9/9/99

JB0

Not blaming Sega at all, just stating that I disagree with DC's postion as the last hardcore console.  Legacy support would be more favorable for such a mantle.

327872[/snapback]

And what would it be back-compatible with? The wildly successful Saturn? The incredibly popular SegaCD or 32x?

Tangental note...

The Saturn was rumored to be Genesis and SegaCD compatible for some time before launch. A few people even whispered of 32x support.

The cart slot certainly didn't help quash these rumors.

Intrestingly enough, the sound processor is a close relative of the Genesis CPU, and the Saturn CPUs are the same chips as the 32x processors, only faster.

And again, the SegaCD and 32x are totally diffrent issues. One was a success as a system expansion, the other was a dismally embarassing failure regardless of market.

I take it back.

The 32x might have been considered a success if it was an expansion for the 3D0.

Edited by JB0

In all honesty, I couldn't agree that the Dreamcast was the last system dedicated for hardcore gamers.  Though I agree the Dreamcast had a far superior initial lineup of software compared to its contemporaries, it still had it's share of lousy titles released to fill up shelf space.  The DC also lacked features like reverse compatibility, a feature which would certainly be the definition of "hardcore" in any non-subjective benchmark of the player market.

327797[/snapback]

Backwards compatibility? Why?

The hardcore already OWN what came before, and aren't getting rid of it.

327831[/snapback]

Preservation is the most important objective of what I would define hardcore, loyal supporters. No matter how good you take care of your console, it eventually goes (much like several of my SNES cartridges). Hence, legacy support or emulation is the only alternative.

327871[/snapback]

What happened to your SNES carts? Only thing I can see is batteries dying in some.

GameBoy Color->GameBoy (relevant)

I'm sorry, I'd characterize backward compatibility as a new system being able to play games from an older one, not a very-slightly-modified-but-mostly-the-same-damn-thing system being able to play software from the older version.

That is, Gameboy/Gameboy Pocket/Gameboy Color are really the same thing. You might as well give kudos for the PStwo being able to play all the software that the PS2 could run. (Except that, without HDD support, it can't... let's call that one a downgrade then.) Or, maybe switching to Windows XP SP2 will be like upgrading to a brand new PC!

GameBoy Color->GameBoy (relevant)

I'm sorry, I'd characterize backward compatibility as a new system being able to play games from an older one, not a very-slightly-modified-but-mostly-the-same-damn-thing system being able to play software from the older version.

GameBoy Color, while not a radical change, IS a signifigant upgrade.

Processor's twice as fast, there's more RAM(work and video both), a larger ROM address space, some new features in the sound system, the display supports 56 colors from a pallete of 32k(as with most systems, this oficial max is bypassable) instead of 4 from a pallete of 4, some boring technical details like DMA support, and irrelevancies like IR communications and a faster gamelink.

It's pretty half-assed and was never intended to do more slow the WonderSwan and NeoGeo Pocket down until the GBA was developed, but it IS a new system.

That is, Gameboy/Gameboy Pocket/Gameboy Color are really the same thing. 

Pocket is, Color isn't.

Or, maybe switching to Windows XP SP2 will be like upgrading to a brand new PC!
From what? :)

It's more like dropping a faster CPU into your existing motherboard, replacing the video card with a better one, dropping a bigger hard drive in, and adding more RAM.

Is it stil the same PC you started with?

*sighs*

I hate defending the GBColor.

It's only purpose was to slow the WonderSwan and NeoGeo Pocket down until the GBA was developed. It was never intended to have any real long-term support.

It was a pathetic half-assed stopgap measure, as well as a disgusting abuse of the market on both the commercial and consumer sides.

In all honesty, I couldn't agree that the Dreamcast was the last system dedicated for hardcore gamers.  Though I agree the Dreamcast had a far superior initial lineup of software compared to its contemporaries, it still had it's share of lousy titles released to fill up shelf space.  The DC also lacked features like reverse compatibility, a feature which would certainly be the definition of "hardcore" in any non-subjective benchmark of the player market.

327797[/snapback]

327831[/snapback]

Preservation is the most important objective of what I would define hardcore, loyal supporters. No matter how good you take care of your console, it eventually goes (much like several of my SNES cartridges). Hence, legacy support or emulation is the only alternative.

327871[/snapback]

Funny, as every console and game I've ever owned is still kicking, with the exception of my first copy of Metroid 2 and my first Virtual Boy, which was dropped on the floor(technically stil works, but the displays are out of alignment). This is from the 2600 on up to DC, GC, and PS2.

I'd really liek to know what barbarism you inflicted upon your SNES games that killed them.

327874[/snapback]

I rub the smooth side of the cartridge against my bare buttocks.

A lot of fun, but terribly hard on the cartridges :)

What happened to your SNES carts?  Only thing I can see is batteries dying in some.

[/snapback]

The copper connections on the inside boards wear down the more you insert and eject the cartridge. Eventually, they wear to the point that the cartridge has difficulty making proper contact with the port. Although not so evident on carts rarely played, this failing is problematic of excessively used and previously rented carts.

I still can't believe I missed this thread for so long. Quite frankly, the Dreamcast was awesome. Sega put out so many original (how often do you hear that referring to games today?) games. Shenmue (1 and 2), Jet Grind/Set Radio, Samba de Amigo (that was the title, wasn't it?) and Space Channel 5 were really good games. Although some games were just bad (Sonic Shuffle anyone?).

327797[/snapback]

327831[/snapback]

327871[/snapback]

Funny, as every console and game I've ever owned is still kicking, with the exception of my first copy of Metroid 2 and my first Virtual Boy, which was dropped on the floor(technically stil works, but the displays are out of alignment). This is from the 2600 on up to DC, GC, and PS2.

I'd really liek to know what barbarism you inflicted upon your SNES games that killed them.

327874[/snapback]

I rub the smooth side of the cartridge against my bare buttocks.

A lot of fun, but terribly hard on the cartridges :)

328059[/snapback]

That explains that. You should only rup hem against your front in the future.

What happened to your SNES carts?  Only thing I can see is batteries dying in some.

[/snapback]

The copper connections on the inside boards wear down the more you insert and eject the cartridge. Eventually, they wear to the point that the cartridge has difficulty making proper contact with the port. Although not so evident on carts rarely played, this failing is problematic of excessively used and previously rented carts.

328061[/snapback]

The part wearing the most is the cart slot, actually. The damage done to the card-edge contacts is negligible.

I know some carts(most common on the NES) are corroded from things like... people blowing on them.

That's the NES' dirty little secret. Blowing on your cartridges makes them WORSE. There is no dust interfering with normal operation.

Truth is... The (cheap) cartridge connector bends out a little after signifigant use, making it harder to get the game to work. Add the fact that the lockout chip is pretty twitchy and requires a pretty much perfect connection to work, and you get the blinking screen of death.

Someone concluded it was because of dust and tried to blow it out. It worked. The tale spread.

It works for one reason. Because you get little droplets of spit all over the cart connector. Which makes it more conductive than normal, offsetting the crappy connection you're getting from your loose cart slot.

BUT... when you run electricity through it, you get a rapidly-accelerated oxidation process. This makes the contacts on both your NES and cartridge "dirtier." And it becomes harder to get the games working the next time. "Blow the dust out" and it works again.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Eventually you have an NES that only works while the carts are nice and drooly. Then not at all.

Worst I've had is a Genesis copy of Ristar. Green came off on the first q-tip. Then black. Not some pansy-ass gray like when you clean a normal cartridge. A real, manly, honest-to-god BLACK.

Then more black. And more. And more. I stuck it in my Genesis to test it once I started getting gray off. And it worked, but the sound was abysmal.

So I said screw it, took the screws out, and hit that god-forsaken connector with a pencil eraser. THAT fixed the filthy son of a daughter.

I'm not sure I WANT to know what the previous owner did to it.

You never owned a copy of Ristar, did you?