Chemical compound for expanding Scale

RainBot

Once, a few years ago, I stumbled accross a chemical compound that basically expanded evenly in each direction when placed in a mold and then removed when dry (before expansion?).

I think it was on this site that I saw several references to it.

I am wondering if this will be a cheaper method than a 3D printing service.

The reason?

I want to make an accurate 1:6 scale Spinner from Blade Runner, using the Medicom 1:24 version as a guide.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

It's called Hydro-span, the way it works is you have to make a mold of a master, then you pour in the Hydro-span, after it sets you take it out of the mold and soak it in water for 15 days. It would take several casts and recasts to go from 1/24 to 1/6 though so it may be cheaper to use the 3d service.

gets bigger? So I could take a yammie 1/60 gbp-1s and make it 1/55 scale?!?!?

I could make super deformed fast packs for a 1/55?!?!?!

I could make a really big 1s head????

I want to know more :blink:

Yes, you could. Now remember, we are talking about mold making here, which means you would have to take apart your toy to its BASE components, like a model kit just removed from the sprues. You then must take a mold of the parts you want to enlarge. THen you pour hydro span in, and once it dries, you soak it for 14 days.

You'd better be serious if you want to take apart a 1/48, down to its base components, but it sure would be neat. Hydrospan also dries a clear blue and is like rubber, so it would make a poor final result... you'd have to make a casting of it.

It is not a 1 weekend task... it's a project. And it's expensive.

I haven't done the math yet, but 3D printing services often charge $40.00 per *square inch*.

lord knows I have no intention of recasting a 1/48, but maybe upsizing a set of 1/55 or 1/60 seeker bits to fit...

Taking things apart isn't a problem, nor is casting casts. MAybe sombody could upsize a 7" destroid to 1/48 scale. So many possibilities :blink: