Looking for good anime not released in US

Hey guys. I recently got a copy of Gunbuster TV and Gunbuster 2 and was wondering if there was any other really good anime out that that won't likely reach the U.S. on DVD anytime soon.

I've seen all of the Ghibli stuff and wonderful days. Any suggestions.

I'm also working on seeing all of the Gundam series that haven't been release in U.S. so I got that covered. Thx.

Future Grand Prix Cyber Formula. A little silly in the early TV eps (like first 12 or so) but it settles down and gets a lot better real fast. Car designs by Shoji Kawamori!

-Jungle Wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu

-Jungle Wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu Deluxe

-Jungle Wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu Final (roughly translates into "The Jungle was always fine until Guu came along".... all three of these are immensely funny and full of adult innuendoes. The first series may be hard to find, I think it's been picked up by someone in the US... but I think the other two are still fair game)

-Sunabozu (roughly translates into "Prince of the Desert" or some such thing.. I could be wrong. Very funny and very action packed)

-Zipang (Very serious by comparison, but still awesome to watch. so far they're only up to Episode 6 or so, but it's like watching "The Final Countdown" only with a Japanese Aegis cruiser instead of the USS Nimitz... it's awesome)

Wondering if there was any other really good anime out that that won't likely reach the U.S. on DVD anytime soon.

I've "heard" that there is a show called Macross that's pretty good...

:lol:

you're SO fired..... :ph34r:B))

-Jungle Wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu

-Jungle Wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu Deluxe

-Jungle Wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu Final (roughly translates into "The Jungle was always fine until Guu came along".... all three of these are immensely funny and full of adult innuendoes. The first series may be hard to find, I think it's been picked up by someone in the US... but I think the other two are still fair game)

-Sunabozu (roughly translates into "Prince of the Desert" or some such thing.. I could be wrong. Very funny and very action packed)

-Zipang (Very serious by comparison, but still awesome to watch. so far they're only up to Episode 6 or so, but it's like watching "The Final Countdown" only with a Japanese Aegis cruiser instead of the USS Nimitz... it's awesome)

All but the last title has been licensed. Zipang is indeed excellent, but it's very different from Final Countdown in its execution. It's much more philisophical and has a lot less action. It's definitely a thinking person's show.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes aka Heldensagen Vom Kosmenief. It is an absolutely spectacular masterpiece of storytelling, spanning five years of an war between a Authoritarian Galactic Empire based along Wilhelmine German lines, and the Democratic but faultering Free Planets Alliance. No story is as epic as this one. For storyline Gundam and sadly even Macross doesn't even hold a candle. Even the much heralded Babylon 5 seems like a poor imitation, compared to the depth and presentation of this story. The War scenes are at times brutally realistic. Millions of men die in individual battles, and the episodes displays the tactics the generals use to conduct war, many of them taken from real battles. And the Ships are fantastic. The very utilitarian FPA designs vs the esthetics of the Galactic Empire ships. There are clear classes of warships with actual roles for them, rather than designs for the sheer fetish of having more deisgns.

The only problem with this series is that it is quite talkie. Politics is huge in this game as various players plot their machinations. All through it there is major social commentary as well. The deep theme is whether or not the worst democracy is better than the best Authoritarian regime, as you can see. It can put some people off, but if you get hooked, you get dragged in fully. I think because it is soo deep that it can never be licenced in north america. That and the fact that its over 100 episodes long.

The best way to start is to search bittorrent for the first few episodes to see if you like it. If you do, download the rest up until #55. By that point you will have to buy a mediocre chinese bootleg, but you'll get the gist of it. Other people on this forum will back me up when I say go and watch this series because it is fantastic.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes aka Heldensagen Vom Kosmenief. It is an absolutely spectacular masterpiece of storytelling, spanning five years of an war between a Authoritarian Galactic Empire based along Wilhelmine German lines, and the Democratic but faultering Free Planets Alliance. No story is as epic as this one. For storyline Gundam and sadly even Macross doesn't even hold a candle. Even the much heralded Babylon 5 seems like a poor imitation, compared to the depth and presentation of this story. The War scenes are at times brutally realistic. Millions of men die in individual battles, and the episodes displays the tactics the generals use to conduct war, many of them taken from real battles. And the Ships are fantastic. The very utilitarian FPA designs vs the esthetics of the Galactic Empire ships. There are clear classes of warships with actual roles for them, rather than designs for the sheer fetish of having more deisgns.

The only problem with this series is that it is quite talkie. Politics is huge in this game as various players plot their machinations. All through it there is major social commentary as well. The deep theme is whether or not the worst democracy is better than the best Authoritarian regime, as you can see. It can put some people off, but if you get hooked, you get dragged in fully. I think because it is soo deep that it can never be licenced in north america. That and the fact that its over 100 episodes long.

The best way to start is to search bittorrent for the first few episodes to see if you like it. If you do, download the rest up until #55. By that point you will have to buy a mediocre chinese bootleg, but you'll get the gist of it. Other people on this forum will back me up when I say go and watch this series because it is fantastic.

*Kicks himself for not recommending this*

Awesome... Awesome... Awesome show. In addition to the 110 episodes of the main series. There's also 52 side episodes and 2 movies.

Future Grand Prix Cyber Formula. A little silly in the early TV eps (like first 12 or so) but it settles down and gets a lot better real fast. Car designs by Shoji Kawamori!

In other words, avoid it like the plague. Macross 7 fans use the same exact spiel to describe Macross 7 to others.

Hey guys. I recently got a copy of Gunbuster TV...

Gunbuster TV? What's that? I was not aware that Gunbuster had a television series, other than the made up version. Are you refering to the OAV? And don't lie to me, I know everything Gunbuster. :)

Wondering if there was any other really good anime out that that won't likely reach the U.S. on DVD anytime soon.

I've "heard" that there is a show called Macross that's pretty good...

:lol:

you're SO fired..... :ph34r:B))

You can't tell me that you didn't see that coming.

Edited by Metal_Massacre_79

Good one about macross. LOL...there's a smartass in every bunch.

As far as the Gunbuster I got was a 6 episode OVA plus the extras. I also Got Gunbuster 2.

I've seen memories. Interesting stories...they had it on PPV on directTV a while back.

Gundam. My plan is to watch Gundam ZZ but I only have about half of it. I'm sitting on Gundam X and Turn A. Still have to get Victory Gundam and the original TV series. I want to watch the whole UC story before moving on to the alternative stories. For some reason my wife loved Zeta Gundam...funny thing is that she hates all other Gundam series except Seed. She's also not a big original macross fan but she enjoyed macross plus, and macross 7. Go figure.

Thanks for the tips guys...keep em coming.

Gundam X is the bomb.... all the way up to the second to last episode. You're almost better off NOT watching the last episode and letting everything resolve in your mind. They try to tie EVERYTHING up in one episode (this was due to the fact that GX's episode count got changed so many times it wasn't even funny) Budget restraints got the better of them and everything went to poo in the last episode. Gundam series seem to be like that (I sorely hated the ending of 08th MS team and CCA)