HWR-00 mk X Star Slam image request

wolframbane

:o good lord what a awesome missle, looks a little funny with it on top of it like that but really cool nontheless. is this one variable?

There was a variant of the Monster called the Star Slam mentioned on th Macross Compendium, but little or no info has been given about it (along with others like the Earth Trekker, matador and Goblin II). In some Japanese modelling magazine, several of these 'unseen mecha' were interpreted by modellers.

The missile used on the top is an Nike Hercules (SAM-N-25) missile (this exists in real life).

I was wondering what came first? Were they canon (but unseen) mecha (because they are mentioned on Egan Loo's Macross Compendium) which inspired modellers to make the models? Or were they created by the modellers, and later Egan Loo added them to the Compendium, and the names were never official?

Am I the only one who thinks the heat from the propeller should burn the cockpit when the thing is fired? :huh:

I have yet to see a ICBM with a propeller, though it would be amusing. And on a similar note, why does a mech with a ICBM stapped to it's head have relatively short range weaponry for arms. If you're launching that nuke at what you're hitting with that artillary, you're going to have some problems, namely you getting incinerated.

By the way, does this remind anyone of Metal Gear?

I doubt you could get much better resolution than that larger picture. The photos in Macross Hobby Handbook aren't all that big to begin with.

I don't particularly like this one. It's just impractical to carry a missile like that around on a slow-moving destroid. Might as well stick it on an all-terrain crawler or a fixed launchpad.

I'm positive that Egan Loo didn't add stuff to the Compendium based solely on unofficial customs by modellers. He's always been painstakingly careful to only include official information, and he's corrrected others for passing off stuff from the Hobby Handbook as canon.

Am I the only one who thinks the heat from the propeller should burn the cockpit when the thing is fired?  :huh:

I have yet to see a ICBM with a propeller, though it would be amusing.

Indeed: I meant a reactor, it was a bad translation from me... :p

Am I the only one who thinks the heat from the propeller should burn the cockpit when the thing is fired?  :huh:

I have yet to see a ICBM with a propeller, though it would be amusing. And on a similar note, why does a mech with a ICBM stapped to it's head have relatively short range weaponry for arms. If you're launching that nuke at what you're hitting with that artillary, you're going to have some problems, namely you getting incinerated.

By the way, does this remind anyone of Metal Gear?

RAY!!!

propeller- maybe propellant? (Iknow, he already declared it a typo)

Short range weapons: if you note, It has ICBM, x2 Tomahawk style cannons on Left arm, and pepperbox of short range missiles on right arm....

Can anyone say Self Defense? These would be earth based, probable in underground bunkers. When enemy ships arrive, they march the ICBM out, fire it at enemy ships, then engage enemy ground forces with arm weapons...

The heat from ICBM..... good point, but then again- I always wondered if NASA has to throw away a shuttle Launch tower every time... elevator and all?

Edited by daeudi

The Pic I posted is a crop of Page 15 of the Hobby Handbook that (I Believe his name was) BEN-MAN posted a while back. And I am eternally grateful that someone was willing to destroy the spine of a rare book so that others can see the scanned pages.

With the material that Macross mecha are made from, and the speed at which the missle would clear the pad, I don't think that the heat would be the problem. The space shuttle can fairly easily handle comparable tempatures, except when there's a leak in the heat shield...

Upon further examination, the missile may not actually be a Nike Hercules. My research would seem to indicate that the missile is too small compared to the HWR-00 body.

The dimensions of the HWR-00 mk II Monster (the chassis on which the HWR-00 mk X Star Slam is built) have an overall length of 41 m (w/ cannons), and about 22 m for just the body. The overall length of the actual modern Nike Hercules is 12.5 m.

It would seem that the missile indicated on the Star Slam is not actually a Nike Hercules, but only shares its outward appearance. The overall length og the Star Slam missile would be about 50 m (about 4 times larger than the Nike Hercules).

I agree... I doubt it's supposed to be an actual Nike Hercules. The modeler probably just thought it looked cool and used it.

Wild... that model brings back memories, although not of the Macross variety. There was a National Guard Armory off of 8 Mile (yes, that 8 Mile) here in Detroit that had a Nike Hercules and some other cold war-era missle displayed on the front lawn painted up all patriotic-like in red, white 'n' blue. I haven' been out that way in a long time... I wonder if they're still on display...

Edited by Amped

Is that supposed to be a cannon on the underside of the main missle launcher?

The Pic I posted is a crop of Page 15 of the Hobby Handbook that (I Believe his name was) BEN-MAN posted a while back. And I am eternally grateful that someone was willing to destroy the spine of a rare book so that others can see the scanned pages.

Yeah, he was awesome for doing that.

He scanned the whole thing then put it in a Yahoo briefcase account or something, does anyone have the link, if it's still online?

Yeah, he was awesome for doing that.

He scanned the whole thing then put it in a Yahoo briefcase account or something, does anyone have the link, if it's still online?

i was able to save all the pics to my hard drive. if anyone can donate 4 megs of space i can give them a copy to put up.

edit: change 10megs to 4; had some other pics in the folder with it.

Edited by Zentrandude

I think if it's just 4MB (I assume it's a zip file) you can upload it onto the boards for a limited time until everyone who wants it has downloaded it. That's what some people did with MP3s in the past.

Might be best to ask Shawn first, though.

Those are not just 2 cannons on the left arm.... those are in fact:

2 x Mauler PBG-11 liquid-cooled electrically-charged particle beam gun

The exact same cannons on the Tomahawk.

For those who want that detail.

Like Ewilen said... imacross is the option...

I got the entire macross hobby book thanks to imacross...

but it is a long slow process... worth it tho' since they are all officical.

They are much too large to be PBG-11s. Unless you mean the kit bash...

They are much too large to be PBG-11s. Unless you mean the kit bash...

Regarding size: Them being too large may be an optical Illusion.

It is definitely made from the kit-bash, but I believe the text for that image lists it as those particular weapons... I could be reading it wrong...