Earthquakes and Typhoons

Mappy

but this has nothing to do with that. I'm annoyed. I just learned that to date I've slept through 2 earthquakes and 1 typhoon! I'm English, I want my doom and gloom :(

Isn't the news enough? :lol:

but this has nothing to do with that.  I'm annoyed. I just learned that to date I've slept through 2 earthquakes and 1 typhoon! I'm English, I want my doom and gloom :(

Want help keeping awake?

Well, Tokyo is hit by devestating natural disasters or fires so often (on a geological timescale) that the residents used to call them "flowers of Edo". The Great Kanto Earthquake in the 1920s pretty much flattened the entire city. They get one like every 80 years or so.

Yes, that means they're rather overdue... ;) One geologist has called Tokyo "the city waiting to die"...!

And thats of course forgetting the rogue ESP experiments, cross-dimensional tears in space/time, military prototypes going berserk, cat-girl invasions, mecha invasions, demon beast invasions, and, of course, the English... :p

Edited by F-ZeroOne

but this has nothing to do with that.  I'm annoyed. I just learned that to date I've slept through 2 earthquakes and 1 typhoon! I'm English, I want my doom and gloom :(

Want help keeping awake?

Well, Tokyo is hit by devestating natural disasters or fires so often (on a geological timescale) that the residents used to call them "flowers of Edo". The Great Kanto Earthquake in the 1920s pretty much flattened the entire city. They get one like every 80 years or so.

Yes, that means they're rather overdue... ;) One geologist has called Tokyo "the city waiting to die"...!

And thats of course forgetting the rogue ESP experiments, cross-dimensional tears in space/time, military prototypes going berserk, cat-girl invasions, mecha invasions, demon beast invasions, and, of course, the English... :p

I was wondering when you'd turn up with your ever so bright outlook on life :D If I'm going to die then I'd rather die here than in Reading though I would like to see high winds the challenge that of what we get in England as that would be impressive though sadly, the next typhoon that's coming will (once again) be passing over Tokyo during the evening so I get a lot of rain and mopeyness but not desaster. IT'S JUST NOT ENGLISH! And there's no use looking at the news as Japan has a serious shortage of crime and there's very little to report on. Though it is a refreashing change to walk through the back streets of a city and not get mugged like in Reading >_>

And thats of course forgetting the rogue ESP experiments, cross-dimensional tears in space/time, military prototypes going berserk, cat-girl invasions, mecha invasions, demon beast invasions, and, of course, the English... 

Aren't you forgetting the most common Tokyo invasion of all? What is Gojira (Godzilla), chopped liver?

Besides, one man's typhoon is another man's hurricane. You want a typhoon? Just visit the state of Florida. You'll get yourself a nice Atlantic Ocean thyphoon, a hurricane!

Mappy doesn't believe in Gojira - he doesn't think that a 55,000 ton radioactive monster can be "cute".

I believe that finding a giant footprint where his flat used to be will convince him otherwise... :p

A flat.. flat.

Glad to hear you're okay, Mappy. Incidentally, if a 55,000 ton radioactive monster knocks on the door...

...er...

...not much you can do about it. ;)

I feel I should explain, by the way, for those MWers who live in Tornado Alley and can't walk down the street for a newspaper without being picked up and thrown into the next state... Mappy and me are English, and for the English, the weather is a subject of a national obsession second only to the subject of tea. This is despite the fact that, compared to just about every other country on the planet, on a scale starting with hurricanes, we don't actually have any weather... :rolleyes:

! feel I should explain, by the way, for those MWers who live in Tornado Alley and can't walk down the street for a newspaper without being picked up and thrown into the next state... Mappy and me are English, and for the English, the weather is a subject of a national obsession second only to the subject of tea. This is despite the fact that, compared to just about every other country on the planet, on a scale starting with hurricanes, we don't actually have any weather... :rolleyes:

Why exactly is that? I've never understood why my English friends enjoy talking about the weather so much (particularly when it's not their native climate). Is the weather in England that interesting or uninteresting that makes the weather elsewhere worth talking about?

I think its spite. The British, for no sane reason, have a deeply held belief that the weather must conform to the traditional four-seasons format - i.e. spring has showers, summer is hot and perfect for playing test matches [1], autumn is bracing and filled with bright primary colours, and winter will be ideal for making snowmen. Every year, the weather refuses to conform to belief, and thus incurs the wrath of the public... :rolleyes:

[1] A form of cricket which can last for three days and still end in a draw. No, really...

Edited by F-ZeroOne

I think its spite. The British, for no sane reason, have a deeply held belief that the weather must conform to the traditional four-seasons format - i.e. spring has showers, summer is hot and perfect for playing test matches [1], autumn is bracing and filled with bright primary colours, and winter will be ideal for making snowmen. Every year, the weather refuses to conform to belief, and thus incurs the wrath of the public... :rolleyes:

[1] A form of cricket which can last for three days and still end in a draw. No, really...

Don't forget, it gives us something to moan about. Being a grumpy old fart is in our genes.

After hearing that the Bandai museum has a massive robot in it, I'm very tempted to go overdrawn just to see it!

After hearing that the Bandai museum has a massive robot in it, I'm very tempted to go overdrawn just to see it!

Got him. At long last, I've got him... :ph34r:

Had it not been for "Moe" and her friends at the Pina Fore Cafe http://pinafore.jp/ You may have converted me. It was a close shave for the head of the CGC.

Once you get mecha in your soul, its far, far too late, Mappy... :lol:

(for observers - Mappy and me have different tastes in anime; hes for cat-girls and other devestating amounts of cute, whereas I'm for Peace and Justice as expressed by giant robots... :lol: )

Got him. At long last, I've got him... :ph34r:

Had it not been for "Moe" and her friends at the Pina Fore Cafe http://pinafore.jp/ You may have converted me. It was a close shave for the head of the CGC.

Once you get mecha in your soul, its far, far too late, Mappy... :lol:

(for observers - Mappy and me have different tastes in anime; hes for cat-girls and other devestating amounts of cute, whereas I'm for Peace and Justice as expressed by giant robots... :lol: )

There's an exception to every rule, my son, you're now talking to him.

Yes, I am very much on the darkside as my Hello Kitty collection shall become legendary in Japan when the TV crew gets to my new apartment (just moved in.)

Jcat (the one married to the beautiful cosplay the B'RD) always seems to call F Zero One "Justice san" as he misunderstood Justin. It's an unfortunate mistake which for some reason he's not correcting.

mata nya,

mappy

"Justice-san"?! Oh, I like that. I like that a lot... B)) (Justin is my "real" name).

Funnily enough, JCat is not far off - I'm told that my first name has roots that mean "one who is just" while my surname has roots in "pilgrim". So...

"Justice-san! Pilgrim of JUSTICE! Coming to DVD this fall!" :lol:

"Justice-san"?! Oh, I like that. I like that a lot... B)) (Justin is my "real" name).

Funnily enough, JCat is not far off - I'm told that my first name has roots that mean "one who is just" while my surname has roots in "pilgrim". So...

"Justice-san! Pilgrim of JUSTICE! Coming to DVD this fall!" :lol:

I'll be going NYO NYO NYO all over NHK when that happens :)