Kung Fu Hustle

Ivan

http://www.sonypictures.com/intl/cn/kungfuhustle/site/

The movie is out in Hong Kong already, but it won't be released in the US until March. And who knows what Columbia might end up doing with it. The film is made by the same people who created Shaolin Soccer. Reviews have been positive so far, but has anyone actually seen the movie?

I seen it.

Just like Shaolin Soccer, its great in Cantonese, good in Mandarin but most of the fun is gone if dubbed in English or only watching with English subs.

Like in the last part, when the beggar shows off all the kung-fu manuals. You need an understanding of Chinese kung-fu culture to get the joke (or at least read the names of the manuals).

One of the guys I work with saw it over the Christmas holiday. He said it was pretty good, but felt let down by the ending. He said he thought the ending should have had more action.

I think I'll wait unitl the DVD release then rent it. The preview I saw showed the fights as being far too over the top with too much CG for my taste.

Graham

I didn't watch it, but my friend did, and his review (edited to be more internationally readable) is as follows:

Special Effects: Quite high quality graphics, especially like the part with the 2 assassins killing the 2 masters. Lots of very Matrix like sequences.

Storyline: Huh? There's a story?

Casting: Stephen Chow's the good guy, as always. The rest are normal.

Funny? Not really.

Enjoyable? Definitely.

Nice intro, good fighting scenes in the town center, a lot of matrix effects ... , no story... , and ending was a let down.

Funny if you understand Chinese (and Cantonese) culture! A lot of the local jokes gets lost during the translation to Mandarin and English.

Shaolin Soccer had a better story and was definately funnier.

B+

Nice intro, good fighting scenes in the town center, a lot of matrix effects ... , no story... , and ending was a let down.

Funny if you understand Chinese (and Cantonese) culture! A lot of the local jokes gets lost during the translation to Mandarin and English.

Shaolin Soccer had a better story and was definately funnier.

B+

I'll go with what Neova said. And yes...its very funny in mandarin/cantonese especially all the "gangster talk" he does.

I was confused whether the show was about Stephen Chow or the other people.... <_<