Macross shoes

daeudi

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
http://www.pickyourshoes.com/collectible/n..._hi_shimizu.htm

(mods feel free to move this)

I haven't seen this posted while I have been lurking the past couple months... buy them while you can.

You know, I have a buddy who collects shoes and one day when he was over I casually showed them to him as a cross interest between anime and shoes.

He dropped by the other night, he'd gone out and bought them! I couldn't believe it!

Here I am, a fan since being a kid, and this guy goes and kicks my ass with genuine clothing! But not just clothing, NOOO, not a shirt, Freakin' SHOES!

He picked them up in Toronto, Canada (near where we live). Said they were about $130.00 Cdn.

I'll need shoes in a month or two, and he'll be the guy to pick them up.

BTW, they were really spiffy. A little vinyl looking and not nearly so complexly designed as any modern nike pair, but the colours, the skull, and the overall design was all Macross.

Here is my take. The designer of teh shoe is a moderate fan of macross/robotech. Prolly a newbie and doesnt knwo teh sublte differences. I mean look at the strike valk sillhouette. Crap. So many better designs that that one. Second the skull and cross bones. One of my pet peeves. If your gonna use teh skull and cross bones to represent macross, at least get it right. It is the JOLLY ROGER symbol, not pirate of the carribean. There is a unique look to teh Macross Jolly Roger that is not seen in any other skull and cross bones save cet the US Airforce Jolly Roger which is where Macross took theirs.

ugh hate fugly skull cross bones.

Isn't Nike really big in Japan? Couldn't this explain it?

As for the lack of accuracy. . . that's helpful when you're trying not to get sued for license infringement. :p

H

Here is my take. The designer of teh shoe is a moderate fan of macross/robotech. Prolly a newbie and doesnt knwo teh sublte differences. I mean look at the strike valk sillhouette. Crap. So many better designs that that one. Second the skull and cross bones. One of my pet peeves. If your gonna use teh skull and cross bones to represent macross, at least get it right. It is the JOLLY ROGER symbol, not pirate of the carribean. There is a unique look to teh Macross Jolly Roger that is not seen in any other skull and cross bones save cet the US Airforce Jolly Roger which is where Macross took theirs.

ugh hate fugly skull cross bones.

I think Hurin is right... it's for copyright that it doesn't match completely... it's officially Nike but not officially Macross.

wow, talk about old! I posted about this last year! hehe. You can't find this shirt anymore, but the shoes you can find. Danny shimizu is probably a macross fan. This would explain why he designed it this way along with the shirt.

The shirt is for sure a great buy! I got outbid several times on Evilbay :( , so anyone here with a spare?

The shoes are cool to but to be honest I will go for the shirt anyday :lol:

wow, talk about old! I posted about this last year! hehe. You can't find this shirt anymore, but the shoes you can find. Danny shimizu is probably a macross fan. This would explain why he designed it this way along with the shirt.

My buddy who bought the shoes, and collects shoes, says that Shimizu is a big Macross fan and thats why designed the shoes.

He's picking me up a pair in a few months when I have $$:-)

My buddy who bought the shoes, and collects shoes, says that Shimizu is a big Macross fan and thats why designed the shoes.

He's picking me up a pair in a few months when I have $$:-)

You are correct, it is part of nike's dunk artist series. I got a pair, they are real nice on the foot. To bad there no gerwalk mode... :lol:

snip

Edited by snip312

These are not part of the Artist Series. The Artist Series is where famous musicians, actors, etc. are invited to put their own spin on a shoe. I think they have stopped this now as there have not been any for a year or more. Each release was two or three shoes. Some of the Artist Series shoes were:

Air Max Burst by Eminem

Air Presto by Sarah Jessica Parker

Dunk High by N.E.R.D.

Air Max CB by Nelly

The Shimizu Dunk Highs are part of the SB (SkateBoard) range. SB Dunks are produced in much lower numbers than most Nike's but not as limited as the artist series. They are only sold in a limited number of skate stores. They release new ones every few months and they are usually snapped up pretty quickly although the hype has died off a bit over the last year.

Sometimes they invite artists to design colorways for SB Dunks (Futura Dunk Low) and often the sponsored riders design them, as in this case with Daniel Shimizu. Collaborations have also been done with skate and sneaker stores (Supreme Dunk High and Low, Huf Dunk High) and designs have included a number of unofficial salutes to various things (Heinieken Dunk Low, Jedi Dunk Low).

Being SB Dunks, these unofficial Macross inspired dunks will be a little hard to find and probably start at $150USD on eBay and internet stores. I ahven't been keeping up with the market lately though. Here are some spots to start looking for these if you are keen on a pair:

InStyleShoes.com in America They have a forum there but I don't visit much.

RareAirShoes.com in Australia

Niketalk.com for information. Look in the Retro Forum. You can't post here until you register and are accepted but you can read. They cut back on automatically letting people post due to the number of annoying n00bs. This is the number one place for Nike info.

To view pics of all SB Dunks visit NikeSkateBoarding.com.

Edited by Air Elijah