Alien Planet

Being a space and science addict, I rarely pass up the opportunity to watch a program about such subject matter. This saturday, a program called Alien Planet will be shown on the Discovery Channel. I've seen the show advertisied for weeks now on the front page of the IMDB (Internet Movie Database) and I must admit I'm quite interested to see what it is like.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0453446/

Though I typically avoid all television, I'm going to make an exception and check out this program. Anyone else going to watch? Does anyone know what to expect from this program? The ever-present criticisms of MW members? :)

Not really sure, since I knew very little about either program. I missed "Walking With Dinosaurs" so I can't really compare. Just from the little I've read on both shows, they do appear similar in style.

I'm sure it's just going to be a wild-eyed, "scientifically" based, speculation and conjecture fest in the guise of a nature documentary akin to "The Future is Wild" and the Dragons specials...somewhat entertaining to be sure, but hardly instructive or enlightening since it's all make-believe. However, one thing that can't be faulted with these programs is the incredible talent that goes into producing all the CG and physical effects used to depict the creatures and their environments.

As with all the previous shows in this genre, I'll be checking this one out, as it will probably be better than just about anything else on TV at the time.

From the advertisments, it seems to be a TV version of the book "Expedition" by Barlowe. So the tag line "see what scientists think is out there" is a bit of a stretch. Don't get me wrong, I like the book, but it was one guys imagination, not a scientific exercise.

Written from the point of view of a member of a scientific observation mission, there is lots of description on appearance, movement, behavior...but very little on the hard science.

If you go in with this in mind, I think it will be OK.