Evangelion manga question

Mislovrit

The story and art are being done by Yoshiyuki Sadamoto, who had a large role in the original production. He makes some of his takes on the story, and rearranges some of the events and handles some things a little different. Character development is increased in the manga version, and the characters get a lot more interaction time with each other. Shinji visiting Rei at her apartment for one example. Kaji and Shinji have a few very important conversations with each other. Shinji and Asuka get more time together. Toji's situation was delt with much differently. Overall I think it is an excellent work. I love the new interactions between the characters, and Shinji is developed much better in the manga IMO, having a bit more of a backbone when pushed. Definately worth a read. They are up to Volume 7 now, I haven't seen anything about when Vol. 8 will come out here. The different takes and how "canon" it is would have me classify it as similar to the Tenchi OVA and Universe TV. It is a remake of sorts to the original. Which you prefer and which elements you can apply to the other is up to you. The nature of the medium allows more story details to be explored in the manga just by virtue of the extra space. Especially by having the characters simply be able to talk with each other more. If you wished Kaji got more screen time in the show, the manga will please you.

In short, it's Gainax approved, and a very intriguing remake to the original. It's a personal decision whether or not you like the differences, but I recommend giving it a shot.

Thanks for the reply Anubis and I've been collecting the translated Eva comics since it's been release. :) Didn't Yoshiyuki Sadamoto started working on the manga roughly the same time the anime was started?

I was wondering more on what level of approval (canon, official) did GAINAX rate the manga.

The japanese release of manga 8 just came out recently. I think they're up to the ep. where shinji is absorbed into the EVA. Personally me, I don't think Gainax is worrying about the manga because Yoshiyuki Sadamoto is working on it and it won't stray too far from the series.

The reason for I'm interested in finding the answer of canonity is statements like this:

Did you c+p your last paragraph?  I swear that I've seen you say the exact same thing at least once...

The two Girlfriend of Steel games and the upcoming "Evangelion 2" game are also official GAiNAX products, but they would never be considered to be canon, story-wise, so why should the manga just because it's an offical product?

Anyway, the quality of the manga is not in consideration in the status of its canonicity.  The fact of the matter is that there are too many major and minor differences between the manga and its parent anime to even consider rationalising together.  And due to the traditional manga/anime heirarchy, where what comes first is considered to override the other.

Therefore, the anime is canon while the manga is not, and that's also not addressing the "Anno only" factor.

Edited by Mislovrit

Well, I would agree with "Spanky" actually.

Official or no, of something disagrees with the original source material (i.e. the animated episodes), then it is superseeded by said material.

But that is just my opinion...

I don't think you should care too much what other people think when it comes to what you want to hold as the "real" story. If you think the manga is more compelling and convincing, then by all means let that dictate what Evangelion is to you.

But that is just my opinion...

I don't think you should care too much what other people think when it comes to what you want to hold as the "real" story.  If you think the manga is more compelling and convincing, then by all means let that dictate what Evangelion is to you.

Easier said than done when there's no potential troll who gives everyone a piece of his mind and attitude whenever Eva is discussed. :wacko:

Edited by Mislovrit

While we're on the topic of Evangelion. Has anyone heard any new news about the live action Evangelion? B)

You probably heard already, but they are trying to get the kid from Harry Potter as Shinji...

I hold the manga as a substitute. It helps the series. In volume 7, Sadamoto really went into Kaji's past, and IMO... made him a more interesting character. Kaji's past was held in the dark for a majority of the series and his intentions were never clearly defined. The manga fixed that.

While we're on the topic of Evangelion. Has anyone heard any new news about the live action Evangelion?  B)

You probably heard already, but they are trying to get the kid from Harry Potter as Shinji...

I hold the manga as a substitute. It helps the series. In volume 7, Sadamoto really went into Kaji's past, and IMO... made him a more interesting character. Kaji's past was held in the dark for a majority of the series and his intentions were never clearly defined. The manga fixed that.

the kid who played in sixth sence woudl be good actually in this role

While we're on the topic of Evangelion. Has anyone heard any new news about the live action Evangelion?  B)

I was under the impression that that was just a rumor.

I dont know if I would like that guy from harry potter

, <_<

but I saw some concept pics in newtype, they looked pretty good,

and that kid from sixth sense would be pretty good

The battle sequences will rock, but the plot and acting will most likely suck...

(and get that pic outta your sig, they dont like that here)