Just Watched Jurassic Park Again

NERV

Well, I suppose if I had to limit myself to just what I could carry on short notice, i.e. "hey, the dinos are out! We got to raise the fu-- up outta here!" then I'd probably want to go with:

AK-47: supposed to be legendary for it's ruggedness and ease of maintenance. Had a H.S. ROTC instructor who told us about how some G.I.s managed to sneak one back from Vietnam (himself included), and these things could shoot through a 14" thick block of solid wood. :blink: Good to have something that can put a lot of lead in a dino's arse real quick...

12 gauge: for up close & dirty, probably would want a 9-shot military/police type shotgun, a Mossberg, Remington or the like...

Colt 45: supposed to have been designed from the outset for stopping/downing power with one shot? I imagine with a good supply of b/up clips, reloading on the run would be quicker and easier than with a revovler?

Edited by reddsun1

You are correct about the AK series being durable, they where purpose built to have very loose tollerances and heavy metal construction so they would work in almost any climate and condition. I've personally seen a few AK's that looked so crappy you'd think they'd KB on you if you shot them... but kick the bolt open, jam in a mag and they work.

As for taking down Dinos with them... eh... (makes "iffy" hand motion)

The AK, like most any other military main battle rifle, is designed to kill human targets. Large targets will need a lot more "attention" from that AK than most people can manage. Now, a squad with AKs would stand a better chance taking down a big dino. But just you by your lonesome I'd run rather than stand and fight.

As for the pistol you would be better off with something else chambered in .45ACP with a higher capacity if you do indeed want to go with that round. My weapon of choice for .45ACP would most likely be the Micro UZI/UZI Pistol. The Micro UZI not only has a folding stock to aid in aiming and controlling the weapon but sports a 16 round magazine in .45ACP, one of the highest capacity .45 mags out there.... plus being able to switch over and dump the whole mag at one target if need be is a nice plus.

Thanks for the input, Js. The AK would definitely be for Raptor size (Utah, movie, whichever school of thought applies) or smaller beasties. For a T-Rex? Oh, I'd definitely be doing my best Road Runner impersonation. *meep meep*

How heavy/cumbersome would a .50 cal be for use by one or two men? Probably so heavy it'd have to be mounted on something like a truck turret, right? Hey wait, what about a .30 cal? --Nah, did some research; .30 cal = 7.62mm, that's too small for what we want to bust up. Gun weighs 41 lbs too. Nah, fu-- dat.

A minigun a la Predator or Terminator 2 is definitely "movie magic" isn't it? I seem to remember reading a debate (wasn't it a thread here at MW?) that discussed how carrying ammo would be impractical--definitely not enough room in a backpack--and the "recoil" would likely push a guy over on his back like a turtle?

Funny thing is, back in '94, when this movie was still wowing movie goers and "cutting edge," we had a fellow do a lecture at my college my freshman yr. on the subject of the feasability of extracting DNA from these "frozen" specimens in amber. Can't remember if he was an archaeologist, paleontologist(sp?) or whatever, but I remember he explained about how the technique shown in the movie wasn't all that far from reality. His estimation was that "in about 10-15 years, science would actually allow the extraction/sampling of DNA from sources like amber fossils." Among the most promising specimens they thought they'd get results from? Allosaurus was one of the species he mentioned that sticks in my memory. I remember being a bit frightened that this guy was so excited about the prospect of getting workable DNA of a creature like that. Well, that was about 10 years ago; I hope he was being overly optimistic about their chances...

Edited by reddsun1

How heavy/cumbersome would a .50 cal be for use by one or two men? Probably so heavy it'd have to be mounted on something like a truck turret, right? Hey wait, what about a .30 cal? --Nah, did some research; .30 cal = 7.62mm, that's too small for what we want to bust up. Gun weighs 41 lbs too. Nah, fu-- dat.

If you are talking about a Ma Deuce the M2 .50 cal belt fed machine gun then yes you are very right, I got very aquainted with Ma Deuce a long time ago and can say with much certanty that it is way too heavy for one man to carry and fire. You can heft one on it's tripod or over your shoulder if you have the beef but shoot it, no way. As for the .30 cal Browning 1919 machine gun those are still a tad beefy for one man to heft. I'm pretty sure if you found the right guy he could possibly carry and shoot it but his accuracy would be worse than a Stormtrooper with a blindfold on. Machineguns like those two are designed to be fixed position things, mounted to a vehicle or tripod and manned by a crew. More or less defensive position weapons.

A minigun a la Predator or Terminator 2 is definitely "movie magic" isn't it?  I seem to remember reading a debate (wasn't it a thread here at MW?) that discussed how carrying ammo would be impractical--definitely not enough room in a backpack--and the "recoil" would likely push a guy over on his back like a turtle?

Yes, the Jessie Ventura Minigun setup is fantasy but the minigun itself is not. As you said the problem with that rig is that there is no way for a single human to heft to battery to power the weapon plus the ammo on their back. Add to that the recoil from a minigun is a constant 100 pounds give or take. It is possible for a very strong, very beefy person to hand hold and shoot one (I've seen pics from the Knob Creek Shoot) but once again accuracy is near zero as it takes all their effort to keep the muzzle down. In the pic I have seen it looks like the guy is weight lifting as his muscles are tensed and he has this look on his face like he is crapping his pants. Long and Short of it, Miniguns are vehicle weapons.

Marlin 1894 in 46-70 shooting 405gr . Enough medecine for a grizz should take down a raptor.

For the T-rex definitely something semi auto from Barrett.

While we are dreaming how about an AH-1W covering the area. :D

You are correct about the AK series being durable, they where purpose built to have very loose tollerances and heavy metal construction so they would work in almost any climate and condition. I've personally seen a few AK's that looked so crappy you'd think they'd KB on you if you shot them... but kick the bolt open, jam in a mag and they work.

There was a TV programme I saw once where the presenter took the top off an AK-47. I swear there was nothing in there but a couple of bits of what looked like string...!

On the other hand, the same presenter stood a few feet away from a car and opened up on full auto. The car was untouched - I think I'd prefer something slightly more accurate if I ever find myself caught in Dino Crisis for real... ;)

I think its all agreeable that with a vehicular mount, the M2 Browning, XM214 5.56 minigun or the M-134 7.62 minigun would massacre the entire dino park. A WW2 vintage Mk103/108 or MG151/20 would be fun too.

But if forced to choose only ONE weapon and with no Hummer to mount it on, I can only think of the earlier suggested M-16/M203 combo. 5.56 for the Raptors and the 40mm for the T-Rex.