Model/gunpla Hobby Mags

Spatula

Howdy folks, :)

Right now, much of my focus for modeling is based around mecha/scifi/anime type stuff. I find I've a greater liberty and freedom to not be constrained to make it look like an EXACT replica of perhaps a M1 Abraham Tank or a British Spitfire.

Perhaps that's what attracts me to Bandai's massive monopoly of the Gundam franchaise and Hasegawa's production of their Valkyries.

I will eventually start to work on modern day fighter jets and such, but now I'm in the experimenting stage and I'm still a total newb to most of the modeling world.

I'm thinking of getting some good Gundam Modelling/Gunpla books from HLJ, as well as the Tenjin's Valkyrie Illustration book found here:

http://www.hlj.com/product/KOB90124

What is your guys' opinion of say... the Hobby Japan zashi/magazines pretty much going through Gunpla. Are they worth the hefty price that you pay from the import book store?

Are most of the illustrations easy to follow for the non-Japanese language modeler? I do understand some basic phrases and sentence structure in hiragana and katakana, however most of the actions and verbs have kanji roots which I don't want to touch with a 10 foot pole, yet.

Other books I'm considering ordering off HLJ:

http://www.hlj.com/product/MDW22483

http://www.hlj.com/product/HBJ25283

http://www.hlj.com/product/MDW23079

Also, what modeling books in English do you recommend and about how much are these?

I hear that Fine Scale Modeler is a good start. :D

Edited by Spatula

Those books look pretty interesting and not too expensive either. I've always liked the pictures and the impressive models in the Japanese hobby magazines, but I still haven't been able to bring myself to pay that much for something I won't be able to read cover to cover. :p

However, I would recommend that you get some books in English (or whatever your native language is). Finescale modeler has several books that cover the same tips and techniques and you will be able to read the suggestions in detail. Of course the pictures will be of "real" tanks and planes, but all of the techniques will be applicable to mecha or whatever you are modeling. That will get you started.

A lot of people complain about Finescale modeler because it does not contain much sci-fi subjects (almost none actually). I like the magazine. The production values of the magazine are top notch and like I said, all of the techniques can be applied to whatever you are modeling. It is also relatively cheap, and in English.

Your most valuable and cheapest reference source though would be the internet itself. This forum and the starshipmodeler.com forums are full of great people who will help answer any questions you might have and contain a nearly limitless source of reference photos. There are lots more modeling sites/forums out there as well if you just look around a bit.

The last and probably most important reference source for you will be experience. The more models you build and the more new techniques you try the more knowledge you will accumulate to help you. With a little time and a little patience your skills will continue to improve.

Keep having fun and you know your on the right track! ;)

Edited by jardann

Just as an addition to what you already consider buying and what jardann said, I can recommend getting a monthly magazine. Here in Germany we have two big/general ones and they cover the typical plane/tank/car stuff along with lenghty explanations how they were built/converted etc. - educational but boring for mecha modelers.

Over the years I found out I like the japanese Model Graphix (available at HLJ) MUCH better - I can´t read japanese but the photos in this magazine are so great you get every detail. Some subjects are only in a "built up" state but many feature pics of the building process as well. The photos alone speak pretty much for themselves and are mostly sufficient to get the point without reading the text.

I really like the mixture of subjects in Model Graphix. They always have one main feature - if it is GUNDAM you get to see several of them from every angle, usually with building/conversion photos alongside. If it is tanks, planes or ships - well, even if you are not particularly into this stuff you still get great photos and lots of building or painting hints! Sometimes the main feature is more like a tutorial on painting, building resin/vinyl kits, even mold making and casting your own resin parts - it is always worth studying!

Even if the issue is more about e.g. the history of Tamiya plane kits, you will still get your share of mecha modeling somewhere else in the volume.

OK long story short I love Model Graphix and recommend it for every mecha modeler regardless of the language. :D

Spatula,

I've read (looked at) a lot of anime books and whatever you can look at in person first is usually best. I've ordered books that didn't help, and I've found others that I still use as referances years later. In English, Fine Scale Modeller magazine is excellent for all general notes on model building. I've subscribed for years and have learned all that we discuss here years ago. They do little on anime subjects (few readers submit anime articles). Just a suggestion...

I've ordered books that didn't help, and I've found others that I still use as referances years later. 

349180[/snapback]

Could you tell me which books in particular were not helpful, as well as which ones, besides the mentioned Fine Scale Modeler, are helpful?

A lot of people complain about Finescale modeler because it does not contain much sci-fi subjects (almost none actually). I like the magazine. The production values of the magazine are top notch and like I said, all of the techniques can be applied to whatever you are modeling. It is also relatively cheap, and in English.

349051[/snapback]

Actually, the reason why SF subjects are so rare on FSM is only because SF modellers don't submit step by step projects as much (if at all, lately) as the mainstream builders do.

I've seen many articles on SF subjects as well as Gallery submissions over the years, but almost none lately.

That is the main reason I am encouraging wmchen and the other talented modellers on these forums to submit their step by steps to FSM.

The magazine promotes ALL genres of modelling, but if no one submits articles on SF subjects then none are published. It is for no other reason than that.

For general tips and techniques it is an amazing magazine, essentially written by kit builders. They also have specialty publications for dioramas, aircraft, cars, space craft, etc.....

Edited by Zinjo

This makes me want to do a step by step for my Patlabor kits.

Since I have all three of them plus the EXLT, I've got a pretty interesting collection on my shelf that is supposedly rare to get these days, especially Ingram 1 and 2.

Then again, I'm a newb at this so I'm probably not the best to listen to. Just like any other methods, mine are just suggestions and are not the "bibles" of modeling. Everyone has their ways and we can take and share what we know from each other.

OK long story short I love Model Graphix and recommend it for every mecha modeler regardless of the language. :D

I totally agree! It's a true general model magazine that doesn't need translating(though it'd be nice). It's probably one of the best out there and well worth the heafty price. I'd also suggest Hobby Japan, but it's more of a Mecha only book and Gun Pla ran in it.

I'd save your money and not buy Finescale Modeller as it's not nearly as informative as others. However use their forums.

The ones that you posted early are good reference books and will help you later as you increase your knownledge. After awhile though you'll get to the point that you'll want to use more cutting edge techniques and that's when the internet steps in!

Model Graphix, how much is this?  Is this a subscription type magazine/zashi or a guide book?  Where can I get/order this?

349373[/snapback]

780 en or about 13-15 US. Magazine format with subscription options. You can get it through Diamond(get mine through my CB place), hlj, J-List, and others.

Edited by chrono

Hey Spatula,

the others are correct in what they say. This place is a great referance for most topics. Some of the books that helped me were the Macross Model Book (Japanese) and others. I was able to go to a book store and look. If you can, check out some on anime model building. They come and go with reprints. Sorry I can't be of more help than that. There are several Gundam building books out there, just pick your major series and you can find it. There's even one out there on the "Sentinel" series. Can you check out any Japanese bookstores around you (if there are any)?

Hey Spatula,

the others are correct in what they say.  This place is a great referance for most topics.  Some of the books that helped me were the Macross Model Book (Japanese) and others.  I was able to go to a book store and look.  If you can, check out some on anime model building.  They come and go with reprints.  Sorry I can't be of more help than that.  There are several Gundam building books out there, just pick your major series and you can find it.  There's even one out there on the "Sentinel" series.  Can you check out any Japanese bookstores around you (if there are any)?

349814[/snapback]

Yeah get the Sentinels Book (it is a Model Graphix Special issue) if you can. It´s from the late 80s (but has been in reprint not too long ago) but there´s STILL no better book on Gundams IMO (actually I´m not a big fan of Gundam designs but this book rocks). All the models in that book are of course either based on the old crappy kits or even scratchbuilt - now that many of the mechas are available as state-of-the-art-kits the book is an even better reference because you can start with a better base kit and need less effort to turn it into a masterpiece like those shown there. It also contains a big tutorial section with lots of pictures and it starts with a great looking photo story (actually Sentinels IS that photo story - there is no movie).

I also have the Zeta and ZZ-books. Both are almost as impressive, if you´re into those designs you can´t go wrong as well. Those were the days when you could actually distinguish one Gundam from another....... <_<

Quite interesting,

I have the Gundam Fix Figurations of the EX-S Sentinel 0011, Deep Striker 0013, and the ZZ Gundam. 0022 Those definately are one of my favorites. I also have the 0026 which is somewhat interesting too.

But then again the price of the mags...whoa. Well something to look out for.

Edited by Spatula

I dunno about that one.... not to go way off topic, but I get White Dwarf and lately alot of the painting stuff has been pretty crappy....alot of the WD team's goal seems to be to attract to way noobie modelors, which is fine by all means, but not very useful once you've been painting for about a month.... maybe it's just the veteran in me being sick of seeing another basecoating article and wanting something more complex....

I dunno about that one.... not to go way off topic, but I get White Dwarf and lately alot of the painting stuff has been pretty crappy....alot of the WD team's goal seems to be to attract to way noobie modelors, which is fine by all means, but not very useful once you've been painting for about a month.... maybe it's just the veteran in me being sick of seeing another basecoating article and wanting something more complex....

350952[/snapback]

Yeah, but it's fine for the occasional newsstand pick-up.