Halo for PC

Gui

A nearby store has Halo: Combat Evolved available at a cool price and I wondered if it is worth to be grabbed...

I downloaded the demo this week-end and found the SP very cool (still have to try the multi...): what about its longevity? Is it another cheaply too much short game 'a la' Unreal2/Q4 or does it provide a decent amount of fun hours?

Thanks in advance for your opinions :)

If you can get the game cheap, and you like FPS games in general, it's worth checking out. My biggest complaint with the PC version is the removal of co-op. That really hurt the gameplay, as much of the fun in the console version was the co-op, and it really helped to break the tedium of those middle levels.

The only FPS I’ve found fun to play all the way though are HL and Halo.

Halo has a nice story with a good cinematic feeling to it. Things like having only two weapons at a time and having to engage the enemy in small groups if you want to live makes the game something more than mindless shooting. Controlling the vehicles was fun (controlling a tank full of marines is just plain cool).

The things I didn’t like: little enemy diversity and some of the later levels tended to have zones that looked the same.

If you find it cheap, get it.

From what I hear they are not going to port Halo 2 to the PC so the first one is all you are going to get.

Personally I bought it just to see what the fuss was all about back when it first came out... It was OK, I really did not care for it that much. Then again I'm a harcore PC gamer who is used to PC FPS titles that are a tad more varied in their level design. IMO Halo plays like a console shooter with very little variation in level layout with very straightforward paths and goals. I did like the story and the overal presentation of the game but the game itself started to bore me quickly... I found myself trying to hurry through levels so I could see the next story bit. I was more into the story than the game.

With it being sub $20 right now you can't go wrong either way... heck you can't even go see a movie with your girl for under $20 now.

The PC version does play a lot better than the console version, afterall the mouse and keyboard combo is far more accurate than any gamepad, eliminating the need for a gimpish auto-aim.

But yeah, those middle levels are a pain simply because there's so little variety.

Console FPS also add a delay in enemy reaction time. It somewhere between 2-3 seconds. PC FPS, the delay is around .1-.2 seconds.

Halo:CE for PC looked good during production. Then MS bought Bungie and Halo was ported to Xbox. That kinda killed the thrill of Halo for PC. It was almost a year and a half before Halo came for PC so by that time, Halo was actually kinda dated.

Halo:CE for PC looked good during production. Then MS bought Bungie and Halo was ported to Xbox. That kinda killed the thrill of Halo for PC. It was almost a year and a half before Halo came for PC so by that time, Halo was actually kinda dated.

344741[/snapback]

But it sold a ton of XBox's, which is why MS wanted it. As someone who has played more Halo 2 than just about any other game I think of, I found the first Halo really boring. A lot of the levels in the single player campaign were just lazy and/or unecessarily confusing. I got through most of the game on co-op with a friend, but that was because it was the only game we had around at the time.

I'd say that there's a lot better games available for the PC, and you're better off picking up one of them.

But it sold a ton of XBox's, which is why MS wanted it. As someone who has played more Halo 2 than just about any other game I think of, I found the first Halo really boring. A lot of the levels in the single player campaign were just lazy and/or unecessarily confusing. I got through most of the game on co-op with a friend, but that was because it was the only game we had around at the time.

I'd say that there's a lot better games available for the PC, and you're better off picking up one of them.

344783[/snapback]

Quoted for truth. HALO may have been an awe-inspiring event for console players, but here in 2005 its harldy worth mentioning for PC gamers. Especially with much better games like Far Cry showing up in the discount bins.

But it sold a ton of XBox's, which is why MS wanted it. As someone who has played more Halo 2 than just about any other game I think of, I found the first Halo really boring. ...

344783[/snapback]

Which is completely true. And Halo 2 became the Xbox's best seller. But the point I was making was Halo:CE for PC was...well...nothing special when it came out. It plays much better than the Xbox version, but that because the controls are much better (let's face it, people react much faster with keyboard and mouse compared to a gamepad).

If the game is sub $20 right now, it wouldn't hurt to get it.

I definitely agree there are much better FPS than Halo:CE at this point or even when it came out for PC back then.

Well, the point is that I already played the majority of PC FPS around and after this slightly disappointing Q4 I wanted to come back to a cool 'space marine basic shooter' basically :p I'm oldskool and I like games where you play the hero and you don't need to think too much... Also, I reall love Larry Niven's RingWorld novel and several people and reviews said the scenario in Halo is pretty cool :)

Halo PC is available onto Amazon.fr for less than 20$: I think I'll order it in the next days...

Thanks for the input, guys ;)

As a sidenote, I tried the multi yesterday and was a bit disappointed but there's only one map and the netcode is probably not as much optimized as the full version with all patchs. And I hate that when you're fragging plenty of people then suddenly a jeep comes from nowhere and crush you: this brought me out of UT2004 ONS <_< I'm still very fond of Unreal2: XMP though but it's class-oriented 'a la' Team Fortress hence a better team play IMO :)