DYRL and Zero DVDs?

Prime

I've decided to bite the bullet and add to my Macross DVD collection and hopefully get DYRL and the Zero series. I searched around the boards a bit and there seems to be various options, like the FX version of DYRL and so on. I am wondering what the current "state of the art" versions are for each of these shows.

I live in Canada which IIRC is Region 1, and I have a high-def widescreen TV. What might potentially be my best options, and who would it be best to order from? Thanks for any help. :)

I wouldn't waste my time with the Zero bootlegs. The ones I've seen all had horrible Engrish subtitles, to the point that it was difficult to understand what they were even talking about at some points. I'm just going to burn all five episodes (fansubbed) onto one disc, along with the OST and whatever other goodies I can find.

Best choice is the FX DYRL....Anamorphic video.  Digital Stereo sound.  I'd get this DVD before M. Zero.

Is the FX the same things as the Perfect Edition? If not, does anyone have a link for the FX version?

Also, does anyone know of future plans to release better versions of Zero?

Edited by Prime

FX is the "maker" of the Perfect Edition. When we say the "FX Edition" we mean "Perfect Edition".

As for future releases of Zero pretty much all of the "DVDs" out there macross wise (outside of a handful) are bootlegs. Boots by their nature are cheap (in material and quality) so a "better" Zero is a nebulous thing. Someone could actually hire someone who understands the english language to retranslate and resub Zero for the bootleggers and then re-release it with subs that make sense... but that rarely if ever happens. Most of the time the bootleggers just rip the same old cut they have on different discs with different art.

The only other option is to hold out hope for an R1 release. :(

FX is the "maker" of the Perfect Edition. When we say the "FX Edition" we mean "Perfect Edition".

Excellent. I assume that VALKYRIE-EXCHANGE.COM is a good place to order this from?

As for future releases of Zero pretty much all of the "DVDs" out there macross wise (outside of a handful) are bootlegs. Boots by their nature are cheap (in material and quality) so a "better" Zero is a nebulous thing. Someone could actually hire someone who understands the english language to retranslate and resub Zero for the bootleggers and then re-release it with subs that make sense... but that rarely if ever happens. Most of the time the bootleggers just rip the same old cut they have on different discs with different art.

The only other option is to hold out hope for an R1 release.  :(

Yeah, I understand that most are bootlegs and that the quality isn't going to be the same a production version. But I was just wondering if anyone had heard of versions with better subs and decent image quality on the horizon. If not, I guess too bad for me. :( I may just look into burning the downloaded subbed versions I have now...

As far as I know there is only one "script" and "release" of boot Zero DVD right now... they all are garbled engrish in the subs and you are much better off with the DL'ed ones which actually do vary between similair crap and quite good subs.

Kevin Lam at Valk Exchange is the supplier I'd recommend. He is top notch and is more "your own backyard" than some unknown on eBay. Support the local boys first is my motto and Kev's great service will keep you coming back.

I got the FX Perfect edition from Kevin and I'm happy with it in nearly every respect. The only nitpick I'd have would be with some vague dialogue--not ungrammatical, but not as clear as it could be compared to what I was able to find in a fan-created script on the web.

There is a fansub of DYRL done by Newlife Anime which is available on bittorrent. There was a thread about it not long ago. People who watched it reported that it had slightly better subs than the FX version but I don't remember how it fared otherwise.

The only reason I would get the MZero boots would be for the box art. I can't believe I paid $30+ for eps. 1-2, with horrible subtitles and a video problem in the ep. 2 disk. But the latest boots, with all five episodes, may be a reasonable last resort if you don't have the ability to download fansubs and burn them to DVD or VCD. (For help with which, see my signature.)

As far as I know there is only one "script" and "release" of boot Zero DVD right now... they all are garbled engrish in the subs and you are much better off with the DL'ed ones which actually do vary between similair crap and quite good subs.

The ones that I got off bittorrent I am quite pleased with, both from a sub standpoint and the visual quality. I'm not totally sure how close the sub is to the true dialog, but it seems decent enough for me to understand some of the finer points of the story. So I have no real interest in getting a set with poor subs.

Kevin Lam at Valk Exchange is the supplier I'd recommend. He is top notch and is more "your own backyard" than some unknown on eBay. Support the local boys first is my motto and Kev's great service will keep you coming back.

I'm all for that. I'm much more comfortable ordering from him than going the ebay route. I'll pick it up from there then. :)

The only reason I would get the MZero boots would be for the box art. I can't believe I paid $30+ for eps. 1-2, with horrible subtitles and a video problem in the ep. 2 disk. But the latest boots, with all five episodes, may be a reasonable last resort if you don't have the ability to download fansubs and burn them to DVD or VCD. (For help with which, see my signature.)

Perhaps burning the copies I have is the way to go then. I'll take a look at the information you provide with your link and see what is the best option. I may end up bugging you for more info at some point in the future. :)

ive found if your downloading zero the best ones to download were subbed by ANBU they even added in nice credits of their own to the video that dont detract from the quality. you may have to start a few downloads to find it. alot of the bad engrish ones are online now too because of the bad boots. like in epi 5 where MAO becomes MAYOR? OK? :huh::blink:<_<

Well, Mao would technically succeed her sister, no? :)

JsARCLIGHT :: I'm actually torn. I'd contacted Valk-exchange a few months abck about purcjasing the DYRL DVD, but finances fell flat and I couldn't :(

Since you were talkign about a better version (better bitrate), how reasonable do you think it is to wait?

I mean, how long have you been waiting for it and in your good opinion, how long do you think it will take? :)

I wouldn't wait if I were you.

There was some buzz last summer when HG announced they were releasing toys based on DYRL--people thought maybe they'd acquired the US distribution rights to the movie. But nothing materialized, and if they had the rights, or even thought they'd get them soon, they'd probably delay a toy release until after the movie.

So even as a rumor, an R1 DYRL release is pretty much dead. An R1 MZero release is more likely, though still pretty iffy at this point.

See the pinned legal debates thread in the Other Anime and Science Fiction forum for all the reasons why American releases are fraught with doubt.

The FX version is great. The picture is very clear and the only complaint I have about the subtitles is that they translated "sempi" to "roy", which is no big deal because thats who they are refering to in the movie, or some crazy japanese symbol in one part. Its WELL worth the 13$.

Edited by Gwynne