Flight Gear(free Flight Simulator)

evirus

prehaps some modelers would like to know about this

http://www.flightgear.org/index.shtml

FlightGear is an open-source project. This means as long as you abide by the terms of the GPL license you may freely download and copy FlightGear. Anyway can have easy and open access to the latest development source code. Being an open-source project, we have made our file formats open and easily accessible. We support standard 3d model formats and much of the simulator configuration is controlled through xml based ascii files. Writing 3rd party extensions for FlightGear (or even directly modifying the FlightGear source code) is straightforward and doesn't require a large amount of reverse engineering. This makes FlightGear an attractive option for use in private, commercial, research, or hobby projects.

FlightGear is known to run on Windows, Linux, Mac OS-X, FreeBSD, Solaris, and IRIX platforms allowing the user run on their platform of preference.

there are also ways to import planes from microsoft's flight simulator but the physics definations must be rewritten from scratch, theres information on how to do that in a link on the main site

FG is nice for an open source program, but it does have serious physics and compatibility issue. FOr a free program it is good and I would take it anyday over MSFS, but for my money I would rather buy X-Plane, true it is expensive, but it is the most comprehensive flight sim out there with the best physics and the graphics are nothing to sneeze at either. A friend of mine is running it on a computer with nothing else so he can have the high res terrain, suplimented with even higher sat photos for major cities, and all the add on planes he has put on. basically if it is out there for x-plane he has it.

FG is nice for an open source program, but it does have serious physics and compatibility issue.  FOr a free program it is good and I would take it anyday over MSFS, but for my money I would rather buy X-Plane, true it is expensive, but it is the most comprehensive flight sim out there with the best physics and the graphics are nothing to sneeze at either.  A friend of mine is running it on a computer with nothing else so he can have the high res terrain, suplimented with even higher sat photos for major cities, and all the add on  planes he has put on.  basically if it is out there for x-plane he has it.

367674[/snapback]

Now THAT sounds amazing! :lol:

FG is nice for an open source program, but it does have serious physics and compatibility issue.  FOr a free program it is good and I would take it anyday over MSFS, but for my money I would rather buy X-Plane, true it is expensive, but it is the most comprehensive flight sim out there with the best physics and the graphics are nothing to sneeze at either.  A friend of mine is running it on a computer with nothing else so he can have the high res terrain, suplimented with even higher sat photos for major cities, and all the add on  planes he has put on.  basically if it is out there for x-plane he has it.

367674[/snapback]

yah i tried x-plane before, actualy i think the demo came with the yf-19 but it flew strange, it would always lurch left then right abruptly

which reminds me, have you ever played a game called sim guild? it used to be a multiplayer combat flight simulator, old school WW1 planes and such, there was like over 100 players per server, the company went under like a month after they announced they where going to start billing(it was orignally free) now that would be a cool macross game

Edited by evirus