BBI 1:18 F/A-18 Hornet Review

Knight26

Waittaminute your MIG29K from gpxd!! AWESOME man welcome aboard!

And man I hope BBI DOES put out a MIG-29K as well! If only they would actually SAY something about whats coming out! Geez they are so secretive. MIG-29K is awesome, I LOVE those flaps on that thing and the dark navy gray blue color scheme!

Great work on the BBI Hornet!~ They should get you to design the moving pieces on their birds, you made their already awesome hornet into something way more awesome! Its like day and night man!

BRavo!

Waittaminute your MIG29K from gpxd!! AWESOME man welcome aboard!

And man I hope BBI DOES put out a MIG-29K as well!  If only they would actually SAY something about whats coming out! Geez they are so secretive.  MIG-29K is awesome, I LOVE those flaps on that thing and the dark navy gray blue color scheme!

Great work on the BBI Hornet!~  They should get you to design the moving pieces on their birds, you made their already awesome hornet into something way more awesome!  Its like day and night man!

BRavo!

419350[/snapback]

Hey Shin! I knew your name sounded highly familiar..thanks for the welcome...I'm a veritech plane junkie myself..especially since I'm also a fan of the Tomcat. About that MiG-29... I'm getting way impatient and you're right, BBI is too secretive about their releases. It sucks! I've even considered building a MiG-29 from scratch. The main challenge would be to make the cockpit glass and to neatly replicated the compound curve shapes of the fuselage. I hope at least ONE company will make one. See ya on the flipside man!!!

R

I see badcattoys has a new arrival: 1:18 "Red Devils" Hornet. Wonder how long they'll keep this one in stock?

In an unrelated note: I see they'll have a 1:18 Me 262 and a couple variants of F-86 coming later this year. This should probably go in the 1:18 discussion thread? or did we let that one lag behind a few pages?

post-1488-1153869617_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Roger that, awesome plane and pictures to boot. Has anyone picked up the 1:18 TBF-1 Avenger from 21st Century?

That is freaking amazing work man, super impressed.  Is the Avenger out?

422151[/snapback]

Its out. Showing up@walmarts. $70. S1 Atlantic grey scheme.

BTW guys I got the marineflieger F-104@Walmart for $40. No wonder people are saying its the best 1/18 aircraft out there! The slats, flaps, and rudder move! Also its a beaut and constructed well. The detail is very very good. You can see the engine from within the nozzles and I forgot the nose looking part but its in there too. The inlets are detailed too. And SPRING LOADED/LOCKED LANDING GEAR! Must buy guys, must buy!

F/A-18 Ladders and AVENGERS...

Okay first off the Avengers... They for some reason have slowly appeared at random all across the country. After reading some threads at Small Scale Headquarters, I decided to Hop over to walmart super early this morning up in Northern Washington before watching the Blue Angels Practice maneuvers today and I found some. It was sooo damned tempting to buy it, awesome ass paint job - Haze Gray and underway and its huge. Most people are saying that they havent found any... But I think give it a few weeks...its trickling.

Rnurmin, to second Knight26s reply...he's right it does store beneath the LERX... It's one of those feature of the Plane that sometimes gets overlooked. Im going to attempt to install the V-brace which secures the ladder firmly parallel against the lower fuselage. Of course...MORE MOVING parts...and more potential for complications...however I made the V-brace not long after the ladder and simply put it away for safe keeping should I decide to go bezerk in the detail dept....and it looks like I'm headed down that road.

BBi unlike other 1/18 manufacturer seems a bit hush hush about new releases...If history is any indication, PEOPLE IN MARKETING ARE STILL STUPID! I can give one example of a line of toys they could have sold a LONG ASS time ago: Those import racer cars. It took a good 6 years and now they're all over the place just as people have figured that the scene is starting to get "all played out" There is a lot of people who want aircraft such as MiG-29, F-4, F-14, Etc etc yadda yadda...and I have this feeling that they're either dumb as a cow patties or just don't damn listen to the customer base (Which is the most likely reason) thus we'll all be collecting fricken retirement and 401K by the time we even see one.

What got me is that alot of the distributors for the Avenger had refunded many of their preorders, stating that production, distribution and delivery problems would indefinitely suspend the Avenger release. No sooner than I let a friend of mine know of this supposed delay, he picks one up for me in a local Walmart.

This bird IS huge, as the wingspan is easily over 3ft. Taking it out of the box was a mistake about as big as the plane itself. I was really hoping for the dark colored "Lost Squadron" variant, but the Atlantic "Midway" scheme will do fine.

I'll try to put up some giant pictures, later...

Are any of the color schemes marine corps type? I was thinking of getting one of these for my granpa before he died, but now that he is past I would still like to get a marine corps one as a way of remembering him.

VF103, you are in WA State?! Damn man. I use to live in Renton up till about last Oct. Would have been nice to meet up with fellow Macross folks in that area. I use to work over in Bellevue and the BA would fly over my office and I had front row since I had an office window. Oh well... this will my first time in I will miss the Blue Angels over Lake Washington.

Anyways, I have the F-18 Hornet and it is hanging in my office. My coworkers think I have the best decorated office. Some bring their kids to see my 1/60 valks and the BBI F-18 during this summer. My next task is to buy and hang the Apache 1/18 scale. I have airplane posters all around my office.

Nice on what you did to the F-18. Very detail indeed. One thing I hate about the f-18 is that it has too many fuel tanks. I need more missiles for lethality. :rolleyes: As for BBI marketing dept, I have to agree with ya on that. I sent email about what else they are making or I suggest making the F-14. They gave me the song and dance that they dont disclose projects but I can discuss this on their forums.

As much as I like the 1/18 scale stuff, it is just way too big. I have the M1A1 and Bradley in 1/18 scale in hopes of doing the Iraqi freedom dioramas but reality sets in: 1/48 valks vs 1/18 scale. Space is an issue as well as time. <_< Still debating on what to do.

Oh BTW, did you get the 1/18 scale Army Blackhawk from BBI?

F/A-18 Ladders and AVENGERS...

Okay first off the Avengers...  They for some reason have slowly appeared at random all across the country.  After reading some threads at Small Scale Headquarters,  I decided to Hop over to walmart super early this morning up in Northern Washington before watching the Blue Angels Practice maneuvers today and I found some.  It was sooo damned tempting to buy it, awesome ass paint job - Haze Gray and underway and its huge.  Most people are saying that they havent found any...  But I think give it a few weeks...its trickling.

Rnurmin,  to second Knight26s reply...he's right it does store beneath the LERX... It's one of those feature of the Plane that sometimes gets overlooked.  Im going to attempt to install the V-brace which secures the ladder firmly parallel against the lower fuselage.  Of course...MORE MOVING parts...and more potential for complications...however I made the V-brace not long after the ladder and simply put it away for safe keeping should I decide to go bezerk in the detail dept....and it looks like I'm headed down that road. 

BBi unlike other 1/18 manufacturer seems a bit hush hush about new releases...If history is any indication, PEOPLE IN MARKETING ARE STILL STUPID!  I can give one example of a line of toys they could have sold a LONG ASS time ago:  Those import racer cars.  It took a good 6 years and now they're all over the place just as people have figured that the scene is starting to get "all played out"  There is a lot of people who want aircraft such as MiG-29, F-4, F-14, Etc etc yadda yadda...and I have this feeling that they're either dumb as a cow patties or just don't damn listen to the customer base (Which is the most likely reason)  thus we'll all be collecting fricken retirement and 401K by the time we even see one.

422339[/snapback]

Godzilla,

You're right SEAFAIR man! I decided to get the steppin and checkem out at Boeing Field. So what are you doing in th ATL? -Tha Filthy Dirtay South?? ATL rocks, so I take it you're a WA native? I'm up in Whoreline (Shoreline) and it's all good. Well, about a few weeks ago I bought the VF-0 from the Macross Zero series. It's bad ass...I want to see the SV-51 next. In the International District, a friend of mine Tommy, owns a store that has all robot models, etc. And up in Northgate I got another dude that hooks up good stock on the same stuff, Anime and whatnot. You're lucky you had that office window...I'm looking for a prime spot short of the log boom since the crowds are ridiculous and I dont feel like dealin with it. I'm trying to take some good photography now that I got a kick ass camera with telephoto. Well here is the latest add to my boarding ladder... I added the V-support bar that secures it to the fuselage: (and I dont have the AH-64..if I do get it, I'm changing the opening doors because they are wrong. They open from the right side! I know I know... nitpicky but it would drive me nuts) The F-18... I got it from the Museum of Flight...and for its size there was no excuse for a lack of cool moving parts and better weapons. I'm currently working on Weapons and Laser systems. Oh yeah, Send a pic of your office. This ought to be one to see !! Drop me a line: hornets_lair@hotmail.com

V-BraceMod.jpg

V-BraceMod1.jpg

V-BraceMod2.jpg

V-BraceMod3.jpg

V-BraceMod4.jpg

V-BraceMod5.jpg

V-BraceMod6.jpg

Edited by VF103

Man I will send you some pics I got last year and year before. Posted this back in Seafair 2004. Anyways, I moved back to ATL due to employment. I found a better job. I went on the navy ships as well. I was on the USS Constellation in 2002 when she came into port.

As for the anime and toy and model place. I know those places. The one in Northgate is Kicks. They use to have a place in bellevue as well. That is why I got my yamato yf-22 FP. You might want to try Anime Kingdom. I use to get a lot of stuff from them. As for the store in the International District, I always go there. Actually I go to the Japanese restaurant on the 2nd floor on Mondays after Judo around 10PM. Man I miss that place. I will post more pics of last years Seafair.

I would have invited you over to see the collection of 1/48s. And you could help me detailed my F-18... day late dollar short.

Man I will send you some pics I got last year and year before. Posted this back in Seafair 2004. Anyways,  I moved back to ATL due to employment.  I found a better job.  I went on the navy ships as well. I was on the USS Constellation in 2002 when she came into port.

As for the anime and toy and model place. I know those places.  The one in Northgate is Kicks.  They use to have a place in bellevue as well. That is why I got my yamato yf-22 FP.  You might want to try Anime Kingdom. I use to get a lot of stuff from them. As for the store in the International District, I always go there.  Actually I go to the Japanese restaurant on the 2nd floor on Mondays after Judo around 10PM. Man I miss that place. I will post more pics of last years Seafair.

I would have invited you over to see the collection of 1/48s. And you could help me detailed my F-18... day late dollar short.

422671[/snapback]

DUDE...are you talking about Ft. St. George? The one with the Bar on the left side of the staircase and the restaurant on the right? I ate there for the first time a couple nights ago and the food is badass!!! I want to go back there again. So are you originally from Georgia? What do you do for work now? When did you leave Seattle... One of the best things about living here is that it's only 2 hours from YVR (Vancouver) and if you've ever been to Richmond, they had some cool places for Anime related stuff. I'm sure you saw a lot of the changes because due to new city codes, buildings are going up faster than gremlins. I'm going to check out some of the Navy combat ships at pier 91. About Kicks..."CY" is a pretty cool cat...on occasion he'll pull me a good deal. Where is Anime Kingdom at? and lastly on the F-18 Tip...no problem. I'll send you some links to the production pics. I have every pic of all the mods in various stages. Any questions, just ask! I'm supposed to go to drop by Alabama next year but might stop by the ATL... I'll find out. Do you miss those VERN FONK and ABBEY CARPET STORE commercials?? orrr.."The Shane company...on I-5 or I-405 take the Alderwood Mall Exit"...haaaa!!

Rob

Edited by VF103

• 1 month later...

Hey y'all...thanks for the input - I couldn't let the F-16 have all the glory and I wanted a lil more sting for the Hornet. Ironically, the most expensive part of the missiles is the nose cone, I bought them in bulk package that was made for model rockets along with the tubing which happens to be made locally (Woodinville, Wa) I was planning to make more missiles but the shop ran out of the nose cones I needed and those were about $9.00 a set (yikes) so I didnt make any more. I'm gonna see if you can get nose cones in bulk for cheap - I did however start on 2 Harpoon missiles but midway through stopped because I realized that they were STILL under-scale. The bodies exist but were put aside until I know what to do with them. Haven't created any mod kits, but thats not such a bad idea.

Hey y'all...thanks for the input - I couldn't let the F-16 have all the glory and I wanted a lil more sting for the Hornet. Ironically, the most expensive part of the missiles is the nose cone, I bought them in bulk package that was made for model rockets along with the tubing which happens to be made locally (Woodinville, Wa) I was planning to make more missiles but the shop ran out of the nose cones I needed and those were about $9.00 a set (yikes) so I didnt make any more. I'm gonna see if you can get nose cones in bulk for cheap - I did however start on 2 Harpoon missiles but midway through stopped because I realized that they were STILL under-scale. The bodies exist but were put aside until I know what to do with them. Haven't created any mod kits, but thats not such a bad idea.

DO IT! I always felt the Hornet needs more lethality. What was BBI thinking? 4 bombs and 2 sidewinders? If it was going long range, why not use bombs with bigger warheads. :rolleyes: What would be cool if there was some Mavericks in its arsenal. But the 2 LGB paveways are a good option with some air-to-air capability.

Anyways look like I may need to drill some holes for the Sparrows if you do make a kit.

DO IT! I always felt the Hornet needs more lethality. What was BBI thinking? 4 bombs and 2 sidewinders? If it was going long range, why not use bombs with bigger warheads. :rolleyes: What would be cool if there was some Mavericks in its arsenal. But the 2 LGB paveways are a good option with some air-to-air capability.

Anyways look like I may need to drill some holes for the Sparrows if you do make a kit.

I have a Laser Targeting Pod in the works but I may relegate that to prototype as bugs are being worked out and wait till i can build one with actual moving parts and a "glass" front panel.

JDAM type bombs are also in the planning stage. The challenge on those is the mid-area Fin Assembly. I sorta have an idea in my head on how to do it. Harpoons are gonna be re-done and I think possibly HARMS? who knows. The F-16 armament is gonna be redone eventually. My first order is the 20MM Gatling Gun. I'm gonna have it like the Hasegawa Model where you can pull off the panels and see the Ammo Drum and Gun. I'm pretty Excited and I'm still getting reference material on it. Soo I'm gonna see what I can find on nose cones and I'll keep you posted.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...