Illinois video game sales ban?

Article

The part I think is stupid is that the game JFK Reloaded was the impetus for this ban. Wait a minute, isn't this game only on the internet? Isn't it only available from the developer?

I don't get how this translates into retail stores selling games that have been voluntarily rated.

It's one of those pieces of legislation that congressmen can point to durring the next election and say, "See how I'm looking out for your kids?" With the amount of judicial precedence against it, I can't imagine anyone realistically expects it to stick.

Somehow I knew, before clicking on the link, that a Democrat had to be behind it. Sure enough, we've got Democratic Gov. Rod Blagojevich. It seems like everytime you read about some legislation that has the government raising your kids so that you don't have to, it comes from the left.

That said, though, I don't think it's a totally bad idea. Personal responsibility doesn't seem to count for much anymore, and everytime a kid commits a violent crime, suddenly videogames are to blame, or the retailers who sold the videogames. If minors aren't allowed to buy videogames, then you either can't blame them, or you have to start examining how they got them. If a parent buys her 11-year old the new Grand Theft Auto (and yeah, I saw a lot of that during the holidays), and that kid goes on to shoot up his homeroom, suddenly the parent is in the hot seat for buying the game rather than the retailer, who isn't selling that kind of game to minors.