robotech.tv

JULY 1985: LOS ANGELES, CA (KCOP) Mon-Fri @ 4:30pm

After only five months on the air, Robotech becomes the highest ranked non-news program in its timeslot, beating out shows such as KNBC News, Little House on the Prairie, What's Happening, and Plastic Man. While Robotech is ranked number 3 overall, it is only a mere 2% from the number 1 spot.

Now that's some stiff competition :p

Of course those would be the timeslots.  When else would you air a kids show?

Just keeping things in perspective. (In answer to your question, though--what about Saturday morning?)

Back in the 80's, I was watching in the afternoon timeslot in Baltimore during the summer, then at the early morning timeslot during the school year in Connecticut. Ridiculously early, given my usual schedule. I had to go from one dorm to another that had cable, usually trudging through snow, to meet up with the other Robotech geek on campus...

(...and my toes would get all frostbitten and fall off like icecicles, and I'd go "Oh no, I lost another toe" while I was watching Robotech on a tiny black and white television with a scratchy speaker. And that's the way it was and I loved it. Couldn't get enough of it. :p )

Anyway, my point (in response to Prime's comment, mainly) is that we're not exactly talking about The Simpsons here, or even a Saturday morning cartoon--it did well in a syndicated kiddie timeslot against rather weak competition, a long, long time ago.

Edited by ewilen

It was a different, better TV market back then. Less channels, but most local stations were not a network affiliate. Almost every WB, UPN, and Fox station today was an independent station back in the 80s. They all chose their own programming which tended to be kids shows in the mornings/afternoons, syndicated former prime time tv shows in between, and movies during prime time, with the larger indie stations like WPIX and Channel 9 in New York showing pro sports and having their own newscasts, something that was usually just on the ABC/CBS/NBC affiliates. Channel 9 also had the Howard Stern Show saturday nights. I have no idea how I got away with watching that show...

In most places Robotech only played on every third or fourth indie station. WPIX never really got into the show outside of a couple halfhearted attempts, and most of the other larger indies didn't show it in the CT/NY/RI/MA area either. The 2 stations that DID show it were also early converts over to Fox when they started up. (One of which we still get, and I am not sure what happened to the other one. I think they either went out of business or aren't carried locally as to not compete against the other.) It was usually shown at 630-7 AM, which meant I never saw it until the summer. It took me TWO YEARS to see all of Robotech. (We didnt get a VCR till 87 which was towards the end of Robotech's run on mass market TV.)

For its time it was quite popular. Remember there were less stations showing less stuff. Some stations showed the same shows for 5+ YEARS at the time.

During the summers I would get up at 630 or so, catch Robotech, then switch over to Nickelodeon to watch Little Prince, then maybe a Lassie episode before morning chores. The afternoon shows tended to be Casper&Popeye early on (with maybe The Monkees or Brady Bunch beforehand. Depended on if I was playing with friends or allowed time on the Atari 2600 or not..) Then there would be the classic Mid 80s fare. Silverhawks, Voltron, Tranzor Z, GI Joe, Heman, Thundercats, Transformers, Jayce & The Wheeled Warriors, and Mask. I hated repeats even then so I tended to switch shows. Once I finished one show up I would swap to another one. Which is probably why I put up with He Man, Lion Team Voltron, and Tranzor Z at all. A beggar could not be a chooser. Did I mention most of this TV until around late 87 was on a 9 inch black & white? (The morning shows were before my mom got up so I could watch Robotech and Little Prince in Color. I also got Saturday/Sunday morning huge living room console TV control too. But during the day my mom controlled the color TV. She went to bed early so I tended to get most prime time shows in color as well.) Pre primetime TV tended to include Double Dare, You Cant Do That On Television, and Danger Mouse. (Nickelodeon ROCKED back then.)

Just a personal cartoon history for those who werent born yet or still poopin their diapers in the mid 80s to give yall a better idea how this New Englander was catching shows.