PS2 Macross mod chip help...

eevli

I recently bought the Sega-Am2 Macross PS2 game.

I am american and have a 39001 PS2. I hoping to collect information from those of you who are able to play this game. Whatever works!

Be it mod chip, disc, rain dance...

This is really the only reason I got this console.

Thanks!

In principle most any mod chip should work. There are also easier-to-install options like flip tops and such. Personally I wanted day-to-day convenience so I put down the money and effort for a mod-chip. In my case, the DMS4.

Before you buy a mod chip you should find out which version of the PS2 you have. (If it's the old-style PS2, that is. The slim PS2's are version 12) You can get some of that information from its model number, counting screws on the case, etc.

If you have a v12, I'm not sure what the state of modchips with that version is... Last I heard, there were issues.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/

Scroll about 2/3 of the way down the page. The people there can answer answer all your questions, but start with the FAQs.

Personally, I got a PS2 with flip-top already installed from our friendly neighborhood Chowser, and it works fine for the Macross game and a couple other Japanese imports I have.

Oh, yeah--look here, too: http://forums.psxforum.com/

Edited by ewilen

Personally, I got a PS2 with flip-top already installed from our friendly neighborhood Chowser, and it works fine for the Macross game and a couple other Japanese imports I have.

chowser... nah... he's a law abiding citizen so I know you only use it for imports :rolleyes:

I have a friend who does install but to be honest he could give a f_ck about psx2 now that the x-box is wide open and the mame emu works

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah that was some alright information but, I already know most of that info. I am looking for specific information like: If someone who has the same PS2 version as myself what method are they using?

The one reply that mentioned their modchip model was pretty decent but did he mention which version PS2 he bought? I'll have to go back and look. I was too busy thinking that I couldn't believe he hadn't seen that I had listed mine...

What I am trying to avoid is the compatibility issues with some mods for example: I have read that HDloader does not work with this game...

Who is a trustworthy retailer? Where was yours purchased from?

Thanks!

Edited by eevli

• 3 weeks later...
I recently bought the Sega-Am2 Macross PS2 game.

I am american and have a 39001 PS2. I hoping to collect information from those of you who are able to play this game. Whatever works!

Be it mod chip, disc, rain dance...

This is really the only reason I got this console.

Thanks!

If that's the only reason you got the console, why didn't you just get the JP version and spare yourself all the headache and confusion with modding a system?

Okay, I bought a modchip.

To answer the Jolly man's question: I paid ~30$ for the used PS2 that is to be modded- I priced JP PS2s... um ya.

Yes, I guess I do play some other games on it so, really I suppose it's not the only reason I bought it, but just the biggest reason that I'd ever want one.

Will let you all know clearly what my specs are if successful.

You're welcome! No problem! =)