Mass CG project ...

Aztek

Dok... Its all manual, I've tried using IK in the past but it just doesn't seem to give me the fine control I want. Plus, having no IK restraints sometimes allows me to cheat a little and achieve poses which wouldn't be physically possible in a real Valk.

Dat... Battroid only, I'm not too keen on transformable Valks because of the proportion issues between the different modes. Also, because I mainly produce still images I didn't consider it worth the effort of trying to make it fully transformable, I made my Legioss transformable but keep a seperate model for each mode, I've never used its transformation capability since I finished building it.

Hey MM-

Just out of curiosity, would you mind laying out your battroid parts in a fighter configuration and rendering it? I've been curious to see what kind of a bastardized fighter those sleek Hase battroid parts would Frankenstein into, and this seems like a less painful way to do it than sacrificing a kit.

If it's too much work, please disregard. Thanks!

Hey MM-

Just out of curiosity, would you mind laying out your battroid parts in a fighter configuration and rendering it? I've been curious to see what kind of a bastardized fighter those sleek Hase battroid parts would Frankenstein into, and this seems like a less painful way to do it than sacrificing a kit.

If it's too much work, please disregard. Thanks!

I'll give it a try sometime this weekend. I want to get round to building a fighter mode Valk at some point and I will be using as many parts from my battroid as I can as it will probably be easier to adapt existing pieces rather than build entirely new ones. I can do this as a sort of dry run to see how much work I am going to have to do later.

My obvious guess would be that the oversized limbs will give you an undercarriage that's too wide and WAAAAY too long, that the full-width arms will force the legs out past the edges of the chestplate, and that the fighter will be snubnosed and small-tailed. But I'l LOOOVE to see how the specific proportions work out. Who knows? Maybe it'll be a cool look....

Here it is Dok, as anticipated the fat battroid legs really push the width out, the arms weren't too bad, it was mainly the shoulder armour that was bulked up. The fit between the chest and back sections was poor, the back being much flatter then the chest, leading to a mismatch. Considering that the model was never intended to transform it looks a lot better in fighter mode than I had expected.

post-5-1069498517_thumb.jpg

Great work mechaninac. I haven't seen that commander type design before, is it actually from the show or is it an original design?

I've never really noticed it on the show and would love to take credit for its design; alas, it is not an original. The commander version is an Orguss canon Gerwalk. I based my model off my original standard version Ishkick and Takatoku's toy of the mecha. I don't actualy own the thing, so all my model work was based from a couple of pictures I copied off an eBay auction (see bellow for the toy box).

mbg_21f_1_commander_version_box.jpg

post-5-1069543867_thumb.jpg

Here it is Dok, as anticipated the fat battroid legs really push the width out, the arms weren't too bad, it was mainly the shoulder armour that was bulked up. The fit between the chest and back sections was poor, the back being much flatter then the chest, leading to a mismatch. Considering that the model was never intended to transform it looks a lot better in fighter mode than I had expected.

mechmaster: you can move the legs to its initial position, since these are 3d models and not toys, there's not problem if the legs and arms overlap in fighter mode... this is what I'm planning to do to improve my valk in robot mode.

Also, this is what they do in psx VFX1, so it is somewhat an "official" method

V

On the subject of proportions ...

Here's a collage of a few pics I used to get my refs ready for modeling. (I'm ASSuming) Most people are probably relating "proper" battroid proportions to the battroid in the pic, and the Hase fighter is now the "true" cannon fighter ref. The gerwalk is the bastard of the 3 xforms cuz it covers up the inconsistensies between fighter and battroid morphs and is generally not as big an issue as the other xforms. It seems as though people only care that the knee and hip joints have TONS of rotation.

I used the battroid pic in the picture to "thicken" the Hase back, chestplate, arms and legs. What I wasn't going to compromise (too much) was the Hase nose. It was too beautiful a sculpt. I did eventually, and while I didn't shorten and "stubify" it like in the ref, I did widen it a bit (to match the chest), and enlarge the canopy ... more bubble, looks cooler.

Rather than morphing objects or having seperate objects for the diff modes, I went the route of coming up with my own balance of beef and beauty.

In the end it turned out looking like a less toyish 1/48.

That's good right?

post-5-1069604459_thumb.jpg

Hails all

Nice Work I really like all your work how would you like to have them in a macross game.ME and my team are making a Macross: Do You Remember Love? Mod and would like to show off some of your work the engine can do divx movies and 3d art.

Blackwolf

Macross:Do You Remember Love? TC

... ask and you shall recieve ... at least for today ;)

... forgive the unfinished textures. The mesh is 95 percent done and the textures around 75.

This is from one of my favorite box-art poses.

post-5-1069651860_thumb.jpg

Edited by Aztek

Wow Az... Looking good.

Mech: I have to ping up and say 'Semper Fi' to your valk's textures...

"Dear Santa,

All I want for Christmas is a nice Macross CG poster. Well, then there are those LCD screens, and the new Dual G5, and the hand held fluke oscilloscope, and ..." :D

Well, here's my own little contribution to the project, such as it is. I decided to buck tradition and use the DYRL blueprints instead of the Hase, but I figure that's not too much of a problem...I've personally got no problem scaling parts during transformation to make 'em look right in all modes. :D

Nose01.jpg

Other Render 1

Other Render 2

Other Render 3

The back looks kinda funny, I'll admit; guess that's what MeshSmooth does to a large flat plane at the end of a cylinder, oh well. I'm gonna Boolean some detail back there for the nose-pod gimmick, so it ought to take care of that right quick.

Nice Zeta

I haven't seen the DYRL blue prints before or have I <_<

Can you post them for me please ?

Thanks

Oh, I got them here. Just go to one of the dozen or so Color Scheme threads, they have Valks in all modes, all angles, DYRL and TV. More Valks than you can shake a GU-11 at. :lol:

MIne is also based on the DYRL template. At the time when I made it, I didn't have the hasegawa model sheets so I used those instead. I have to say, they do have their own charm... but I am contemplating doing another sculpt in the hasegawa style since the top view looks to be a bit wide in batt mode.

:Dat

post-5-1083179151_thumb.gif

Edited by DatterBoy

Wide and thick is the key for battroids, sleek and thin is the key for fighter. That is the intrinsic delimma of trying to model a non-morphing valk ...

... and the reason for many sleepless nights ...

With that said then, what mode does the YAMATO non morphing toy look best in? And which looks better for a non transformaing model? the Hasegawa cone, or the DYRL model sheet curved cone?

I suspect it's as Aztek said... a compromise of whatever looks best to you.

:Dat