Custom 1/48's

Mechamaniac

I am really on the fence about commissioning one of these.

However, not even being the chamber pot changer of a king of bling bling, I really have to think long and hard about spending a wad of cash on having one customized.

So, my questions are thus..

When completed, how close are they to the original fit and tighness of the 1/48?.

Way back when, I had a custom 1/55, and it was so loose (had to be to avoid paint scraping etc) that it really was no fun at all to even hold.

So, are these things at all playable when they are done? or are they pretty much static display pieces only?.

The 1/55's had to be very loose due to the swing bars etc...

Given that, how well does the design of the 1/48 lend itself to customization?.

I don't "play" with my stuff anyway, I'm pretty much an every so often poser, so it may be unimportant. But given the huge amount of customs that have been flowing in here lately, and the fact that it seems one or two people may be the benefactors of all those works of art, I feel the need to ask for clarification for those of us who may be considering it.

Thanks to the customizers, and bling bling kings in advance for answering.

I'm in veg mode today, so I'll try to answer. Note: this applies to myself, I don't know how others do theirs.

Of course, customs cannot be treated like toys straight out of the box, however they are obviously more durable than models.

The 1/48 lends itself far better for customizing than the 1/55s. The biggest reason being the design of the swing bar. The 1/55 swing bar "grinds" against the nosecone, so the spring had to be loosened to avoid/eliminate paint chipping from that area. With the 1/48's design, this is not a problem.

Overall you don't have to loosen any joints, it's just as poseable and tight as ever. Definitely not static display pieces, although I don't like displaying in armoured battroid mode. Armoured battroid is really back heavy, you definitely don't want a painted piece dropping to the floor :blink: Definitely get something to support it if you want to display it in that mode.

Transformation should be taken slowly, the hands should be removed, there just isn't enough space in the forearm housing. Always remove the nosecone when doing anything(poseing, transforming, missile attachment/removal etc..). Paint on sharp corners are easy to chip/wear off.

Paints, I use enamels, it's stronger than acrylics, and readily available unlike lacquers. Big downside for me is that it's highly toxic, I having a painting room where I have it set up that I paint right next to a large window with a fan blowing out. Room has 2 windows so there's excellent ventilation and of course I wear a respirator.

I'm gonna disassemble a 1s and take some pics to show areas I sand down to avoid paint rubbing off.

I agree with Jung. The 1/48 is excellent to customize. The only problem areas I have found is the heat shield and the VF-1S head lasers. If you are extremely careful you can minimize the paint scraping. However on the heat shield, I actually like a bit of paint scraping. I tend to weather mine a bit more than everyone else so this is a matter of personal taste.

I use acrylic paint. Jung is correct, enamels are more durable. But I airbrush so much that the smell and the extra clean up time is not worth it. I do prime everything with lacquer. I can tolerate the smell for this short period of time. The lacquer "bites" into the plastic and the gives a nice surface for the acrylics to hold onto.

This might be slow, I'm watching the basketball game as I do this :p

Again, there's no looseness to the joints in any of this, all the joints are either peg and hole joints or springy ratchet joints, don't touch these!

arms:

Circled areas are sanded down to avoid the rubbing of the middle arm pice..

post-4-1081558759_thumb.jpg

I am really on the fence about commissioning one of these.

However, not even being the chamber pot changer of a king of bling bling, I really have to think long and hard about spending a wad of cash on having one customized.

Waitjustafreakingminutehere....

You're not the king of bling bling?

Crap, now I have to start my search all over again. Damn.

:p

Seriously, thanks for the explanations, Jung and Kurt... this has had me wondering for a while myself. :)

The backpack: the area that the boosters lock into place will eventually have some paint chip off, should be relatively minor, big chunks of paint shouldn't be chiping off.

Also note, NEVER push down the tail fins together tighly, don't "grind" them against one another when folded, always keep this in mind when transforming and removing the boosters.

post-4-1081559168_thumb.jpg

the leg peg that locks the arms in fighter mode will have paint wear, also circled areas at the landing gear doors will chip off, it's the design of the doors, again should be very minor without big chunks of paint chipping off.

post-4-1081559931_thumb.jpg

I stopped painting the top of the chest plate and the backplate, can't sand these down since they should fit tightly together in fighter mode, and hence rub against each other.

Also note, I sand a bit off the shoulder mount (look at circled area than uncirled), this is to avoid rubbing against the thigh in gerwalk mode. The shoulder mount holds the arms up without having to rest on the thigh in gerwalk.

post-4-1081560362_thumb.jpg

I think that should cover it. Big tip, keep your grubby finger nails trimmed :D

Looks like we sand down pretty much the same stuff, Jung. The few exceptions are that I sand down the hinge sections of the landing gear doors for the legs so they don't scrape, I sand the chestplate and backplate pieces you leave unpainted just enough so they don't scrape after painting, and I also thin down the swivel sections on the legs and arms just a little. I'll post pictures of what I'm talking about later this weekend as I start work on a custom for xstoys. You can leave the DYRL-style hands on a custom 1/48 during transformation if you're careful, but removing them is never a bad idea.

Jung...arigato2.gif

As much an advertisement for your services, and it was an answer to my questions.

That being said, I have the sacrificial valk we talked about. :rolleyes:

Bro it's not a sacrafice! Trust me :D You are doing a great justice by giving up your valk to Jung! He is going to transform the plain 1/48 made by yamato and give you back an art piece! I don't think I own 1 original yamato VF. All my toys are purchased from Kevin and sent directly to Jung, Kurt, or Devin! I own a bunch of 1/55 customs too and the 1/48 are by far the best platform for customs! Trust me when I say that you will squeal like a little school girl when you get your 1/48 back from Jung! I didn't because I'm a MAN :huh: but you just might (j/p)

I take that back.. I have 1 Low Viz that sitting under my desk at work - as mint as can be! I was thinking of giving it to Kurt to upgrade.. but decided to hold on to it for safe keepings :)

Regards,

Gene

Jung...arigato2.gif

As much an advertisement for your services, and it was an answer to my questions.

That being said, I have the sacrificial valk we talked about. :rolleyes:

so thats where my(used to be mine) valk is going. :o

sweet! can't wait til its finished. :)

Jung...arigato2.gif

That being said, I have the sacrificial valk we talked about.  :rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's where it's headed.

At least if my re-finance goes through as expected. Like I said, I'm not even the pissboy of the king of bling bling. With a mortage, car payments, and two little screaming masters of destruction running around all the time eating everything in sight, and growing out of clothes before we even get home from the store with the new ones we just bought for them :blink: .

So for me, this is a BIG step, and the only way I can pull it off (under the wife radar) is during a large influx of cash.

So, if all goes as planned, you guys will be seeing something I guarantee has never before been seen here on MW.

Jung...arigato2.gif

That being said, I have the sacrificial valk we talked about.  :rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's where it's headed.

At least if my re-finance goes through as expected. Like I said, I'm not even the pissboy of the king of bling bling. With a mortage, car payments, and two little screaming masters of destruction running around all the time eating everything in sight, and growing out of clothes before we even get home from the store with the new ones we just bought for them :blink: .

So for me, this is a BIG step, and the only way I can pull it off (under the wife radar) is during a large influx of cash.

So, if all goes as planned, you guys will be seeing something I guarantee has never before been seen here on MW.

Hmmm sounds familiar. Under wifes radar is a MUST :lol: I don't think wives... well most wives..(excluding trueblueyes!) Can ever justify spending that much $$$ on a toy ;) I tell her they cost me around $50 to paint and detail up :huh: If she only new...

I have two rugrats too, and I never realized how much money kids were going to be. I mean between clothes, diapers, food, and saving for college... my gosh I'm suprised I haven't stopped collecting VF's.

Jung, Kurt, and Devin come highly recommended! You will most definitey enjoy your new 1/48 and will be envyed by all of us!

Can't wait to see your secret custom!

Gene

HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE!