The MW Automotive Thread

areaseven

The M5 is a big heavy car man.  If you have 2 kids, then its probably the way to go.

339424[/snapback]

I just love that beast.. its no track car but based on some videos out of germany I've seen that thing is no slug either :D

what year is your M3 anyways? as I posted earlier in about 8 months I'm going to be getting a new car... either an '06 F-150 to throw the surfboards and dirtbikes in or a '01 or '02 ///M3... both go for about $30k which I think I can afford.

339426[/snapback]

Bought it new in 99. It is almost as fast as the current one. Consumers are stupid, they think the new one is really great but with the jump in Horsepower came a whole bunch of weight. The 01 and on M3s are WAY too heavy.

I was talking about the Lotus Elise earlier, it is only 190 hp but pulls 0-60 times close to Ferrari 360s.

Ahhhhhh......Love the BMW M, Audi S, and Mercedes AMG cars. Used to be (and still am) a Honda fan, but times and finances change and now I'm a bigger high performance German car fan.

The new M5 is probably the current king of mid-size sport sedans. The M5 has more horsepower than the relatively old supercharged E55 AMG (507 vs 469HP), but it has way less torque (383 vs 516lb-ft). Very similar 0-60 times, but the M5 will probably pull away as it has a higher top end. Of course, this may all change when AMG comes out with their new high reving naturally aspirated 6.2L V8 which will make ~510HP.

I like the different approaches taken by BMW M and Mercedes AMG to power their cars. All the BMW M cars (M3, M5, M6) have relatively low displacement naturally aspirated engines taken to a high reving concept to generate the high horsepower numbers. The torque is relatively weak at low engine speeds. In other words, you have to work/rev the car to get the power. Mercedes AMG, on the other hand, has been relying on large displacement engines (C55, SLK55, CLK55), along with supercharging in some cases (E55, CLS55, S55, SL55, CL55), and twin turbocharging in others (S65, SL65, CL65) to generate horsepower and MASSIVE torque numbers, even at low rpm's. No need to rev the engine to feel the power. M cars often are tuned to feel much better on the track, while AMG cars are tuned to be more comfortable on the streets (less stiff ride).

Different approaches for different customers. If I had the means, I would love to drive the M5 as my "family car".

However, if I didn't have kids, I would have gotten the SLK55 AMG. Hardtop convertible with a 5.4L V8 with 355HP and 376 lb-ft torque. 0-60 in the low-mid 4 seconds, 1/4 mile in the mid-high 12's. In Corvette C5 territory, but it looks a hell of a lot better!!

post-184-1130215658_thumb.jpg

post-184-1130215706_thumb.jpg

Edited by PC Valkyrie

Styling is subjective, but BMW has always been about the "ultimate driving experience". Having driven the E46 330i and M3 extensively on an autocross course at a BMW driving course, I must admit that the driving feel/feedback and confidence it creates for the driver is impressive when cornering at the limits. Sure it has a rock hard ride, but BMW M cars (and even non-M cars with sport suspension) have very good handling. Most people would consider the 3 series to be the benchmark with regards to the compact sport sedan/coupe category in terms of handling. Even though the objective performance/handling numbers are very similar between the M3 and my C55, the M3 FEELS subjectively better at the limits.

If you're really serious about the track, the SMG (or any other clutchless manual like Audi's DSG) is the way to go. Like it or not, you will shift faster using paddles rather than stepping on a clutch and manually rowing a gear shift lever. The shifts occur almost instantaneously at the fastest manual SMG setting. Look at F1 cars and even the Ferrari F430. This is the way of the future if you're looking for the best performance from a transmission. SMG sucks only when trying to go in automatic mode, where it is very jerky and feels pretty unrefined compared to a conventional automatic transmission.

Edited by PC Valkyrie

If you're really serious about the track, the SMG (or any other clutchless manual like Audi's DSG) is the way to go.  Like it or not, you will shift faster using paddles rather than stepping on a clutch and manually rowing a gear shift lever.  The shifts occur almost instantaneously at the fastest manual SMG setting.  Look at F1 cars and even the Ferrari F430.  This is the way of the future if you're looking for the best performance from a transmission.  SMG sucks only when trying to go in automatic mode, where it is very jerky and feels pretty unrefined compared to a conventional automatic transmission.

339478[/snapback]

Don't confuse F1 gearboxes for the ones they put on production cars, as they tend to be very different. I can't speak for the quality of the BMW ones, but comparing them to F1 gear is a bit silly. Next you'll be telling us all factory spoilers are worthwhile because F1 cars have spoilers too...

That said, just because BMWs have an emphasis on handling and driveability doesn't mean they can't look good too. If I was paying that much money for a car I'd like it to look decent.

And before all of you jump on my case about being a BMW-hater too, I co-drive my friends BMW racecar. ;)

And before all of you jump on my case about being a BMW-hater too, I co-drive my friends BMW racecar.  ;)

339484[/snapback]

:angry: You BMW hater! :p

I am sort of apathetic to the new BMW's. I don't think they are ugly, but nothing screams "buy me" either. Meh, too bland for the price.

Yellowlightman, what year is your friend's car? I have a neighbor with a white '86 320i that is set up for autocrossing. It may be an older car, and not everyone's cup of tea but it is a beauty in its own right.

Yellowlightman, what year is your friend's car?  I have a neighbor with a white '86 320i that is set up for autocrossing.  It may be an older car, and not everyone's cup of tea but it is a beauty in its own right.

339511[/snapback]

It's a '95 325is (or is it 328is, shows what I know :rolleyes: ). Last year it was an STX class car, so the only modifcations was some serious suspension work. This year he's decided to move into the Street Mod class (where we're going to get our butts handed to us) but that allowed him to put on a new head. It's about as fast as a stock M3 in a straight line and handles great.

I share your sentiments about being apathetic to BMWs. Not bad cars, just nothing really enticing about them. An E30 M3 would be a sweet car, but they're maitenance nightmares and expensive to keep running. The only other appealing BMWs are the E36 3-series. The M3s offer a lot of value for the money and the non-M3's are good daily drivers. The value on BMWs tends to drop pretty fast and they're pretty reliable, so it's not a bad deal.

Don't confuse F1 gearboxes for the ones they put on production cars, as they tend to be very different. I can't speak for the quality of the BMW ones, but comparing them to F1 gear is a bit silly. Next you'll be telling us all factory spoilers are worthwhile because F1 cars have spoilers too...

Take it easy dude. Everyone knows there is very little in common between an F1 car and a road car. But the CONCEPT of a clutchless sequential manual is the same between SMG/DSG and the Ferrari F430, which has the closest thing to a real F1 gearbox. Bottom line: you will shift faster, which is important if you're competitive on a track.

And aerodynamics/spoilers DO have a role, but only if your car is fast enough.....even a little lip spoiler on a trunk can exert quite a bit of downforce at high speeds (well in excess of any speed limits in North America). Why do you think Porsche Boxter's/Cayman's come with that ugly little spoiler which extends up when going fast? It certainly isn't for looks.....cause it's just an ugly thing when it's up.

Edited by PC Valkyrie

what are Elises going for off the lot these days?

do they start at around $30k?

339449[/snapback]

42 for the Elise, 55 for the Exige. I want one.

339505[/snapback]

Dude, Have you sat in one, not exactlly built to your frame, your heads going to stick out, Thiers a place over here that sells them I heard they are now strictlly Lotus and Porsche :huh: granted the numbers are good, but going from your M3 to a Elise, ,its like 2/3rd's the size,,,saw a z06 yesterday, I really like the sharp lines on the production version

what are Elises going for off the lot these days?

do they start at around $30k?

339449[/snapback]

42 for the Elise, 55 for the Exige. I want one.

339505[/snapback]

Dude, Have you sat in one, not exactlly built to your frame, your heads going to stick out, Thiers a place over here that sells them I heard they are now strictlly Lotus and Porsche :huh: granted the numbers are good, but going from your M3 to a Elise, ,its like 2/3rd's the size,,,saw a z06 yesterday, I really like the sharp lines on the production version

339573[/snapback]

The look of that car is deceiving, its just low to the ground. I have pleanty of headroom in it... They say the height limit is 6'4, and I am only 6'1.

Take it easy dude.  Everyone knows there is very little in common between an F1 car and a road car.  But the CONCEPT of a clutchless sequential manual is the same between SMG/DSG and the Ferrari F430, which has the closest thing to a real F1 gearbox.  Bottom line: you will shift faster, which is important if you're competitive on a track.

Upshifts might be faster, but any decently skilled driver should be able to downshift faster than an SMT once they get familiar with the car. And really, when talking about "shifting faster" it's a matter of fraction of seconds. If you're that concerned with lap times, you should be driving a proper race car and not a street car and the whole argument becomes moot.

The fact of the matter is that SMTs dont offer a distinct advantage over a regular clutch, they're designed for people who can't drive a standard but want to feel like a proper driver...

And aerodynamics/spoilers DO have a role, but only if your car is fast enough.....even a little lip spoiler on a trunk can exert quite a bit of downforce at high speeds (well in excess of any speed limits in North America).  Why do you think Porsche Boxter's/Cayman's come with that ugly little spoiler which extends up when going fast?  It certainly isn't for looks.....cause it's just an ugly thing when it's up.

339544[/snapback]

I never said that spoilers didn't do anything, just that they're pretty much useless for daily driving and not put on cars for any legitimate purpose. If you're driving your car on the street at a speed where you'd need a spoiler, you're an idiot and shouldn't have a license.

Now here's a funky looking number. Apparently this little diddie is based on the Honda NSX. Built by Mitsuoka Motors, this car is called the [get this] Orochi Nude-Top Roadster. Is it just me, or does this car have a really wierd looking grille? It has an almost cartoony look to it; the combination of that little "smiling mouth" grille [which is kinda silly, considering it's a mid engine car] with the big "wide eye" headlights. It reminds me of nothing so much as a big-eyed girl--maybe even an anime girl--smiling and batting her eyes at you, being "cute."

One thing's for sure though: the designer is definitely a Speed Racer fan. The similarities are very subtle, given the rounded, organic edges of the design. But they're there allright. This thing is like an homage to the Mach 5. Or is it just me? Observe the rear quarters; the hip-line "brake duct" vents, the raised [what do you call them: nacelles?] pseudo headrest vents on the rear decklid. Also observe the "three-prong" nose shape, albeit much more blunt and rounded, but still just noticable. There's the tapered hood bulge, sharpening almost to a point towards the front of the hood. Yup, I'd say this is a modern "interpretation" of the Mach 5 [i guess it'd more accurately be called Mach a Go Go's car?] It's pretty fugly, but still not as hideous as those god-awful and obviously-Corvette-based kit cars that are for sale here in the US. IIRC, there are some pics of those somewhere waaayyy back amongst the earlier posts in this thread?

post-1488-1130330697_thumb.jpg

post-1488-1130330748_thumb.jpg

post-1488-1130330770_thumb.jpg

Edited by reddsun1

Take it easy dude.  Everyone knows there is very little in common between an F1 car and a road car.  But the CONCEPT of a clutchless sequential manual is the same between SMG/DSG and the Ferrari F430, which has the closest thing to a real F1 gearbox.  Bottom line: you will shift faster, which is important if you're competitive on a track.

Upshifts might be faster, but any decently skilled driver should be able to downshift faster than an SMT once they get familiar with the car. And really, when talking about "shifting faster" it's a matter of fraction of seconds. If you're that concerned with lap times, you should be driving a proper race car and not a street car and the whole argument becomes moot.

The fact of the matter is that SMTs dont offer a distinct advantage over a regular clutch, they're designed for people who can't drive a standard but want to feel like a proper driver...

And aerodynamics/spoilers DO have a role, but only if your car is fast enough.....even a little lip spoiler on a trunk can exert quite a bit of downforce at high speeds (well in excess of any speed limits in North America).  Why do you think Porsche Boxter's/Cayman's come with that ugly little spoiler which extends up when going fast?  It certainly isn't for looks.....cause it's just an ugly thing when it's up.

339544[/snapback]

I never said that spoilers didn't do anything, just that they're pretty much useless for daily driving and not put on cars for any legitimate purpose. If you're driving your car on the street at a speed where you'd need a spoiler, you're an idiot and shouldn't have a license.

339779[/snapback]

Most of those transmissions are fakes (autos with a manual valve body) the reason you use a manual (or clutched auto) in racing is you dont lose torque and HP through a torque converter, a real F1 style trans is about 20g's and most car companies arnt going to put 1/2 the price of a car into a transmission,,,unless your Ferarri thier are plenty of sequential gearboxes that you can choose from, but you need a clutch to get the car moving and shifting isnt exactly pleasant and smooth without the clutch at 8,000 rpms.

Anybody notice a less-than-subtle resemblence between the latest Hyundai Tiburons and the last gen. of Toyota Supra? Too bad the performance isn't as close...so does that make the Tiburon a "knock-off"?

post-1488-1130339963.jpg

post-1488-1130339977_thumb.jpg

Edited by reddsun1

Anybody notice a less-than-subtle resemblence between the latest Hyundai Tiburons and the last gen. of Toyota Supra?  Too bad the performance isn't as close...so does that make the Tiburon a "knock-off"?

339818[/snapback]

well I guess when GM had pictures of ferrari's all over the Vette studio, you could call the Z06 a knock off too

;)

heh...yellowlightman....taking things a bit to heart here....you sound so angry at SMT's and spoilers!!....or maybe you just like to sound "controversial" with your opinions....

It sounds to me like you're one of those people who think that a true manual transmission is the only way to go if you're a "real driver", and that any other type of gearbox (sequential manual, automatic/manumatic) are just for people who can't drive a true manual. Fair enough, if that's what you think.....

I also enjoy driving a conventinal manual transmission car. In fact, I miss that quite a bit with my old VW Golf GTi. Nothing beats that "connected" feeling when you manually control the clutch and row through the gears. But I'm also impressed with what sequential manuals can do (like BMW's SMG and Audi's DSG) and even the latest manumatics in the high performance cars (like AMG's speed shift and Porsche's Tiptronic). Shift speeds can be lightning quick at a press of a button/paddle if you feel like a more spirited drive, but you can retain the convenience of driving without pressing a clutch, which can be REALLY helpful if you live in an urban setting. And as you point out, most people drive on city streets at reasonable speeds and not on a track. Don't knock it until you try it.....(and I don't mean what your typical Honda/Acura manumatic can do).

At the highest level of auto racing, sequential manual gearboxes are the way to go. Anything less than that, it's just really driver preference that matters.

Edit: And I do agree with you implication that you have to be a skillful driver/shifter in a manual transmission car to keep up with drivers who drive sequential manual or performance tuned automatic transmissions on a track.

Edited by PC Valkyrie

Well I took the plunge and bought my new car. I picked up a lease-return 2001 Tiburon from the lot next door. If you're quick, you can check it out HERE, before they take it down.

339795[/snapback]

Not bad at all, though the sticker price seems really high for that model. In some places, you can get a 2003 Tiburon for that price.

By the way, do you still have your GT?

Anybody notice a less-than-subtle resemblence between the latest Hyundai Tiburons and the last gen. of Toyota Supra?  Too bad the performance isn't as close...so does that make the Tiburon a "knock-off"?

339818[/snapback]

Not really. First time I saw the 2003 Tiburon, I didn't see any resemblance to the Supra. It looks more like the Ferrari 456 M.

34200310842.jpg

2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT V6

34200394428.jpg

Ferrari 456 M

339818[/snapback]

well I guess when GM had pictures of ferrari's all over the Vette studio, you could call the Z06 a knock off too

;)

339827[/snapback]

They hung Ferrari pics? Heh, that must have been done to provide inspiration or something? "This is who we've got to beat, boys..." or something. All things considered, they did pretty doggone good, as "budget" sports cars go. I only wish I could be fortunate enough to get a chance to flog the bejeezus out of a Z06. I kinda dig the old "Stingray" styling cues they put into the car. I wonder if the shape is cleaner aero-wise than the C5? Got a chance to see the C5-Rs run in the rain at Road Atlanta, and when observing the "rooster tails" they threw up in their wake at speed, there was a lot more turbulence in the air coming off the back of those cars, compared to others like the Porsches and Saleens [i know, there are a lot of other extraneous factors; i.e. rear wings, etc. at play].

I'll give you that one, A7; the reverse scoops on the fenders behind the front wheels that runs down the body does look awfully similar. But everywhere else: the general sihlouette; the shape of the greenhouse; the shape of the headlight bezels; and if you took away the little upper grill opening at the hood; it all makes me think more than anything that it's supposed to look like "Supra's little brother" or something...

The tiburon was designed by Pinnafirina, the guy who has designed every Ferrari (and his father before him), so A7, you are more correct than anyone else.

339818[/snapback]

;)

339827[/snapback]

You mean Vette, right? You DO realize that the z06 has no special body changes over the standard Vette. Not that the Vette is ugly or anything, its just not different.

339818[/snapback]

;)

339827[/snapback]

You mean Vette, right? You DO realize that the z06 has no special body changes over the standard Vette. Not that the Vette is ugly or anything, its just not different.

339851[/snapback]

its wider (to fit the 325's on a 12" rim), the corners above the wheelwells are sharper, I know, I worked on it

notice the Z06 rear fender has a body line about 3/4 up the profile of the tire, also a different hood. the top is the same, its just bolted in and trimed over top. also, the floor is diferent and its "missing" a lot of acoustical treatments for weight

http://www.chevrolet.com/i/06/pic/corvette...t_gallery08.jpg

z06

http://www.chevrolet.com/i/06/pic/corvette...t_gallery01.jpg

edit, heres the dimensions about 3" wider

Exterior (inches/millimeters) Coupe / Convertible / Z06

Wheelbase 105.7/2,685 105.7/2,685 105.7/2,685

Overall length 174.6/4,435 174.6/4,435 175.6/4,460

Body width, without mirrors 72.6/1,844 72.6/1,844 75.9/1,928

Overall height 49.0/1,245 49.1/1,248 49.0/1,245

Front track width 62.1/1,577 62.1/1,577 63.5/1,613

Rear track width 60.7/1,542 60.7/1,542 62.5/1,588

Edited by pfunk

339818[/snapback]

;)

339827[/snapback]

339851[/snapback]

its wider (to fit the 325's on a 12" rim), the corners above the wheelwells are sharper, I know, I worked on it

notice the Z06 rear fender has a body line about 3/4 up the profile of the tire, also a different hood. the top is the same, its just bolted in and trimed over top. also, the floor is diferent and its "missing" a lot of acoustical treatments for weight

z06

339858[/snapback]

HAHAHA, thats splittin hairs man. Same car. Do you think your wife would know the difference? I know my GF wouldn't.

*groan* What a shame, especially considering how rare these beauties are becoming. Yet another otherwise cool looking old ride that's been spoiled with this whole DUmB wheels treatment. Looks like the top of the front wheels ought to be rubbing/grinding on the underside of the fenders every time the dang suspension compresses. There oughta be a law, I tell ya!

post-1488-1130352629_thumb.jpg

post-1488-1130352642_thumb.jpg

post-1488-1130352654_thumb.jpg

post-1488-1130352673_thumb.jpg

Edited by reddsun1

339818[/snapback]

;)

339827[/snapback]

339851[/snapback]

z06

339858[/snapback]

HAHAHA, thats splittin hairs man. Same car. Do you think your wife would know the difference? I know my GF wouldn't.

339874[/snapback]

3 INCHES damn, my wife would notice

:blink:

actually, when you see the cars next to eachother the lines are really refined on the Z, in yeald of Yellows arguement that car is a race car and not for the faint of heart

Not bad at all, though the sticker price seems really high for that model. In some places, you can get a 2003 Tiburon for that price.

By the way, do you still have your GT?

339835[/snapback]

Those are Canadian dollars, after all (beaverbacks, we calls 'em). It's actually on the low end for those models in these parts. If I'd bought it thru a private sale, they would have been asking at least $1500 more for it. This whole province has an unrealistic way of appraising value on nearly any used commodity. :rolleyes:

And yeah, of course I still have the GT. She's safely parked for the winter in my back yard. In fact, I have to take out the battery and do some final storage prep this weekend. The Tib is nice, but its going to be another loooong winter without driving my GT. :(

*groan*  What a shame, especially considering how rare these beauties are becoming.  Yet another otherwise cool looking old ride that's been spoiled with this whole DUmB wheels treatment.  Looks like the top of the front wheels ought to be rubbing/grinding on the underside of the fenders every time the dang suspension compresses.  There oughta be a law, I tell ya!

339879[/snapback]

thats the thing I hate about boyds, trent or whatever the hell his name is, they dont make drivers, that car doesnt even have a rearview mirror on the inside or out <_< , it wouldnt take much to make it a driver though ;)