I have the Turbo Custom Actic Gear (sensing a theme in my choices here? :lol:) The Scopedog figure itself is really rock solid, but the add ons, due to their nature of design, are quite finicky and delicate. All those gab handles and chain links are seperate pieces, which is great for the detail freaks, but at this scale leaves you with some very delicate bits. Couple that with some poor mounting bits (especially on the TC armor waist weapons) and the HORRIBLEY flimsy attathcing seperate elbow pads, and you have a solid feeling figure with accessories that make you afraid to fidgit with it. The one thing I will say is that the Scopedog itself is really well articulated, very well balanced, and has great tight joints, and some pretty solid detail. Unfortunetaly once you start adding all the more kibbly bits, it seems like a wayste of a good underlying toy.

I'm sure you could, but you may not be able to fit it in the plastic tray afterwards.

There's a "version 2" AG Scopedog coming with metal feet and other improvements, so you may want to wait. It's pricey, though.

The Diving Beetle and Fatties are excellent, IMHO.

I'm sure you could, but you may not be able to fit it in the plastic tray afterwards.

There's a "version 2" AG Scopedog coming with metal feet and other improvements, so you may want to wait. It's pricey, though.

The Diving Beetle and Fatties are excellent, IMHO.

That's good news. I've been wanting a AG Scopedog but they're sold out everywhere. Do you know if this thing is going to be in the $50 range?

Anybody know of reproduction stickers or decals for the 1/12 Yamato scopedog? I'd love to see decal versions of the included stickers.

Also, custom metal eyepiece lenses would look worlds better than the stock standard.

I noticed that the lenses on the 1/18 DMZs are higher quality than Yamatos...

Anybody know of reproduction stickers or decals for the 1/12 Yamato scopedog? I'd love to see decal versions of the included stickers.

Also, custom metal eyepiece lenses would look worlds better than the stock standard.

I noticed that the lenses on the 1/18 DMZs are higher quality than Yamatos...

Im looking for those too. The stickers that came with the yamatos are too thick. I'd settle for those "rub on" transfers or even the wet transfer decals. I think the scopes on the scopedogs are a bit small on the yamato versions or maybe its because its not painted?

On a side note... I just got the Standing turtle MKII and the turbo Custom scopedog by Max Factory. The paint job and the articulations (theyre tighter) are a major improvement over the first wave. The PVC used is very sturdy and does not bend at all like those miniture gundams "in action series". Still not happy with the price and lack of a pilot though. :(

Adler's Nest makes working alumimum main-scope zoom setups specifically for the Scopedog in 1/35, 1/24, and has a 1/18 model on the way. Hopefully they will do a 1/12 piece as well. They make some extremely nice military model turned brass accessories, so there is no doubt these are nice as well. HLJ has them, but I'm not sure if they come with the lens as well, or if you'd have to buy a Wave lens piece.

As for Yamato Scopedog decals, you are in luck... ages ago I had Devin make me a direct copy of the two sticker sheets that come with the first release Scopedog into decal sheets... they look amazing but I haven't used them yet. I still have the master files, and I assume you could talk to Devin/Robographics and buy them. I have yet to get decals made for the Round Mover tho... I've got other decals I need first. I'm starting to think alot about the Scopedog tho, but I want to wain until I get an airbrush before I detail it up...

Adler's Nest scopes and Robographics decals...

Thank you for the info, I'll see about getting those decals from Robographics and keep an eye on Alder's Nest scope releases.

The stock Yamato scopes just look terrible, in my opinion. Somebody should release an option kit...

I've never heard of Toyslogic.. are they an alright pace to buy from?

The Chirico was my only purchase through them, but everything went smoothly and they responded very quickly to a question I emailed them. It took exactly one week from purchase to delivery. I'd definitely buy from them again.

I just bought a 1/18 DMZ Takara Scopedog and so far am finding it superior to the 1/12 Yamato is several ways:

1. The Takara has button-activated, spring-loaded fists, which I find much easier and more fun to mess with than the 1/12's strange clip-loaded version.

2. Poseability and stability are much better in the Takara, although the head armor has a tendency to fall off. (I understand that recent Yamato Scopedogs have addressed stability issues).

3. Scope detail looks better on the Takara, but the plastic is cheaper.

4. Tampo printing on the Takara, along with some surprisingly well done weathering effects - just sticker insignia with the Yamato. The Takara comes with rub-on transfer insignia.

5. The Takara seems to be just right in terms of size, where the Yamato is monstrously large and takes up a ton of room.

6. The Takara comes with a figure! (gasp) A fiddly, kind of terrible figure, but that's one more figure than Yamato!

Overall, I think my growing collection of scopedog paraphenalia is going to be composed of mostly 1/18 Takaras, with the single Yamato upgraded with Red Shoulder option parts.

Edited by Majestic

I finally had some time today to open the Yamato Chirico figure and fiddle with it, and I'm very impressed. I've bought so many humanoid action figures over the years that rarely does one pull of something new, but Yamato really did some excellent designing with this figure in terms of articulation. There are some standard joints, like the hinged elbows and knees, but the other joints are all cut in such ingenious ways that you can put Chirico in dozens of cool poses without any ball joints.

My single gripe is that his head, while somewhat of a ball joint, tends to look down a little further than I like. The helmeted head doesn't seem as bad, but the human head has a good tilt. It doesn't however detract from my enjoyment of the figure.

And of course it only took Chirico about 30 minutes after being freed from his box before he started asking where his damn 'Dog was. So I high-tailed it to Yamato's site and ordered one for him. I'm surprised the still have the regular Scopedog in stock. $109 doesn't seem like much of a sale, but oh well. I can't wait to compare it to the DMZ.

My Yamato Brutishdog came in today. Its my second yamato Votoms and Im surpised with its overall improvements over the first release. The joints are tighter and they even added some racheted joints (especially in the ankle area). I was even more surprised with its die-cast claws, they look and feel dangerous, so there's no way Im letting the two year old play with it. The gattling gun has a cool feature.. when you push and pull the clip (removable), the barrels spin. The back pack features extra clips that dispense like a pez!! Lastly it has an extra pair of "rollers" on its heels (makes it faster?) this is definitely a badboy (girl?). Highly reccomended.

Gripes? No pilot figure ofcourse, hopefully that Fyana figure will come out soon. Also its toy-like colors. So disturbed was I with this that immediately whipped out my paints and started paneling and lightly weathering it.

Edited by holytoledo69

eriku, I would have gone straight for a later release 'Dog... the joints have significantly imporved since the first release, but glad to hear the Chirco figure is nice.

The Brutishdog sounds sweet too...

The improvements sound good, but I want to stick to just the plain Scopedog for my Votoms collection so it doesn't get out of hand. As far as I know the first release is the only version of the 'Dog they've released, not counting the red shoulder which I don't really care for the look of.

You could have gone with the all-green Scopedog2 Round Mover special one like what he pilots in the first ep. But yeah, I love my Scopedog too.

I do like that one, but the $200+ price tag sort of soured me on it.

Picked up an Actic Gear Red Shoulder Scopedog Turbo Custom yesterday (AG-VTM05). This is the one that comes with a hexangonal desert color base and 4 extra stranding figures.

The Scopedog has a light paint wash on most of the green parts and some mild weathering, so it doesn't look so plasticy.

It comes with the chains, bedroll and extra ammo mags hanging off the back of the mission pack, but lacks the large missile pod for the shoulder and the gun for left forearm. From what I understand this is an OVA version.

Engineering, articulation and detail are good for the size, but definitely not up to the latest HCM-Pro standard IMO.

The amount of bits that needed to be cut off from the spru far surpasses any HCM-Pro.

My biggest complaint was the insecure attachment of the two waist weapons (the gattling gun and twin-missile pod). I'd been warned about this, so was expecting it anyway. It seems it would be simple for Takara to make the attachment slots in the waist deeper so the weapons attached more securely. At present the slots are stupidly shallow and the weapons fall off if you even look at them wrong. Anyway, I ended up super-gluing these on. I tried normal model glue first, but it wasn't secure enough.

Some of the small parts on the figure, such as the knee caps and elbow pads also have a tendency to fall off easily, so they got the super-glue treatment as well.

All in all, not a bad little figure, but a bit too fiddly unless you glue everything on.

I'm hoping Takara make a 1/18 scale Scopedog Turbo custom with full weapons or Yamato in 1/12 as it's my favorite Scopedog variant.

I was thinking of getting the Max Factory 1/35 scale PVC Scopedog Turbo Custom, but I dislike PVC toys immensly, plus it's head sculpt is far too big IMO.

Graham

I was thinking of getting the Max Factory 1/35 scale PVC Scopedog Turbo Custom, but I dislike PVC toys immensly, plus it's head sculpt is far too big IMO.

Graham

Graham, the PVC in the Max Factory Votoms isnt as flimsy as people may think. In fact it feels very solid (like polystyrene almost?) It isnt soft, doesnt bend or feel rubbery like the gundam Msia's.

My biggest complaint was the insecure attachment of the two waist weapons (the gattling gun and twin-missile pod). I'd been warned about this, so was expecting it anyway. It seems it would be simple for Takara to make the attachment slots in the waist deeper so the weapons attached more securely. At present the slots are stupidly shallow and the weapons fall off if you even look at them wrong. Anyway, I ended up super-gluing these on. I tried normal model glue first, but it wasn't secure enough.

I told you so :p I saw those newer releases with the display base and weathering... pretty good idea, really.

I agree with you on the MF figures... I like they're looks alot and articulation, but the head is way too big and wide...

Wow, your Brutishdog's custom weathered finish makes it fit in perfectly with the 1/18s....Beautiful!

Thanks!! :D I knew I could of done alot better. Especially when I started painting it as soon as it came out of the box and that was like saturday afternoon. It took me the whole sunday just to finish it. But yeah, I think it was a bit rushed. I might work on it some more if I have time. Its just too bad they're not in-scale to each other. I figure takara will make a Brutishdog one day. Till then I'm happy with this pink (Magenta?) monster.

Anyways, I didnt take any before and after pics but here's a couple of an "out of the box" Brutishdog's courtesy of mcfitch from CollectionDX.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Edited by holytoledo69

That musty be a pic of the Yamato Red Shoulder Custom from the series... that's the release I've been waiting for, and I'm sooooo pumped.

The articulated fingers on the DMZ do look really god, but gah, the Microman Fyana is so awful... I really cannot stand Microman figures.