Best Variable VF-1S?

AlphaHX

I would have to say the IHP 1/72 Hasegawa Conversion Kit. The kits are rare, but you can find one if you look long and hard enough.

It is essentially a perfect transformation valkyrie.

A little bit skinny in battroid mode, but overall much better than the 1/72 Bandai, which incorporates "anime accurate" part swapping.

If you're looking to do it right, scratch build your own or go with the IHP. If you're looking for quick, cheap and easy, go for the Bandai.

I like the Imai/Bandai variable VF-1S Battroid more than the Hasagawa. It's got a more anime look to it. It's biggest fault would be the nose cone, but then you get a dieting stubby winged VF-1S from Hasagawa's Battroid.

What it comes down to is personal preference. Unless you've got a few hundred bucks, for the IHP, and lotsa patience finding one, these are your three real choices for a 1/72 VF-1S variable.

Imai/Bandai.

Kitbash Hasagawas.

Bandais HCM (Toy).

The IHP page is kind of hard to find, so look here: http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/models/ihp/ihp_main.htm

Wow!! So who is working on the models page? I don't see the IHP link from the main model page yet so I assume someone is working on this. Just curious who. I can try to help fill in some of the gaps.

By the way anyone remember the Vf-1 battroid kits made by a group called "3 bad men". At least I think that was their name. If what you are after is "accurate" I'd recommend the Hasegawa kit for fighter mode, the "3 bad men" kit for battroid mode, and at the moment I'm not sure who I'd recommend for gerwalk mode. By the way, does anyone here have the link to the "3 bad men" web site, that is if it still exists? I know I had it while I was still at cnh@ti.com but I think I've lost all those links now and probably all the pictures I've saved from their site too. I'll try to do some digging this weekend and see what I can find.

Carl

Edited by wwwmwww

Well, the page info says August 19, 2003.

It must be linked somewhere, but I don't know where--google found it. Ah, here it is: http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/_updates_menu_005.htm

There's also a link to the magazine photos at http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/news/_news_n044.htm

So basically, nope, Shawn still has nose to grindstone, leaving it up to us gnomes to ferret out all the Macross goodies.

Wow, thanx a lot guys!

I've been a macross fan for quite some time now but i just havent gotten into models until now. it seems that im quite behind in the game. <_<

I just recently got my hands on a studio halfeye YF-19 and i wanted to add to my collection with a VF-1, a VF-11, and a VF-21/22.

I was considering kitbashing the hasegawa kit but summer is almost over and school is starting again and I dont think I'll be able to find the time to do any kitbashing.

So can anyone point me to the right direction to find either the IHP Hasegawa Conversion Kit, S.H.E. VF-11, or VF-22? ;)

The Bandai HCM cannot be considered a model in the meaning recognized my most people.

Let's not get into a debate here, but just because it says "Model" on the box, doesn't mean it's a true model. It's listed on MW under the toy section, and the valkyrie comes completely assembled and painted.

Being fair though, AlphaHX, doesn't specify in his initial post precisely what he's looking for, so I can see why the HCM was mentioned, but in all honesty, the HCM is not an actual model kit.

It was mentioned cause it's in 1/72 and variable that's all. He was after 1/72 variable. Pretty limited choices. It might be converted to model status if you invest the time in some detailing and puttying and painting.

I don't think you're gonna have too much luck getting one of the SHE or IHP kits unless you've got some serious money to burn, and know somebody willing to sell theirs.

You should buy a 1/72 Imai/Bandai, and build it up fixing what's wrong with it. It's by far the cheapest option for you. The biggest problem is the the nose, but it'll give you a real good idea on how a VF in 1/72 transforms, and what you can do to make it better, and how to kitbash a Hasagawa.

I'm one of those that feel a model should be stationary, so the whole variable thing is just 'neat', but not enough to make me want to invest in the money and effort. I'd rather have the 3 different modes as 3 separate kits.

I'm one of those that feel a model should be stationary, so the whole variable thing is just 'neat', but not enough to make me want to invest in the money and effort. I'd rather have the 3 different modes as 3 separate kits.

Totally agree with you on that one.

Gundamhead,

I already explained that I understood why you mentioned the HCM, and you've already admitted it's a toy and not a model.

I didn't bring it up because he said he's looking for:

"best variable 1/72 scale (~18-20cm) model of the VF-1S."

As my post states, I covered every available option, and the HCM is not one of them.

Once again:

1.) IHP

2.) Scratchbuild (Hasegawa, etc.)

3.) Bandai

Furthermore, the SHE kits are non-scale. Some are closer to 1/72, and others have 1/100 on the box, as verified by Carl. In addition, my search of Macross World and Hobby Link Japan turned up no VF-1S. <_<

Yeah, I suppose you could turn a 1/72 HCM toy into a model. While we're at it, let's do the same with a 1/55 Bandai and a 1/48 Yamato. If we do that, their called..."Custom Valkyries," not models. :rolleyes: They get posted in the "Toy Section," not the "Model Section," because they are still toys. Get the idea? ;)

You're relatively new here, so we'll cut you some slack and take that into account when you post.

Sincerely,

Christopher B))

Edited by ChristopherB

They're called customs cause they've been customized, but not made into model quality. I think I've only seen 2 or 3 toys that ever bothered filling the screws or seams that approach model quality. The 1/55 won't make into a decent looking model no matter what someone does to it, but if somebody did a 1/48, it could. But it'd still need a whole lotta work.

I didn't mention the HCM originally, I just included them for being 1/72. You're preaching to the choir. Sometimes scale matters more to somebody than the effort to kitbash/scratchbuild.

For the record, I've been here for several years, probably even before you, so it's OK, you don't have to take anything into account. Did I offend you some how? If so, sorry, it was not intentional.

I consider the amount of quality work somebody puts into a peice before I dismiss it as being just a toy. I also consider some poorly finished models as more toy like. It's not what it started as, but what it becomes when somebody does it all right and the quality shows through.

For the record, I've been here for several years, probably even before you, so it's OK, you don't have to take anything into account.

Did I offend you some how?

I doubt you've been around as long as I have, but regardless, it's a moot point.

No you did not offend me. I'm just posting my opinion regarding the HCM. You've already verified it's a toy not a model, so we're in agreement on that. No matter how much you try to rationalize or explain, it doesn't change the facts. ;) I responded because it suprised me that someone would even mention a toy to a new member that's looking for model kits. Oh wait, it just happens to be 1/72 scale, so that makes everything all right. :lol:

Cuum-by-ya Y'all. Come on now, I'd like to buy the world a coke and all that happy stuff. It's Macross, models, and toys...its all good.

Chris, Gundamn...shake hands and smile...its all good.

Now...from my opinion the best 1/72 scale variable model is the Toynami MPC <_<

(cept its a toy, 1/55, and crap ) :p

hey guys... its all good. toy, model... whatever. i hafta admit that i did mean models as in model kits as chris stated but the hcm recommendation was fine too. i knew that it was a toy so it wasnt like i was about to go off aimlessly looking for a hcm model kit. :p

all recommendations were highly appreciated and helpful. thanx for the hcm recommendation and thanx chris for clearing up the model misunderstanding. no harm done. thanx again people. :D

Jesse,

Thanks, I'll take you up on the offer for a Coke sometime. :D

It's cool, I'm back on my anti-smart ass medication, so I'm feeling much better and less factitious. :p

I'd shake your hand if I could Gundamhead, but they haven't invented that technology yet for internet users. ;)

Sincerely,

Christopher B))

It's cool, I'm back on my anti-smart ass medication, so I'm feeling much better and less factitious. :p

Feeling like its safe to post again. Yes, I know its not variable. ;)

Despite my love of variable kits, I'll second (or third as the case may be) the advice that if what you are after is as good looking as possible I'd say go for three kits. Here are the "3 bad men" kits I mentioned above and they are the best looking battroid kits that I'm aware of. I'm not aware of a really outstanding Gerwalk kit.

Enjoy,

Carl

P.S. Again if anyone is aware of these guy's homepage it had pictures of built up kits and they were really outstanding.

post-3-1093311244_thumb.jpg

Edited by wwwmwww

As a gerwalk fan, I like the transformable 1/72 Bandai VF-1S. Once again, it's time for me to post a picture of mine. Battloid is OK, and fighter is fairly poor (if you want these, go buy the Hasegawa kit).

post-3-1093325946_thumb.jpg