MAX VF-1A TV

DatterBoy

Was watching the old TV series last night. I'm gonna make this one out of a Yammie 1/60 with perfect transformation.

batt%209.jpg

Swing bars as found on that other site,

PERFECT TRANSFORMATION 1/60

but am having a hard time finding pieces of metal to act as the swing bars. I'm thinking of getting some durable plastiv and trying to theraform it (hold it over the stove till I can bend it)....

Anyone have any better ideas of how I can get this piece or where I should look? It's a weird shape, kinda L shaped to have the right shape.

Also going to make it from a VF-1A DYRL Hikaru and make it fast pack compatible.

Thanks

:Dat

Though I like the look of the blue heat shield, IIRC the heatshield is white with a small white line with three sections going across it. Even the Wonderfest custom was like this and I could show you screen caps but those aren't always reliable.

POWERED BY PHO

For real. :)

I was wondering where I could get those metal strips. Looked to me like the guy who did it got it off one his desk benches or something but could not tell since I could not read the Japanese (thought it was chinese). That's my biggets isue right now, getting the metal strips. Is that something hobby shops carry in general?

EXO:

Yeah, the blue heat shiled Is somethign i just guseed at when I made the model since I lent out my DVD's at the time. I do plan to make it like the TV as close as possible unless I percieve something would look way better another way. Put some shot's up. Would be good references.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So here's the deal, I went out and looked for the metal bars to make the hip bars from but could not find anything good. Have not tried a hobby shop yet cuz I dont know of any round here. Took my 1/60 hikaru I got for 22$ apart and it still lies in pieces. I totally want that perfect transformation 1/60 but dont know where to get the parts for it nor do I have much faith in my metal working skills to bend and cut some pieves to fit...

Not sure where this project is going but I may just make a nice 1/60 max tv...

Thanks for the ref EXO

no prob, Dat...

Sorry scand... I missed your post, next time try PMing me... here's the reference lineart.

As you can see it's just like the Bndai head but not as fat... It doesn't have a black frame around the optic visors like its DYRL counterpart...

post-24-1068017449_thumb.jpg

Edited by >EXO<

no prob, Dat...

Sorry scand... I missed your post, next time try PMing me... here's the reference lineart.

As you can see it's just like the Bndai head but not as fat... It doesn't have a black frame around the optic visors like its DYRL counterpart...

Look, other than the colour differences in the DYRL and the TV head is there any real structural differences? All I can make out is that they are exactly identical. If I wanted to be nitpicky, I'd say that the black frame around the eye sensor is a lot longer on DYRL? valks than on TV VF-1As.

Edited by kensei

Well then, my custom Max VF-1A will have a DYRL? head painted in TV colours then. Seriously though, if Yamato brings out a TV VF-1A Max then I hope that they don't shorten the length of the optical sensor. Seriously, it looks like it had it's face pushed in.

Cool, can't wait to see it...  what scale are you doing it in???

Oh, I'll do it in 1/48. I'll be doing four of them, with help from a professional modeller if Yamato doesn't come up with them in the meantime, as well as four Kakizaki TV variants. But honestly my MW brother, does the blackframe around the optical sensor really matter? I just tried to imagine it in blue and brown respectively, and just think: bleh. Guess I'll actually try it first though.

Edited by kensei

Why 4? Oh that's simple. One to display in Fighter, one in GERWALK and one In Battroid mode. I was going to do an extra three, to do the same as mentioned only with FAST packs but thought, nah didn't need to, as those customs weren't around when the FAST Packs were invented.

Oh, and the fourth? That's for playing with! :D

Hey I've got a couple of questions about Max's color scheme.

1.) The circles on the legs are what color?

2.) The arrows on the head are green?

3.) The sensors on the side of the intakes are totally blue or blue and white?

(the pics of the 1/48 look totally blue but I can't tell for sure)

4.) Only the tips of the tailfins are blue, not the tips of the wings, correct?

Thanks

I guess I'll be throwing more putty onto the head to get rid of those arrows.

Thanks

Overspray is my worst enemy! Sometimes, I don't even know why I bother masking :(

And Datterboy, Don't mean to hijack your thread. Just seems like an appropriate place to ask questions. I am interested in seeing your work when your done.

aghh! To late! I've already painted them.

Not saying that it's correct or anything but if you look at the Ben Dixon Master piece the tips of the fins are brown but the wing tips are white. I'm assuming Max's scheme is the same but blue. However, I think I can live with it. It really boils down to a matter of personel preference. I've looked all through perfect memory and could not find any pics. I may try and watch some of the series tonight.

I'd like to see how Toynami Painted the macross version Max superposeable. Does anybody have pics?

It's not really a big deal. There's not a lot of official pics of Max's VF-1A and you can certainly never rely on animation as they have plenty of mistakes. I'm going to put a white "U.N. SPACY text on mine even thought there are no pics to be found that suggest they are there.

Yeah! I would just assume the there is a white U.N. Spacey on the legs. Even though I can't recall any examples of it. like you said, you can only take so much from the animation.

It stinks that a Max 1A has never been mass produced. Theres not really much to go by.