Gundam Marker and the 1/60 VF-1 V.2 warning

Dobber

I was discussing this in the model thread because there was alot of talk about using this Gundam marker for paneling and I figured I'd give it a shot with my brand new VF-1D. Here is my edited post to describe what happened. There where many good posts in response that may help people and a few people suggested posting a separate thread to help. So here you go.

I bought this:

http://www.hlj.com/product/GNZGM02

I used it on my new Yamato VF-1D v.2. After I traced some of the panels I tried rubbing some ofthe overrun of with my thumb....it didn't even smear, then I tried water and cloth...again didn't even so much as smudge. Finally I got some rubbing alcohol, OOOPS I didn't use rubbing Alcohol I used Nail polish remover on TP it started to finally remove SOME of it but I couldn't get it out of the actual panels (it marker was far too dark a grey) but it did lighten them. After going over every thing, I noticed a cloudiness/ slight miscloration of the areas I had to rub plus the plastic felt rough in those areas instead of smooth like the unaffected areas. Now, I may need to repaint the damn thing. I only did the tops of the wings and the tan area of the upper fuselage behing the Orange portion. I was just under the impression, from how everyone here was talking, that Gundam markers cleaned up easy and could be easily erased. Not what happend for me.

Edit: I realised I use Nail poish remover not Rubbing Alcohol. I'm a Dumb ass. However it still doesn't change the fact that the marker wouldn't budge until I used the NPR. GRRRR!

Original thread is here with other help tips and warnings.

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...&start=1040

Chris

Here are some pictures of how the "REMOVED" gundam marker turned out. I say "REMOVED" because it is really dark when it was applied and I had to use a strong substance....ie Nail polish Remover....to get it to this level. I only used the GM on the tan portions of the body behind the Orange area and the wings. The rest of the paneling was done with a nice sharp mechanical pencil.....trying to balance things out and I didn't want to risk damaging the rest of the plane with a strong solovent to remove the GM. Notice the areas on the right wing (the one with the 102 on it) all around the 102 and near the root you can see the slight miscoloration. I would definately NOT recomend using the GM that I used on a v2 yammie. I'll try a different thinner on the effected areas but if that doesn't work I'll just seal the whole thing and live with it. Learn from my mistake everyone!!!

Chris

Edit: thought the pictures would transfer too. They can be seen in the link in the post above.

Edited by Dobber

Sorry to hear what has happened to your new joy! Hope someone hear will be able to help you out as if you use the wrong stuff to get rid of the excess panel lining, you might weaken the actual plastic.

Also, with Gundam Markers, I believe there are two types, permanent and water based. Next timer try asking the shop clerk for ther water based type.

I was just under the impression, from how everyone here was talking, that Gundam markers cleaned up easy and could be easily erased. Not what happend for me.

there are grey 2 gundam markers for panel lining.

GM02 and GM21

GM21 as well as GM20 (GM20 is the same type of pen but black) is a water based ink marker, it can be removed VERY easily. (so easily you really should clear coat anything you use it on if you plan to handle it.)

GM02 is a lacquer based paint pen. since it's lacquer based, it will dry fast and once it's dried it takes a strong Sullivan to remove. GM02 is only if you want REALLY heavy panel lines that are safe from handling.