Macross Lineart and Profile Color Scheme Art, Round II

Talos

I thought I had one in my archives, but I didn't see one when I looked around. The only ones I had were scans from Hasegawa model kits and the VF-1 Master File book, neither of which are suitable for profiling without a lot of clean-up. Mr March should have one for sure, though. I'd ask him.

The VF-1 schematics have been posted many a time, but over the many, many years we've been here. So it would require a search and who's to say the links would still hold those files? So here they are. The 5-view picture is the official schematics taken from This Is Animation Special Macross Plus and the other picture features several Photoshop edits I created of those original schematics to set them level and build the sweep winged view. Hope this helps.

post-114-128215841797_thumb.gif

post-114-128215843077_thumb.gif

Edited by Mr March

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I used to follow your previous thread for a while. Obviously non of you is a prof artist, but I must say with practicing you did develop some good skills, at least for VFs.

Why do you stick to 2D all the time?

I have a bunch of 3D models here: http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=33809

Here is my offer: I give you ready to texture models, it means they are unwrapped with a texture layout done.

You can just paint directly and see the result. In turn, I would like you to make one standard texture for the models, namely most popular and well-known color shcemes like VF-1S for VF-1 that I have. You can then go on and do whatever you want with the models. Also it needs to be mentioned they are animated and transformable. I can help you to start with blender for instance, so you can make render with your custom textures form there.

What would ya say?

Edited by SeminNV

I've always considered myself more of a draftsman type, so I usually stick with 2d for the most part. I've fiddled some with 3d models, but my skills in that area aren't that good yet.

Anyway, I threw together a boilerplate VF-5000 outline to use as a placeholder in my VF size chart I've been updating with my newer VF drawings and was struck by the inaccuracy of the thing....so I started correcting it. So far I'm just working on getting shapes how I want them. I recontoured the lower nose, deepened and straightened out the intake/upper legs, deepened the engines/lower legs, moved the ventral fin forward and rotated it some (though I haven't cleaned up the area it used to cover, fyi), and added the complete head turret that was completely missing.

vf5000comp.th.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, let's see if this generates any more comments then the beginning of the VF-5000 accurizing. For a long time, I've had a half-done (literally. Half the fuselage and wings were missing, not to mention the tail) VF-2SS sitting in my size chart. I got tired of looking at it, so I did up a quick, all-new VF-2SS boilerplate to drop into the chart for now. The plane is low on my priority list to complete.

Enjoy the little 13.505m plane.

vf2ss.th.jpg

OMFG I LOVE IT! I CAME! NERDGASM! BEST THING EVAR!!! ;)

Hehehe, your newest picture is very good, Talos. I just wanted to post something other than the usual stale compliment and couldn't think of anything better at the moment :)

Haha, thanks March. It'll look good on the M3 VF-2SS article when I get it done. What are your thoughts on the VF-5000?

Also, get on MSN more!

• 3 weeks later...

Minor update for today. Someone was asking for some small mods to my VF-1D Macross the First ver. that I did for Mr. March's site. Since I had the markings already done for my VF-4, it was a simple matter of dropping them in and also updating the paintscheme a bit (pretty much coloring the back of the knees). Anyway, it's not much, but enjoy!

post-5201-128735433504_thumb.png

Perhaps it would be in order to offer some kind of tutorial on how to do these color schemes. I goofed around with GiMP to create my own color scheme. While the overall look got the point across, it looked like crap in detail. I am guessing you guys somehow overlay the outline on top of the colors, or something? When I used the paint bucket to fill in the areas, the outline was still carrying the shades of grey from when it was black and white only. I want to get it to blend the greys with the color next to it.

I would be happy to help with that in any way I can. For me, there's two types of profiles that I do. I either have the shaded and detailed ones with more realistic colors, or the unshaded ones like on March's M3.

But yes, you put the outline on top, then make an empty layer underneath and a white layer beneath that. Set the outline to "Multiply" (Google if you need specific instructions on that step), then just color in the transparent layer. The multiply removes all white from the outline. Don't use paint bucket, do the outline first, then fill. Or you can use pathes to outline it like I do in GIMP. It's a PITA, but it gets results. I do simple fills with the pencil and then the paint bucket with my unshaded ones like above.

Decided to fiddle with my VF-19 a few days ago. I haven't finished the line art or started any detailing, I just wanted to experiment with some of the shading and highlighting. I'll probably end up redoing most of this anyway.

vf19abase.th.jpg

That is looking really, really good! Excellent work!

That is looking really, really good! Excellent work!

Thanks. It's been updated since then, though I haven't worked on it in awhile now. Got busy around the time I started adding the canards, so they aren't shaded at all yet!

vf19abase.th.jpg

EDIT: I started fiddling with the VF-5000B forward fuselage as well. The lines and shapes are really rough, I just want to get a general feel for the proportions before I polish them. And yes, I will be doing the VF-5000G sensors too. ;) I think I've been more productive today then I have been in months!

vf5000b.th.jpg

Edited by Talos

• 2 weeks later...

I was fiddling with some stuff earlier and looking through Chronicle #22, which had the gunpod page with sideviews of them. I decided, since I've been working on the speaker gunpod for Basara anyway, I should redraw the VF-11's and use that with my profile. I haven't done much with the VF-11 yet, not even messed with the tail. I did, however, reshape the nose to get rid of that ugly angular look it had in the TIAS Macross Plus book, and went with something closer to the Hasegawa YF-19. The gunpod isn't finished yet, but must of that's hidden under the plane anyway! When I finish it, I'll post the gunpod on its own too.

Right now I have it scaled to about 5.8m for the gunpod.

vf11nosejob.th.jpg