Dreamwave transformers

GobotFool

I love these comics. Good art, good stories. Lots of fun. A slightly matured approach to the transformers story line, and I like it. The WW2 transformers GI Joe comic has awsome art. Starscream as a old school prop plane, wow! One of the better alternate reality stories.

Do you mean all of them (MTMTE, Armada, G1, and TF vs G.I. Joe)?

I think Vol 2 of G1 is pretty cool. Much better than Vol. 1. That's somthing I pretend that it never existed.

MTMTE books are very cool and Armada is picking up.

I don't care for Jae Lee's art in TF vs G.I. Joe though. Too dark and boring...

terry the lone wolf Posted on Sep 14 2003, 09:24 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pat Lee is the king of Transmech!!!

Ugh!! I think he's the worst part of the TF comic revival.....

I think anyone else at DW is SOOOO much better. His Optimus is always inconsistant and horrible looking.

what a lot of peopel like about pat lee's optimus prime is the fact that he is big. I however lost favor in it quiet some time ago and understan why a lot of you don't like it. If anything what a lot of peolple like about dreamwave is not actually the drawing but the COLORS.

I like james raiz' work. I do not like guido guidi's work. TOo simple looking. Sure predaking rules but it was too plain for my tastes. Even the armada mini comics with the toys...james clearly shows superioirity to guidi.

What i DO like is TF vs Gi joe. Jae LEE does some GREAT work. high contrast ink shading and such. HE is awesome. While I do think pat les sis talented and I do respect him, its a turn off seeing prime on a cover being all out of propotion and such. One voer has priome's legs getting curved. weird

anyuways on seibretron.co they had a comparison showing his influences from comic bon bon.

I jsut wish he drew him more in propotion.

anyways hasbro had a big ass prime sand at OFTCC. it loked AWESOME and i proportion. evcen resembnled masterpiece prime a LOT.

I still got quite a few of the old 80's Transformer's issues, they weren't great in my own opinion, rather, uuuhhh well it's just hard to describe from what I feel...no words can I suppose.

I have every issue 1-12 and the 2 part GI Joe special with Megatron's refit into a tank, of G2, and I thought at times, while it was real good (was in 4th grade at the time too) and stood out, it gave though the Transformers a much more darker, and villianious concept compared to everything else.

Alot of the loved characters from the show die in the comic, I think the first death was Mirage when he got blasted right through the neck with a big cannon, no wait it was Fortress Maximus in issue 2, than it was Mirage in issue 4.

While the stories were okay, I had trouble with the art, it was rather blocky and dark colored, plus I didn't get use to the necks, instead of having the typical plating to cover the servo's and wires, they just exposed all the wires and mechanical what nots as the neck itself....it was sorta odd and in many of my mechanical art back than had wires 0_o for necks.

I've briefly read issues here and there at the comic shop near by for Transformers, but it's so far into it, I can't go back to read issue 1 unless I look around :(, but I do rather enjoy the artwork.

If anything what a lot of peolple like about dreamwave is not actually the drawing but the COLORS.

I agree. I think people are often impressed by how many layers in Photoshop a comic can use on one page than the actual quality of the art itself. All the colors just serve to really hide the flaws IMO.

so true vinnie, so true.

Which is why i love Jae LEE's work on TF/gijoe. Such a god send that Pat LEe did not pencil that crosover.

Any of you trqansfans on here that dislike Pat LEE's work or want something DIFFERENT and definitely more finearts and DRAWING not COLOR orientated, then get TF/Gi joe. You won't be dissapointed.

Jae even got to ink his own work in this crossover!! kick arse~!! Also it's a light color thing. Think of it as a transcended 80's look.

Whao, whao, whao. Hold on a minute, people. I think I may be insulted!

Are you guys saying you believe it takes no talent to lay down good colours for an illustration?

I agree. I think people are often impressed by how many layers in Photoshop a comic can use on one page than the actual quality of the art itself. All the colors just serve to really hide the flaws IMO.

This is true, to an extent. People will often be impressed with tons of overly bright colours, blur filters, and lense flares, but a decent, well done colouring job takes just as much skill as drawing good line art. Being done in Photoshop doesn't make it any easier, in fact it makes it more difficult for people with poor colour sense. When you use traditional media, you're limited by the colours you have present. In Photoshop, though, you have all the colours of the rainbow, and too many digital painters have no clue how to keep their colours under control, which is why we see so much digital art that just screams PHOTOSHOP. Which is why I'm always impressed when I see well done digital colouring.

When I colour an image in Photoshop, I tend to add a lot more detail with the colours themselves. The colouring work is every bit as important as the drawing itself.

Colour has nothing to do with fine arts? I'm afraid you're very mistaken. Colour theory is a very important part of art.

If, on the other hand, you're saying that people should be praising the colourists instead of the illustraters at Dreamwave, well, I can't entirely disagree with that. There are a lot of good illustrators in that group, though.

dude i am an art education major and a sophmore at art school. I know my share and have been throught eh

botcamp" of art foundations with color theory and so forth.

we are NOT saying it takes NO talent to do good colors.

I respect those who do good colors. Yes I know it takes a mastery of color theory to do good colors. And dreamwave does some of that well. wwhat we MEAN is that with dreamwave their colors are KNOWN more than thier actual drawing skills.

there have been discussions about dreamwave and how they utilize photoshop. Its true a lot of comni peolpe over kill the PS software. Dreamwave soemtimes does this and sometimes yoyu can TELL its the colors that make SOME of their work shine and not their actual drawings.

To emphasize what we mean again...

Some qpeolpe use color or detail to disguise their mistakes. How Do i know? I was nototrious for using detaila nd shading over form. Look at Pat LEE's optimus prime. Look at the colors. take the colors away.

See what happens. Pat LEe I respect but even I do not lik his renditions at times. Which is why I love Jae LEE's work.

some people DEPEND on color. Dreamwave seems to be like this. Not everyone on their team but it seems like their thing. And if thats whatn they lke doing then by all means do it. I like their painterly feel in some books but lets face it a l.ot of us still like good old fashioned PEN AND INK work.

ya know...pencils and inks that don;t NEED color!!!!! to look GOOD.

I wasn't dissing any colorists or anyone else with what I said in the previous posts and what i said now. Don't take what I said personal.

why i compared jae lee to fine arts? look at his inks. that explains it. It looks realistic as well and not animed out. I did NOT say color was not important!!!

i said those of you who are tired of the colors(should have said dreamwave's usua;l photoshop colors) and are more INTO fine arts should check out his stuff!!!

and to boil it down...

what me and vinnie were trying to say is that much of dreamwave's praise is for the colors and not the actual drawing itself!!

shoot I like james raiz better than pat lee11 unfoertunately he left since he didnt want to do all manga influenced stuff.

Some peopel who loove pat lee don't realize he's not always doing the colorws. its weird they think he does te whole product.

\also he gets much flak frfom his opptimus prime.