Trigun manga news

http://www.darkhorse.com/products/pg_profi...arch/index.html

On October 8th, we're finally getting the Trigun manga. But wait, there's more. Instead of making you pick up a bunch of monthly installments, Dark Horse is cutting to the chase and publishing it as a trade paperback from the get go. Better still, they've decided to publish it unflipped!! That's right, no more right-hand drive cars, or characters who all seem to be left-handed. B)

http://www.darkhorse.com/products/pg_profi...arch/index.html

On October 8th, we're finally getting the Trigun manga. But wait, there's more. Instead of making you pick up a bunch of monthly installments, Dark Horse is cutting to the chase and publishing it as a trade paperback from the get go. Better still, they've decided to publish it unflipped!! That's right, no more right-hand drive cars, or characters who all seem to be left-handed. B)

Old news as far as the unflipped and straight to trade paperback release information is concerned. They anounced that when they anounced they had the license. The part I'm glad about is that because it is straight to trade and unflipped it means Studio Proteus isn't working on it. Anyone else remember the day when Torren Smith was on the cutting edge of anime/manga fandom? The guy really needs to stop living in 1991. So far, the only bad news I've heard about the DH Trigun release is that they aren't keeping the cool Japanese covers with the fun parody versions underneath.

Old news as far as the unflipped and straight to trade paperback release information is concerned.

Is it? Oh well, that shows how much I keep track of this stuff. :( I just thought the "unflipped" bit was interesting, since just a couple of issues ago there was a lengthy editorial reply on this issue in the letter column of Man Machine Interface, where Dark Horse seemed to reaffirm their comic-flipping ways.

Is it? Oh well, that shows how much I keep track of this stuff.  :(  I just thought the "unflipped" bit was interesting, since just a couple of issues ago there was a lengthy editorial reply on this issue in the letter column of Man Machine Interface, where Dark Horse seemed to reaffirm their comic-flipping ways.

This goes back to my rant on Torren Smith. He's the one who is for flipping and for sticking with the comic book format, even though practically everyone else in the manga industry has ditched both practices. Studio Proteus (Smith's company) is the company who does all the work on most of the manga DH releases. DH actually had to go with a different company to do Trigun because Nightow (Trigun's creator) refused to let anyone flip his artwork.

Edited by JELEINEN

Dark Horse was also getting a lot of pressure from the bigger chain book stores to put out their graphic novels to match Tokyo Pops format. They can display more and would confuse their costumer's less. This came from a talk I had with Tim Ervin-Gore, one of DH's manga editors.

I'm used to the Studio Proteus's format but wouldn't mind switching over to the flipped. For some reason, I read magazines from back cover to the front.

I'd take any SP manga over TP anytime though, flipped or not. At least they get translators that actually understand their original material.

• 3 weeks later...

Well gang, I just picked up Trigun #1 on the weekend, and I am impressed. The first volume is absolutely HUGE. I believe it is actually two or three of the original Japanese volumes in one huge trade paperback. The parody covers are in fact there, printed on the inside of the cover, but you only get the one cover. My only gripe is the fact that none of the sound effects have been translated, just like TokyoPop would have done. I don't know about you guys, but this really irks me. Just how exactly are sound effects supposed to help tell the story when I can't read them. Should I be learning Japanese just so I can read the effects....which would pretty much defeat the purpose of buying the Dark Horse edition to begin with. :blink:

Well gang, I just picked up Trigun #1 on the weekend, and I am impressed. The first volume is absolutely HUGE. I believe it is actually two or three of the original Japanese volumes in one huge trade paperback. The parody covers are in fact there, printed on the inside of the cover, but you only get the one cover. My only gripe is the fact that none of the sound effects have been translated, just like TokyoPop would have done. I don't know about you guys, but this really irks me. Just how exactly are sound effects supposed to help tell the story when I can't read them. Should I be learning Japanese just so I can read the effects....which would pretty much defeat the purpose of buying the Dark Horse edition to begin with. :blink:

They used the reprints as the basis. There were originally three volumes of Trigun and they were later reprinted into two volumes. The book is about one and a half times bigger than your average manga then. They also used the reprint cover.

I am very happy they didn't mess with the sound effects. Sound effects are considered part of the art and not part of the dialog. Changing them usually requires quite a bit of touch up and usually pisses off the original artist (and Nightow is very picky about this stuff). And it's not like you need them translated. I know what a gun sounds like. I know the made up words are meant to sound like a gun. Knowing what those specific words are is unnecessary, and certainly not worth screwing up the art for. If you're going to change the sound effects, you might as well flip the damn thing while you're at it.

Overall, I am satisfied with the US release, and I hope they maintain the same quality in the future volumes.

Alright... call me ignorant... but why would manga be published "flipped"?

In Japan, most books are printed to be read right to left. Up until a couple years ago, almost every manga that was brought over to be released in the US was reversed (or flipped) to be read left to right like other western books. The thought of the time was that manga in the original format is that Americans would never buy them that way and would have a hard time reading them like that.

I am very happy they didn't mess with the sound effects. Sound effects are considered part of the art and not part of the dialog. Changing them usually requires quite a bit of touch up and usually pisses off the original artist (and Nightow is very picky about this stuff). And it's not like you need them translated. I know what a gun sounds like. I know the made up words are meant to sound like a gun. Knowing what those specific words are is unnecessary, and certainly not worth screwing up the art for. If you're going to change the sound effects, you might as well flip the damn thing while you're at it.

Well, I'm going to have to disagree with you on this point. Considering the sound effects merely "part of the art" does not give them enough credit. One of the things that drew me to manga years ago was the attention that the artists gave to the "aural" component of the story, whether it was the sound of leaves rustling in a breeze, or footsteps crunching on broken glass, or somebody's intestines splattering on the floor. I always felt that this attention to detail helped draw the reader into the story. In comparison, their western counterparts were limited to giving the reader the bare minimum "Zap Pow Bang" sounds.

And while it's often used as a dirty word around here, Viz manages to redo the sound effects and maintain the right-to-left format in their Dragon Ball titles.

Alright... call me ignorant... but why would manga be published "flipped"?

Some Mangas, probably most, are flipped to accomodate english speaking readers because in Japan they start form, what to us, is the back of the book. Some are simply flipped and everything is mirror image and some are reordered form back to front and panels are pasted, so that they won't be mirror image. Blade of the Immortal is editted the latter way to the wish of the author, probably because if it was mirror imaged, the hero would have a huge swastika on his back when it's suppose to be a suvastika (similar but pointing the other direction).

Doh, beat me to it, JELEINEN, that's what I get for yapping while posting.... :p

Edited by >EXO<

Blade of the Immortal is editted the latter way to the wish of the author, probably because if it was mirror imaged, the hero would have a huge swastika on his back when it's suppose to be a suvastika (similar but pointing the other direction).

Yikes! Talk about changing the meaning, eh? And I thought it was annoying when a character would fire a gun left-handed, or drive a car that was right-hand drive. :blink:

Well, I'm going to have to disagree with you on this point. Considering the sound effects merely "part of the art" does not give them enough credit. One of the things that drew me to manga years ago was the attention that the artists gave to the "aural" component of the story, whether it was the sound of leaves rustling in a breeze, or footsteps crunching on broken glass, or somebody's intestines splattering on the floor. I always felt that this attention to detail helped draw the reader into the story. In comparison, their western counterparts were limited to giving the reader the bare minimum "Zap Pow Bang" sounds.

And while it's often used as a dirty word around here, Viz manages to redo the sound effects and maintain the right-to-left format in their Dragon Ball titles.

I wasn't saying that you had to flip the book to change the sound effects. What I meant is that doing one is the same as doing the other. I don't believe that "translating" the sound effects is worth destroying the integrity of the art. Look at any manga and see how much of a part of the artwork those kana symbols are. Taking them out requires the translating company to have to edit and touch up the art. Somthing most artists and many fans hate.

There are compromises though. One is to note the sound effects in the margins (requiring a slightly larger book to add the margins). The other is to go the Five Star Stories route and note all the sound effects in an appendix. Of course, since 99% of all sound effects are written in katakana, you could just take the few hours required to learn all of them or keep a quick reference handy.

Taking them out requires the translating company to have to edit and touch up the art. Somthing most artists and many fans hate.

Yeah, Shirow presonally retouching Man Machine Interface is definitely an oddity. But otherwise, I guess it depends on both the artist and the reader. Most of the retouches in Dragon Ball have been fairly seamless, but I can't really say how Toriyama feels about it. Were I in his or any other artist's shoes, I'd just be glad my work was reaching a new audience.

There are compromises though.  One is to note the sound effects in the margins (requiring a slightly larger book to add the margins).  The other is to go the Five Star Stories route and note all the sound effects in an appendix. 

Either of those would be an acceptable compromise, but we shouldn't hold our breath for Dark Horse to go this route. Look how long it took them to publish something "unflipped."

From what I've heard, the TV series was produced while the manga was still being published. Consequently, the early TV episodes are quite close to the manga, although distinctly out of sequence. By the time you get halfway through Trigun Maximum, the manga bears only a superficial resemblence to the anime. This also might explain the anime's somewhat vague ending, as the manga hadn't reached that point so they likely just made something up.

Does anybody even know how the manga ends?

Edited by bsu legato

It's best to think of the manga and the TV show as being two different continuities. The manga is still running, last I checked. Mr. Legato is correct; the TV show was made after the original Trigun had ended (due to the publisher going out of business), but Maximum hadn't started yet. The way I understand it, the TV story is technically not Nightow's, but the script writers got a lot of imput from him.