Film Review: Mission Kashmir

Roy Focker

Hooray for Bollywood!

Indian films believe it or not are quite cool. Aren't Indian films just a bunch of musicals with people singing and dancing all funny like? Well, yes kinda but Bollywood films can be just as entertaining as anything out of Hollywood. The musical is alive in Bollywood but not like the pointless musicals that were popular is Hollywood. Take Vidhu Vinod Chopra's Mission Kashmir a film I recently saw for example.

Mission Kashmir (2000) is shoot em up, bombs blowing up action film! Heck Arnold could star in it! The film revolves around two characters, Kahn played by Sanjay Dutt and Altaaf played by Hrithik Roshan. Kahn is the experienced commander of the anti-terrorist police. He's plays the tough guy, action hero but he cares for his men and is loving husband and father. After an accident hurts Kahn's son he finds that he can't get any medical help for him. The local terrorist put fear into the doctors and when Kahn's son gets help it's too late. Kahn dons a black mask and joins his men to get revenge. Bullets fly and terrorist die but so does an innocent family. There is one survivor a young boy Altaaf. Kahn wife pleads for him to bring the young boy home so they can raise him as their own. Kahn worried of what could happen when young Altaaf finds out the truth (Kahn was wearing a mask after all). They take the traumatized Altaaf home and decided to be loving parents for the boy who needs them. When he is older they will tell him the truth. Well, the movie would be boring if he didn't find out earlier. He learns and runs away.

Ten years later Altaaf returns as a karate kicking terrorist hunk! Kahn and Altaaf both swear to get the other. Altaaf is consumed with revenge but returning home causes some problems, an old love interest, the adopted mother he still accepts as his mother. Eventually there is an explosive show down between father and son.

This movie has it all Martial arts, guns, bombs and good old violence! It is also a film about family and love. Violence and love how can that be? Yeah it's all in this movie. Don't forget the singing! The film is a musical too but they don't sing all the time. Some of the singing will looks out of place. Like how could Altaaf who's been gone for the past ten years working out with weights and building bombs find the time to learn how to sing and dance but somehow he found the time. The musical aspects of the film really just expresses some of the current emotions of the characters. There is a message of the film to stop fighting and start dancing around and sing. If you want to think it a little like Macross 7 in that accept you can but here they are kill eachother between the singing!!!!

The movie runs 160 minutes and is rated R for violence but it should be rated PG-13. There some scenes that show kids getting killed. Its bloodless but some chickens gave it an R rated because of it. There is hardly any fowl language and no nudity or sex scenes. Believe me its still a good movie! You will enjoy the action, be moved the the emotion. Bollywood films are big production numbers and will entertain you.

I asked for it at Blockbuster but the girl looked at me as if I had spinach leaves for ears. :D

372907[/snapback]

Going to Blockbuster to ask was your first mistake. Even anything remotely outside mainstream North American cinema is best left to the indie stores.

Funny I rented it from Blockbuster. Must major chains website allow you to search titles and find out which store has it. Public Libaries are also good places to find forgein films.

I just walked in and saw it on the shelf.

I asked for it at Blockbuster but the girl looked at me as if I had spinach leaves for ears. :D

372907[/snapback]

Going to Blockbuster to ask was your first mistake. Even anything remotely outside mainstream North American cinema is best left to the indie stores.

372977[/snapback]

No such thing as one of those in my area.

Funny I rented it from Blockbuster.  Must major chains website allow you to search titles and find out which store has it.  Public Libaries are also good places to find forgein films.

I just walked in and saw it on the shelf.

372980[/snapback]

You must have a very nice Blockbuster. The outlets in my city have a lousy selection of anything indie or foreign.