Need advice on painting

Kishimoto

I have a project I'm working on that is not Macross related. Sorry that I have to ask here but maybe someone has an answer. Anyway I got to painting it and had a problem. During my customizing, I used sculpey clay to modify the look. After I sculped and baked the parts, I added it on.

But when I got to paint the whole thing, everything was dry except the altered pieces(sculpey). I used an enamel spray paint on this hoping that it would do the trick to where the custom wouldn't get scratched up during transformation.

This is going on 3 days now and still not dry. Can someone here give me advice on what I should have done, and or what to do next. Anything would be greatly appreciated.

Kish :)

Edited by Kishimoto

most stuff needs to be exposed to air to dry, even concrete. Putting a coat of paint on locks in moisture, exposing it to air allows it to dry. In the future make sure everything is dry before you paint.

Attempting to salvage this one... you can scrape off the paint and paint it again after a while. You can also drill a number of really small and shallow holes into the piece so it can dry from the inside out. Then you'd have to fill the holes, let it dry, and touch up the paint.

you might try just putting it as is in a small confined space with a lot of the desicant packs labeled "do not eat" for a few days. Rice might work but grains would stick and ruin the paint I'm guessing. Hope any of this helps.

I think he's saying that hte paint isn't drying on the sculpy. Sounds like one of those things like how lacquers won't dry on vinyl.

I'd strip the paint, and put down an acrylic primer. That should create a barrier between the sculpy and the enamel, so that the enamel can dry.

Regular Enamel paints will destroy the sculpey. Had a sculpture almost melt from the stuff.

You must use acrylic enamels only.

I would sand away the parts if you can and recoat it with Tamiya acylic enamels.

Also if you are not already doing it use super sculpy as it is a better sculpting medium.