MOSPEADA >>> Megazone 23

RavenHawk

I know about how MOSPEADA went through several incarnations, starting as AD Police (not the Bubblegum Crisis AD Police), then eventually becoming what we know of as MOSPEADA.

I also know that Megazone 23 was originally intended to not be on a spaceship, but rather underground, as the one last city surviving after a nuclear war, but was then changed to have space action sequences.

What I can't really picture is how Megazone 23 was originally intended to be a sequel to MOSPEADA (which has been cited in a number of places).

Anyone have any more info or a better understanding of this?

First the gnomes steal the underwear... then step 2.... then PROFIT!

I have no honest idea but maybe it wasn't so much a sequel as a "what happened to those colony groups who fled Earth?" I'm sure it was a very different concept at its inception just as Mospeada was very different on the drawing board from what actually got produced.

I know that there's a sketch of the Garland standing next to the MOSPEADA ride armor in the Artmic Design Works book, but from what I've been told that was just there to show potential toy/model sponsors how big the robots were intended to be. RavenHawk, where was the original information?

It was more like the connection between Macross and Orguss. Somewhat similiar in look and theme, filling the same time slot. It wasn't intended to be a literal continuation of the story. The B-Club Special Artmic Design Works and the Entertainment Bibles have some good images of the early Vanity City design work and such, if you are interested in that.

If you listen to the commentary track on the first Megazone 23 dvd by ADV, they talk about the potential Megazone 23 was going to have as a TV series and would be a prequel to that of Mospeada or something.

Yes, it's on that commentary track, and I think I read it in an old Aramaki interview as well.

The commentary track on the ADV Megazone discs are full of errors. The ADV people may be old school fans, but they are also full of inaccuracies.

Is the Aramaki interview you guys are referring to the one with Kakinuma as well from the ADV Mospeada DVD set that I transcribed on my old Masterforce.org website?

Here's that interview: http://web.archive.org/web/20050316002800/...icinterview.txt

Edited by Ginrai

The commentary track on the ADV Megazone discs are full of errors. The ADV people may be old school fans, but they are also full of inaccuracies.

Is the Aramaki interview you guys are referring to the one with Kakinuma as well from the ADV Mospeada DVD set that I transcribed on my old Masterforce.org website?

Here's that interview: http://web.archive.org/web/20050316002800/...icinterview.txt

No, it's not, though that is an interesting read. It's an old interview I read about 3 or 4 years ago online. I've been looking for it ever since, but haven't been able to find it. He went more in-depth on MOSPEADA than I've seen in other interviews, except for the one with the MOSPEADA DVDs, and had sketches from the AD Patrol design stage.

I had to email Aramaki-san about something so I figured I'd ask him about the connections between the series. Here are his unadulterated answers:

> Was MOSPEADA supposed to be a police robot show? Some Americans think that the original MOSPEADA ideas turned into Bubblegum Crisis and AD Police.

When I came up with the design of Mospeada, I thought it for police story, like "highway patrol" in near future. But it wasn't based on Bubblegum Crisis. These are came up with quite different idea. Do you know famous japanese Tv live action drama series "Hissatsu Shigotonin"? It was story about illegal executioners for good but unhappy citizens. President of Artmic liked this tv series very much. So he thought this story Turn into near future and girls story. It would be Bubblegum Crisis.

> Was Megazone 23 supposed to be a sequel series to MOSPEADA?

I think it was not true.

And there you have it. Merry Christmas!

I had to email Aramaki-san about something so I figured I'd ask him about the connections between the series. Here are his unadulterated answers:

And there you have it. Merry Christmas!

Wow... Thanks!

If you ever have a chance talking to him or to Hideki Kakinuma, could you ask if either would still be interested in doing an updated MOSPEADA, perhaps along the lines of the artwork that I believe Kakinuma did a couple years ago, and darker and more serious like they oringinally intended?

Seems like, with all the new material out now, it would be a prime time for an OVA at least.

It was more like the connection between Macross and Orguss. Somewhat similiar in look and theme, filling the same time slot. It wasn't intended to be a literal continuation of the story. The B-Club Special Artmic Design Works and the Entertainment Bibles have some good images of the early Vanity City design work and such, if you are interested in that.

Or Combattler V and Voltes V, or Super Sentai or Ultraman or Kamen Rider "sequals"... IE a conceptual sequal.

Wow... Thanks!

If you ever have a chance talking to him or to Hideki Kakinuma, could you ask if either would still be interested in doing an updated MOSPEADA, perhaps along the lines of the artwork that I believe Kakinuma did a couple years ago, and darker and more serious like they oringinally intended?

Seems like, with all the new material out now, it would be a prime time for an OVA at least.

I have talked about Mospeada and RTSC with Kakinuma in 2007 and at that time he was very interested in doing a new Mospeada animation. Kakinuma feels pretty certain that the current anime industry is not interested in funding a show that is not new or pretty much non-existent to anime viewers in this day and age. He said if it came down to it he would write Mospeada novels but as of now nothing has been written.

He also said if asked he would be more than happy to work on future Robotech productions.

Tastunoko has no plans to do anything with Mospeada other than licensing for merchandise. So unless there is a rich Japanese producer that also happens to be a huge Mospeada fan out there I don't think there is much of a chance one will ever get made.

I have talked about Mospeada and RTSC with Kakinuma in 2007 and at that time he was very interested in doing a new Mospeada animation. Kakinuma feels pretty certain that the current anime industry is not interested in funding a show that is not new or pretty much non-existent to anime viewers in this day and age. He said if it came down to it he would write Mospeada novels but as of now nothing has been written.

He also said if asked he would be more than happy to work on future Robotech productions.

Tastunoko has no plans to do anything with Mospeada other than licensing for merchandise. So unless there is a rich Japanese producer that also happens to be a huge Mospeada fan out there I don't think there is much of a chance one will ever get made.

You dpn't think that something like Bubblegum Crisis: Tokyo 2040 (sorry if I'm incorrectly remembering the more recent reworking of Bubblegum Crisis) would work for MOSPEADA?