What is the rating?...

Sorry if this is a stupid question or one that has been answered elsewhere.

But I am confused about what the rating is for on the member profiles. What are we rating each other on?

Also I was confused because I had a 5 star rating for a long time and then one day when I was in my profile I noticed that I all of the sudden was a 3 star. I have to admit that my ego wilted a bit there but then I realized that I did not even know what it meant.

Is it something like if someone thinks I am a rude obnoxious member they give me a 1 star and if they think I am a useful contributor they give me 5? Is it kind of like rating a netflix movie?

I guess this is not a big deal really but I am curious.

Funny. So earlier today after this thread had gotten started I noticed that my rating went up to 4 stars. Then I gave >EXO< and prometheum a 5 star. Now I am back to 3. Now I am just looking at this as a game. But still I dont know what it is supposed to mean and how people look at it. I know that we have the SSL but do you think that if someone who wants to do a transaction with us will be swayed by a low star rating? hmmmm......

The stars can be giveth; and they can be taketh away.

I doubt that anybody gives any credence to the stars when looking at sales items. Hell, I didn't even know about them until you posted this thread. For all anyone knows, the stars could be related to relevance to topics posted, as this is how they work on other message boards. If you're a reputable member and/or on the SSL, that seems to generally be enough.