SG too. Erm... can u explain what's the difference when airbrushing with and without the Water Trapper? What problem does the Water Trapper prevents? How much is it? Does all the Water Trapper able to fits on any compressor, or i have to buy another compressor that a Water Trapper is able to fits on?

Ermm... btw should I start a new thread or just continue on this one? Is this off topic???

Again, sorry for so many noob questions :D

:p  :p  :p

382073[/snapback]

O thanks for the suggestions MechTech and daggraa.

Actually i have just started airbrushing not long ago. Therefore, i still have lots of doubts regarding airbrushing. i have tried searching the net for information, but all i can find are bits by bits of techniques and tips that are not complete. So i wish i can learn something from u guys here. :lol:

I'm glad that daggraa live in SG too. Erm... can u explain what's the difference when airbrushing with and without the Water Trapper? What problem does the Water Trapper prevents? How much is it? Does all the Water Trapper able to fits on any compressor, or i have to buy another compressor that a Water Trapper is able to fits on?

Ermm... btw should I start a new thread or just continue on this one? Is this off topic???

Again, sorry for so many noob questions :D

382753[/snapback]

No worries man, a water trapper cost about 100+ and it fits into any compressor.

It is actually a tube connect to the trapper then out to a AB.

(although i am no expert) The theory is to extract the water from the air thus it wont mixed in to ur paint when spraying. it is like mixing paint with water to spray.

:p:p

Anyway is subject to individual but many good modellers i know use water trap.

Hopes the above helps :D

Edited by daggraa

(although i am no expert) The theory is to extract the water from the air thus it wont mixed in to ur paint when spraying. it is like mixing paint with water to spray.

382811[/snapback]

Yeah - if you don't use a moisture trap and there's too much moisture in the air, then the moisture condenses and collects in the airbrush and comes out in spatters unpredictably alongside the paint. Having had it happen myself in the past, I can assure you it's bloody irritating - every time it happened to me I had to start again on the piece I was painting at the time. :/

Yeah - if you don't use a moisture trap and there's too much moisture in the air, then the moisture condenses and collects in the airbrush and comes out in spatters unpredictably alongside the paint. Having had it happen myself in the past, I can assure you it's bloody irritating - every time it happened to me I had to start again on the piece I was painting at the time. :/

382889[/snapback]

Yeah, that's the main problem i'm facing right now. And because of that, i have "spoilt" my Hasegawa YF-21(which is very rare in Singapore ;) ). At first, i thought this was caused by my weak knowledge on handling the Airbrush & Compressor. Then I realized it's due to the missing of water/moisute trapper.

Hmmm... okay, some more questions to clear my doubts about this problem...

Does all the Water Trapper handles the problem well? What i mean is, is it true that the more expensive one has better prevention against the problem? Or just a simple and cheap Water Trapper WILL prevent any case of moisture condenses in the airbrush from happening? Any recommendation of Water Trapper? is there, by any chances, my cheap(lousy) Compressor is part of the cause too???

Does all the Water Trapper handles the problem well? What i mean is, is it true that the more expensive one has better prevention against the problem? Or just a simple and cheap Water Trapper WILL prevent any case of moisture condenses in the airbrush from happening? Any recommendation of Water Trapper? is there, by any chances, my cheap(lousy) Compressor is part of the cause too???

382894[/snapback]

I've personally only used one, but it's entirely possible that different brands of trap will work better or worse than others; I imagine it's probably similar to respirator filters - some will only barely work and others will kill any moisture problem you might ever have. I'm sure someone here must have used more than one in the past and be able to make a more authoritative recommendation! ;-)

Most compressors I've seen have filters over intakes which would serve to reduce moisture as well, but it's not the primary intention so it's probably not a concern if you do have an in-line moisture trap.

Bear in mind also that if you take your airbrush apart to clean it (as you should from time to time!) you should be careful to thoroughly dry all the parts before reassembling it - if you leave drops of water or thinner inside the brush itself then no moisture trap will save your kit...and I know I've done that before too!

You might want to consider using a hairdryer to make sure your 'brush is dry before reassembly.

382889[/snapback]

Yeah, that's the main problem i'm facing right now. And because of that, i have "spoilt" my Hasegawa YF-21(which is very rare in Singapore ;) ). At first, i thought this was caused by my weak knowledge on handling the Airbrush & Compressor. Then I realized it's due to the missing of water/moisute trapper.

Hmmm... okay, some more questions to clear my doubts about this problem...

382894[/snapback]

Dunno about exp or cheap water trap, as i only own 1 water trap so far :p

just buy a decent water trap for about 100-150SGD for a start to see whether ur problem is solve.

Anyway wats ur problem at the first place???

Ur paint work too rough, foggy flat coat or airbrush keep clocking???

Remember one thing, it is a hobby so the more u do the more u realise how u can do better, wat we can do is advice but u need to practice urself.

Anyway dun worry about ruin your YF 21, there are plenty around in SG, u can try Sunshine Plaza, Parklane shopping mall and Hobby Point.

Dunno about exp or cheap water trap, as i only own 1 water trap so far :p

just buy a decent water trap for about 100-150SGD for a start to see whether ur problem is solve.

Anyway wats ur problem at the first place???

Ur paint work too rough, foggy flat coat or airbrush keep clocking???

Remember one thing,  it is a hobby so the more u do the more u realise how u can do better, wat we can do is advice but u need to practice urself.

Anyway dun worry about ruin your YF 21, there are plenty around in SG, u can try Sunshine Plaza, Parklane shopping mall and Hobby Point.

383135[/snapback]

Oh, the problem keep disturbing me is the sudden "burst"(can't find a term suitable in this case :lol: ) of water along with the paint like what Sar has mentioned.

I'm in NS now, that's why i need to be clear which Water Trap to buy as I hardly survive with my "salary" :(

I have searched all of Sunshine Plaza and the 2 Hobby Point shops, yet I can't find the YF-21. However I have brought a VF-22 at Sunshine Plaza :D With that + the unused decal of YF-21, I can make another YF-21. :rolleyes:

Thanks guys for all of your answers and suggestions. I will buy a Water Trapper once i have saved enough money :)

One other thing, make sure that if you have an air tank on your compressor that you drain it every day you use it. Especially before you put it away. A lot of people forget that and rust their tanks out. Don't be afraid to get scrap/spare sheets of plastic and practice on them before destroying your hard work on the model. The extra time spent is worth it! :rolleyes:

Try this, as it works great for me. If you paint outside, paint, then take it inside, close to a heater that's running, and let dry there. Heaters are great humidity destroyers. Not too close to melt anything, just close to let dry.