1/24 or 1/35 VF Scratchbuild research

identityno

Alright, that's it. I think I am going to start designing a Valk to scratchbuild. I haven't decided what scale— either 1/24 or 1/35, the former being my preference. This will certainly take a long time, but I don't have my shop setup right now, anyway, and I am not even about to start actually making the thing for some while. Right now I am in the 'discovery' phase of model building. As such, I am looking for excellent reference material.

I posted an article earlier asking for a link to an interview I thought I had read by one of the guys that designed the Ultimate Detail VF. The reason I was looking for that is because he cited some particular piece of super-detailed reference material they used to guide them while working on designing the kit. I would like to find out what this material was, and also get some tips on what other stuff I need to get a hold of. I am looking for as much lineart and technical reference as possible. Any tips will do. I have already looked through MW, but I didn't find too much to help me. If someone would like to recommend an excellent book or two, I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

Gregory Scott

Pick up the "Macross Design Works" book. It has a bunch of reference material for the VF-1 and most other VF's.

Also dig around on the old forums for lineart. The paintscheme threads are a good place to look for that.

Edited by Mule

Thank you for the response. Does anyone know if the stuff that is in the "Do You Remember Love? : Special Preview" is included in "Macross Design Works?" I saw a little clip of lineart from the former book and it was very interesting... But, sadly, it would be near impossible to find that book.

Thanks again,

Gregory Scott

Wow, cool to see someone else working on a the same thing. I am not likely to get started on actually building it for a long while, unfortunately. I am planning on building up a thorough plan of the design in Vectorworks (a CAD program for Mac) over the next year or so. Once I get that ironed out, I'll start with the actual building. I don't have lots of free time right now, either, so that doesn't help. But, at present, I am just doing research. Wow— $1,000 on reference? I'll have to make some stuff up to put on this model before I'd be able to plow down a G on it. It will be expensive enough for just time/materials... As far as doing Google searches, that was what I was just doing. That actually turned up the Special Preview book I mentioned in the above post.

Good luck on your project. Keep me posted.

And what happened to that guy working onthe 1/32 Legioss? That was really coming along.

Cheers,

Gregory Scott

• 1 year later...
Here is a link to my project. http://home.comcast.net/~cobywan/Templates/VF.htm

There are some really great referencesout there. I probably spent well over $1000 getting them off of Ebay. Use Google and check thier images tab. It is very usefull.

geez... thats HUGE! where o' where am i to put a 1/32 vf if i get and build one!?! :blink:

mad skills tho. really. tahts sweet. more power to you. eeesh... :ph34r:

Identityno,

I'd just reverse engineer a hasegawa or bandai kit and pick the best dimensions that look and work the best for you. Compare the kit and dimensions to pictures to get the look right. Get a set of digital calipers (20-30 bucks ebay) and log the dimensions into a spreadsheet. Have a formula in the spreadsheet that translates the 1/72nd scale number into a 1/35th scale (or any scale) dimension. Then just draw in the dimensions on your CAD program. Print the drawings out on that sticker paper you can buy at walmart. Cut out those stickers out and apply them to the plastic or wood or whatever. Start cutting!

:)

Edited by THOR

Project Slowing Excuses: new job, new home, break-up with girlfriend, etc.

This weekend I'm back in the saddle. I'll never be able to live up to Captain America's standards for speed and skill but I can always try.

;)

Edited by THOR