True armament ARMD & SDF-1

Boxer

Obviously from the newbie questions but it wasn't soo newbish. So I post here my question in a quote

Just about every source says that the ARMD platforms are armed with five Overtechnology guided converging beam cannons (In other words, particle beam turrets). My question is where are they exactly? They don't appear anywhere on ARMD-01, and the only cannons I can find are on ARMD-02 right in front of each engine housing (Which do not appear on ARMD-01...)

The stats COULD be referring to the TV version (In which there are five large turrets) but I thought they also traslated over to the movie version. And the macross II sourcebooks (Innacurate as they are...) indicate that at least two of the beam cannons are mounted in the nose (the 'claws' on the ARMDs).

My other question was what's the real armament of the SDF-1? I'm not concerned with the really small anti-mecha turrets and missile launchers, just the big anti-ship guns that you see dotted on the hull of the ship. Egan's stats say eight turrets but I don't belive that. There's gotta be at least thirteen(overtechnology guided converging beam canons) particle turrets in addition to the four rail guns and bow-firing main gun. And I think there's many more on the DYRL version.

If Egan can elaborate or explain why the stats differ from the appearance of the Animation that would really help. But does anyone else have any thoughts? Or maybe tell me where these five beam cannons are on the DYRL? ARMD?

The ARMD platforms DO differ between the TV series and DYRL versions.

Only the TV version has the 5 converging beam cannon turrets. According to several DYRL books, the movie version only has two beam cannons. Assumingly, they are the "claws" on the front of the ARMDs. The cannons that you see on the ARMD-02 appear on a rough draft of it and are not on the finalized version that is seen in DYRL

I'm assuming that you know the locations of the five cannons on the TV version, So I will not list them here.

The stats are right, there are 8 overtechnology guided converging beam canons on the SDF-1 in the TV version. In DYRL, there appear to be 10. A few of the smaller, 3 pronged turrets, if I remember correctly, are actually missile launchers.

That is the problem with the Macross Compendium and how the TV designs are replaced by the movie ones but the information for them isn't given. A different entry for each should be made.

The TV ARMDs do have 5 cannons. 2 on the top, one on each side, and 3 on the bottom near the engines. 1 on each side and in the middle just infront of the engines.

The ARMD-02 from the Movie also has at least 2 to four cannons depending on the picture. The cannons are on the sides near the engines similar to the TV versions. I'd have to dig out my LD player to see if they're actually in the animation. Someone with the movie on tape or DVD could find out easier.

A second ARMD-02 design has only 2 cannons one on each side.

The ARMD-01 from the movie has no cannons. Neither does the MII version.

This site has pictures of the different ARMDs. Yes I know its an RPG site but the pictures are still nice. The cannons look like old warship turrets only with rectangular barrels instead of round ones.

http://www.roycommi.com/index/macross_index.html

I had thought those were particle beam cannons (as seen in the DYRL? Mod of Homeworld...) but I was convinced otherwise when the MII books (which are obviously incorrect) had them in the same place.

In that same MOD the ARMD 02 HAD the gun emplacements on the engine mounts. it was just on ARMD 02. Knowing that not all ARMD platforms aren't alike, does this extend to armaments also? (Or is this vauge...)

And yes the whole SDF-1 armament issue was tossed around in the newbie thread. Of course Azrael, ever the champion of the compendium, practically smacked me with it when proving me wrong.

So my new question on the topic is this: Is it general opinion that the three-barrel turrets ARE the large anti-ship rockets mentioned? I had the impression that they were something like this.

Judging by the size of those warheads compared to the turret (And the bridge!) I'd think these are the 'Many' anti-ship missiles mentioned in the stats, and the three-barrel gun turrets on the shoulders and thighs are additional beam cannons missed by the Compendium.

Maybe I should just save myself the trouble and count all the DYRL? weapons instead. There aren't any 'official' stats on them, despite the DYRL? Macross IS the 'official' one.

Edited by Boxer

The ARMD-02 from the Movie also has at least 2 to four cannons depending on the picture. The cannons are on the sides near the engines similar to the TV versions. I'd have to dig out my LD player to see if they're actually in the animation. Someone with the movie on tape or DVD could find out easier.

A second ARMD-02 design has only 2 cannons one on each side.

The illustrations that show the ARMD-02 having two cannons mounted in front of the engines are only rough sketches and are labeled as so in the Macross Gold book. The cannons do not appear in the finallized version that we see in the movie.

the large partical beam cannon I think you're refering too is an MII thing. I don't remember it being in DYRL? but then I haven't watched it in a while either.

The TV ARMDs are the same so the armaments don't change. I'm not sure about the movie versions. The finished versions appear to be mirror images of each other so other than location I would think they're the same.

Thanks Beltane

I believe that the three barreled turrets are antiship missile launchers. Missile can be seen being fired frm them. I think the launchers in the picture weren't standard. I think they were added while the ship was in space.

Count the ones on the DYRL version.

I still think having the TV series the true story and the movie designs the true designs is stupid. Not everything translates from one story to the other. But that's just my opinion.

Well I suppose the stats are innacurate as far as the DYRL? versions are concerned.

Well before this thread dies I might as well ask where the missile launchers are. I assumed they're in the inside area of the bracket at the back 'wall' but I could be mistaken.

Or do all the Anti-ship missile launchers in Macross need barrels?

So even though DYRL is a movie within the world of the TV Series, the explanation for post-tv-series sporting the DYRL designs is what? The TV Macross was refitted and thus appears now like the DYRL Macross in the movie? And Exedol now has a giant pulsating green broccoli head brain like in the movie because wha? Did he watch the movie and go, "man, I look good like that. Someone macronize me and gimme a big brain like in the movie?"

-longtime macrossworlder and fan, but newbie technicality-nit-picker.

That pulsating brain is scary. If the dna of zentreadi is almost identical to humans imagine how hard it would be for exedol and gloval to convince those skeptics at the meeting who can't believe the aliens are like them.

They would scream at the sight of exedol and run out the room before letting gloval read the report. And to think exedol was shocked at the sight of the woman on the billboard ad and yet his throbbing forehead wasn't at all strange to us humans..Don't you think they would want to know what was growing in there? (like in the movie aliens where the little baby alien pops out of the stomach of the victim)

I suppose they could just say that like the elephant man, it is a mere deformity (to not panic those around him) but the throbbing brain would give it away. They should never have made his head throb for no reason.

Boxer

No antiship missile launchers do not require turrets. The TV ARMDs are mounte don the top of the ship near the fighter launch bay. A hatch opens and the missiles are ejected horazontally clear of the ship before thier engine engage.

redemption

That's the problem with the "Movie designs are official" statement.

The SDF-1 was rebuilt after the end of Macross and during that refit the ocean ships were replaced by ARMDS. That explains why the SDF-1 changes it's appearence. No problem there. However since the Movie designs are the official ones the TV models "officially" don't exsist. Only the movie ARMDS so no explaination for them is given. However that makes little sense and contradicts the "Official" TV story and stats. A better explaination would have been that they were newer models built after SW-I.

The explaination dor Exedol's head was that he was afraid of losing his memories so he became full size again traded his arms for tenticles and got a brocoli head.

That explaination makes no sense however. If the movie designs were the "offical" deigns why need an explaination for Exedols change of appearence since that's the way he'd always have looked.

The VF-1 gets a similar mixed message explaination. If the movie disigns are the offical ones then how can the movie VF-1s be the upgraded 2030 models?

1/1

The Zentraedi's DNA is identical to humans. It says so in the series but your right. Global wouldn't have beenable to try and have peace talks when people think Brocoli headed aliens are trying to kill them.

And I believe he was shocked at how little the billboard girl was wearing. Not that there was a girl on the billboard. He already knew earthling males and females cohabitated together.

• 2 weeks later...

No, as you watch SDF Macross TV you should now be imagining DYRL designs in place of the TV ones.

I'm thinking the producers of the fictional DYRL movie in 2031 used historically accurate mecha and uniforms unlike, for example, in a movie like The Bridge at Remagen, set in WWII, which had Korean war era M51 Walker-Bulldog tanks representing Shermans. DYRL has gotta be more like Saving Private Ryan at least as far as historically accurate equipment goes.

Didn't Floaty say DYRL designs are cannon now anyway? If He said it, then its fact.

the designs only are cannon? So wait, can I assume Hikaru started using a beleiveable VF-1A instead of simply jumping to his VF-1J?

I can beleive in the fact that the Meltran have their own designs, encourage it even. If we see a 'real' version of the TV series, just substitute the purple ships of Lap's fleet with the Meltran ships. I think the TV Lap is the 'real' lap, as I can't see Kamijun getting comfertable with a robotic floaty head person. I also believe the Queadlunn-Nna is a cannon design (haven't watched DYRL? but MAHQ seems to think it's in there.)

Anyway, back on topic. It seems the 'Cannon' ARMDs are armed with simple twin-forward beam cannon arrays and maybe smaller anti-aircraft turrets hidden underneath armor plates ala macross-like turrets. Are there any screenshots of these things firing at all?

For the SDF-1, do we assume it has a DYRL? Body with TV arms then? That would be an interesing picture, and one I'd actually like to see. Otherwise we're stuck with the TV-DYRL? Paradox contrasting on the Macross.

:huh:

Then again maybe Kawamori was referring to the Valkyire designs instead of the ships/characters.