Cat Soup

areaseven

catsoupcover.jpg16up.gif

Nekojiru-so ( ねこぢる草 )

J.C. Staff/King Records, 2001

Software Sculptors, 2003

Directed by Tatsuo Sato (Stellvia, Martian Successor Nadesico)

Rated 16-Up for extreme violence and gore, and suggestive drug use on the part of the production staff.

Based on the manga by the late Nekojiru. Kittens Nyanko and Nyatta travel to the far reaches of surrealism to recover Nyanko's soul from Death.

Story: C- (B+ if drunk)

Of all the anime on crack that I've reviewed, Cat Soup is, arguably, the most messed up of the bunch. It seems like a cute anime at first, but viewers will be disturbed by the random mutilation scenes like a magician cutting up his female assistant or the cats carving up a pig alive and serving it its fried innards. It may take you a whole bottle of vodka or sake to comprehend this abstract maze of an anime.

Animation: B

The artwork itself is very crude, but Cat Soup has some of the most provocative camera angles used in an anime. It does, however, boast some impressive 3D effects.

Soundtrack: B+

The background music is very creepy and as disturbing as the anime itself.

Cast

NONE. There's absolutely no dialogue in this anime.

DVD Extras: A-

You get an interview with director Tatsuo Sato, who explains the background of this project. Sato also supplies additional audio commentary on the anime. In addition, Cat Soup also comes with a limited edition liquid cover filled with water and red fluid that's supposed to be blood.

The Bottom Line

Another anime not worth watching sober.

Links

J.C. Staff's Official Cat Soup Homepage (Japanese)

Reference

Anime News Network

I loved this show! Just bizarre and fun to watch. The cat loses half it's soul and the little brother cat helps find it. They have all of these really bizarre adventures. I say rent it if you like shows like Totoro and Spirited Away though this show is a little more gruesome. Not much talking, just 45 minutes of weirdness, in a fun sort of way.

A7, I kinda wished you posted this sooner. I actually saw Dead Leaves and Cat Soup back to back yesterday afternoon. I had never heard of either and wish I had a warning before viewing. By the time it was over, my now injured mind kept refering to what I saw as "Dead Cat and Leaves Soup"! Damn anime club.....

Edited by Jemstone

So on a scale of strangeness, how does this rate? Are we talking Bobobo weird? Because that little jem was almost more than I could handle.

With the recent anime on crack that I've reviewed, each title relies on one certain aspect:

Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo - Gross hygeine

Puni Puni Poemy - T&A, HLA, S&M and suggestive sex with a minor

The Super Milk-chan Show - Excessive profanity

Much like Itchy and Scratchy, Cat Soup relies on violence, blood and mutilation scenes - only somewhat more extreme. So, unless you frequent Ogrish.com, Cat Soup is not for the weak of heart.