Metal gear

Daishi3500

Any of u guys remember metal gear and metal gear 2: snakes revenge. All my friends say they suck, but i think that it is pretty addictive (if u have the quicksave on your emu ;) ) I have in fact played the first one for nes, but where the hell is this second one. I understand it is on the msx (is it?) Better yet, where can i find the emulator for mg2, i have searched hi and lo. If u could tell where i could find the emulator or more about mg2, it would be much appreciated :D:D:D

I use nnnesterJ as my emulator. And the rom for both is rather easy to find.

They are freakin addictive. And they /are/ beatable without save state, my brother beat both of them back when they were new games. The music for Snakes Revenge is absolutely awesome, some of the best NES music in my oppinion.

Some of the bosses are totally insane in Snakes Revenge. Theres this huge dude who can kill you damnifylingly easy and the only weakness he has is the soles of his feet. Means you have to run around like a roadrunner laying landmines and hoping he steps on them, LOL.

Snake is awesome ^___^

-BEN-MAN-

The NES version of Metal Gear is a pale shadow of the original MSX version.

Snake's Revenge is NOT Metal Gear 2. It was made without Hideo Kojima, and has been disavowed by Konami.

The true Metal Gear 2 is Solid Snake on the MSX computer, and was japanese only.

Pick an emulator here...

http://www.zophar.net/msx.html

Metal Gear can be found anywhere. Same for untranslated Solid Snake.

Personally, I tend to use http://www.planetemu.net/ just because they have lots of stuff.

The translated ROM image for Solid Snake is here...

http://www.msxnet.org/gtinter/mgear2us.htm

Note that you have to look at the MSX TWO ROM/Disk image sets for both games.

the Metal Gear series were MSX2 games.

Edited by JB0

My first NES game was metal gear, and was the best out of all the metal gear games.

I reiterate:

Metal Gear on the NES is but a pale shadow of the original MSX version.

The diffrence between the 2 games is astonishing.

BTW, you actually get to fight the Metal Gear in the MSX version, a feature that was left off the NES adaptation due to technical limitations.

Oops, i forgot your post JBO, but let me take this time to ask; do you need the msx2 to play mg2, sorry, thats the one i have been searching for all along

Both games are MSX2.

Fortunately, most emulators will do MSX2.

I've played both of them signifigantly using RuMSX, which I have to say isn't the best emu ever.

The Metal Gear is a rather awesome realistic combat robot. It actually looks like something some country would build to conqour its enemies. Has there ever been a toy made for it? Or even a good lineart picture made for it? Its a seriously awesome robot.

-BEN-MAN-

My first NES game was metal gear, and was the best out of all the metal gear games.

I reiterate:

Metal Gear on the NES is but a pale shadow of the original MSX version.

The diffrence between the 2 games is astonishing.

BTW, you actually get to fight the Metal Gear in the MSX version, a feature that was left off the NES adaptation due to technical limitations.

lol, I always wondered why the final boss was the supercomputer and not metal gear.

"Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake" is, to this day, my favorite Metal Gear game... it's also damn hard!

You know you have a genuine Metal Gear game if Snake intrudes by water (at least I hope so.. I haven't played the game boy version of "Metal Gear Solid" or "Metal Gear: Ghost Babel"... and in Sons of Liberty he intruded onto a boat that was IN the water, so it counts)

None of this "Airdropping in to kill General Vernon Kataffy" or whatever nonsense...

Some minor differences between NES Metal Gear and MSN Metal Gear

(NES):Turret gunner bosses (on roof) (MSX): Hind D

(NES):Airdrop intrusion (MSX): SCUBA/water intrusion

(NES):no picture by transciever (MSX): small picture of snake by the transceiver

BOTH HAVE PRETTY GOOD MUSIC, JUST DIFFERENT

(if you want to hear stage music from the MSX version,

just play the virtual missions on Metal Gear Solid)

(NES):Brighter colors (MSX): Much darker color scheme, more military

(NES):Easier (MSX): Much harder

Stages vary slightly on both versions...and the MSX version

features a Parachute (and MG:SS has a hang glider)

(NES):Supercomputer boss? (MSX): Metal Gear boss

That's just some of it, I know there's more. Most American fans do not know the joy that is "Metal Gear2: Solid Snake". It was the forerunner to Metal Gear Solid (in fact, parts of the game are frighteningly similar). I strongly reccomend this download!

Edited by Skull Leader

Say, does /anyone/ remember this one game... Im at my witts end. None of my friends remember it. It was for the NES, I remember my brother renting it in a video store, it was next to the popular titles like Metroid and stuff.

The cover had a train on a bridge de-railing into a river, and there were two dudes on the cover. It took place in the jungle I think. It was a one person, or simultaneous two person game. It was an overhead view game, like Metal Gear. You'd run around, shooting people, and you could hop into these funky little tanks, and use them to drive around, crush people, and the like.

One of the later levels involved you jumping out of some kind of Rail vehicle before it derailed.

I know its a bit off topic.. But does /ANYONE/ remember this game? I remember it being fun, but I only palyed it a bit, and these memories are freakin ANCIENT. So yah.

-BEN-MAN-

Say, does /anyone/ remember this one game... Im at my witts end. None of my friends remember it. It was for the NES, I remember my brother renting it in a video store, it was next to the popular titles like Metroid and stuff.

The cover had a train on a bridge de-railing into a river, and there were two dudes on the cover. It took place in the jungle I think. It was a one person, or simultaneous two person game. It was an overhead view game, like Metal Gear. You'd run around, shooting people, and you could hop into these funky little tanks, and use them to drive around, crush people, and the like.

One of the later levels involved you jumping out of some kind of Rail vehicle before it derailed.

I know its a bit off topic.. But does /ANYONE/ remember this game? I remember it being fun, but I only palyed it a bit, and these memories are freakin ANCIENT. So yah.

-BEN-MAN-

Sounds like Ikari Warriors.

Thats very odd... After you mentioned it, I download the ROM and played it, and it is the same game! Or at least appears to be. However, the cover of the cartridge does not have a cool picture of a train de-railing off of a bridge into a river, like in the movie 'Bridge Over The River Kwai'. So now im confused. Maybe there was two covers for this game?

Edit:: And actually... Theres only one level to Ikari Warriors!! You just keep running and blowing things away. I remember the tanks... But Im /sure/ there were other levels. Maybe im just going insane.

-BEN-MAN-

Edited by DestroidsRage

maybe Guerrilla War?

Edited by Ladic

Yeah, sounds like Ikari Warriors or Ikari Warriors 2:"Victory Road", neither of which were very impressive and both are very long. I got almost all the way to the end of the first one and I beat the second one.

IIRC, both only had one stage, the terrain just changed as you went on.

They were much easier to play on the NES than they were in the arcades, where you had to rotate the damn joystick to change your angle of fire... highly annoying.

How come everyone loathes Snakes Revenge? Its a very ODD game, yes. He runs around in a weird red jumpsuit, weird girls call him over the radio professing their love to him, its all very odd. And yes, its not a real Metal Gear game.

So?

Its still very fun, and probably has one of the BEST soundtracks from any NES game. Its hard as hell, but it is beatable. And its mad fun if you get into it. I dont see why everyone hates it. Doesnt make a DAMN bit of sense to me.

-BEN-MAN-

Its still very fun, and probably has one of the BEST soundtracks from any NES game. Its hard as hell, but it is beatable. And its mad fun if you get into it. I dont see why everyone hates it. Doesnt make a DAMN bit of sense to me.

-BEN-MAN-

While I think it's a steaming pile, I understand others may like it. As a game, it's functional, I just didn't think it was worthy of the title "Metal Gear" (I thought similar thoughts about FF7, but that's another matter)