1/55 Valk Custom - Thigh Swivel Mod Update

Skull-1

Let's be sure we are not competing with each other on the boots, okay? : )

362749[/snapback]

my name on ebay is KINGNOR (just like everywhere else in the interweb)

feel free to not bid against me :-) what is your ebay name?

i love build-ups so thanks for showing how you did the mod. i really like how you used all 1/55 parts to achieve the "A" stance, bootlegs count too!

and i'm also glad there is still a handful of 1/55 enthusiasts out there still working those loveable chunky monkeys.

364452[/snapback]

Thanks, KK.

It took me forever to get around to finishing the other leg but I decided to take photos this time for sure. :)

Glad to see you back.

I am having trouble getting the flash to show the actual color so I will have to take some pictures in daylight.

Also, this camera seems to bring out flaws that are invisible to the naked eye. Not sure I like the effect of this flash on it. It is GORGEOUS in person. Even my wife likes it.

The original:

post-318-1139632492_thumb.jpg

I am having trouble getting the flash to show the actual color so I will have to take some pictures in daylight.

Also, this camera seems to bring out flaws that are invisible to the naked eye.  Not sure I like the effect of this flash on it.  It is GORGEOUS in person.  Even my wife likes it.

The original:

369187[/snapback]

Looking good so far..

I always wanted a dark blue Valk eversince I saw them on the start credits of Rowboatheck.

Then came Macross 7 and there were some more dark blue valks ( the diamond force)

My blue Valk fixation has been quiet for a while but it may be starting up again.

Ball joints alternative to Lego bionicals

I have been buying stuff from Hobby link Japan for ages now and they sell customizing kits for Gundam and also scratch building supplies. they sell balljoint kits in various sizes and styles. they are cheap and just right for leg mods etc.

technical specs (japanese )

Check em ou there then go to

Hobby link Japan

Just spent a few buck/pounds on a few different ball joints and hinges etc.

These all appear to be plastic.

My question is...do they have the friction to hold the leg of a Valkyrie in the up position in Fighter mode?

369594[/snapback]

That I cant answer for sure but when I was in Japan last year I looked at them then.

Should have bought some then. :angry:

They look strong and are a hard fit. I will let you know in a few days when I recive them in the post.

If they are good Im going to get a whole bunch of them when Im in Japan in April

Edited by big F

I'd like to know which ones will fit inside the thigh and which ones will fit inside the intake.

If they have a high friction level I would be very interested in them.

Now for what it is worth.....

I did my thigh mod at an angle to the BLACK RUBBER COVERING on the thigh and it looks even better than the previous attempt.

When the thigh is straight you can't tell it has been cut. With the blue Valk the 90 degree cut was too obvious (which is why I used it on the dark blue Valk as the paint hides it).

(NOTE: THE CUT ON THE LEG HAS TO BE FROM FRONT TO REAR, BOTTOM TO TOP. THE ANGLE SHOULD BE LOWER IN FRONT THAN ON TOP. REVERSE THE CUT LINE AS SHOWN IN THE PICTURE BELOW. ALSO POSITION THE BIC PEN PARTS PARALLEL THE CUT).

post-318-1139784024_thumb.jpg

post-318-1139784035_thumb.jpg

post-318-1139784049_thumb.jpg

Edited by Skull-1

great job guys...nice to see someone is still interested with this valks....kepp it up....

Thanks. :)

Here are some shots after the first paint application. Some sanding and painting to go but that seam is VERY clean.

(NOTE: THE CUT ON THE LEG HAS TO BE FROM FRONT TO REAR, BOTTOM TO TOP. THE ANGLE SHOULD BE LOWER IN FRONT THAN ON TOP. REVERSE THE CUT LINE AS SHOWN IN THE PICTURE BELOW. ALSO POSITION THE BIC PEN PARTS PARALLEL THE CUT).

post-318-1139798356_thumb.jpg

Edited by Skull-1

Dang it..... Hard to upload pics here...

post-318-1139798555_thumb.jpg

Edited by Skull-1

• 3 weeks later...

O.K an update for all of you wanting to know about the bal joints I was mentioning at HLJ. Well I slerged the few poundss to get me some sets.

Heres my mini review.

They are packaged nicely and on sprews. yoiu get four ball joints per pack. They are dark grey in colour, a similar shade to the hands on the cheap carded bootlegs you can get. removing them from the sprews is easy and there is hardly any cleanup needed

(some of mine didnt really need any). once together they are incrediblystiff and at the same time would allow posibility and movement.

Unfortunatly the cups are just slightly too big to put in the thighs to make posabilty easy in that area. but they would be awesome for the hips to give a more posable hip. alternatively you could use them to make a Anime true hip joint.

There is a slighly smaller size of these ball joints available, maybe if i had bought some of them as well I would be posting pictures of my fully poseable thighs.

Anyways here are some pics for you to druel over.

As they come from H.L.J

balls.JPG

And here for a size comparison.

balls2.JPG

Next stop a 1/55 that looks like this

thm_mranime1.jpg

a better look can be had at Macross World (Mr Anime)

Edited by big F

O.K an update for all of you wanting to know about the bal joints I was mentioning at HLJ. Well I slerged the few poundss to get me some sets.

Heres my mini review.

Thanks for that review, i have a big shipment of various asorted ball joints from HLJ on the way. I think i got some of the ones pictured here..

It might be over kill, but i bet puting either a ball joint or double hinge joint in a 1/55's knee would add to poseability ALOT.

Two of the smaller joints in the foot could be cool too, if it could be made to look right. Lord knows i'm going to be tempted to cut apart my reish 1/55 brownie when they show up.

Edited by KingNor

It might be over kill, but i bet puting either a ball joint or double hinge joint in a 1/55's  knee would add to poseability ALOT.

Two of the smaller joints in the foot could be cool too, if it could be made to look right.  Lord knows i'm going to be tempted to cut apart my reish 1/55 brownie when they show up.

378629[/snapback]

Well I agree with you Im looking at playing with do ing just that sort of thing at the other end maybe redesigning part of the legs to better allow posability. of cause if I go that far it will no longer be transformable. But as I dont play with them thats no a problem for me.

Instead of cutting up your nice shiney Brownie may be you should look for some Jetfires or some of those $5 carded bootlegs on eBay. In the U.S they are very cheap and so common you can aford to get a few with out killing your wallet. Ideal for trying out things.

If you go for the incomplete or damaged ones you should get them cheaper. In the U.K they are still expensive for some reason. I alway get them from the U.S even with postage its still better.

If your woried about the nose on the Jetfire they are easy to mod into Macross noses. Just add autombile body filler and sand, then add paint. Et voila Macross authentic nose job.

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=17887

One simple joint and look at the effect of it.

WOW.

The leg to your left is the one that the right one now looks like. I ditched the Bandai-style black all around for the Yamato backside black only.

Edited by Skull-1

big F, big F, i'm a little shocked you'd put a jetfire in the same standing as a $5 bootleg.

I'm even a little offended you'd cut up a jetfire over a re-issue valk. Jetfire might not be popular but he's WAY more rare.

pls don't hurt your jetfires, people!

I work *exclusively* with Jetfires.

First reason being they are all but unrestorable when they are yellow like a banana....

Second reason they are cheap...

Third, I like the shorter noses. When tapered they look so much better than the mosquito nose of the Valkyrie...

And last but not least, every one of them I take off the market makes the one I have MIB that much more valuable!

:)

First reason being they are all but unrestorable when they are yellow like a banana....

Second reason they are cheap...

379229[/snapback]

I will only break up a Jetfire if it is so totally unrestorable that it wont matter. I would like to work more with boots because they are cheap but over here in England they can command prices aproaching that of a reasonable nearly complete Jetfire.

That said I have made several Jetfires from bits bought on eBay. One mans scrap is another mans treasure.

My current leg mod is using a $5 bootleg. But dont dispare bootleg lovers he is currently sporting a pair of "spare" Jetfire jegs and a "spare" Jetfire cockpit. Hes loving them and a couple of the other bootlegs are jelous of him.

No actual Transformers or VF1`s were harmed or died in my experiments

Edited by big F

LOL!

I actually have one Valkyrie that is 3/4 Jetfire 1/4 bootleg. The entire tail fin backpack assembly and rear upper fuselage (along with all the parts that hold it together) came from a bootleg. YOu cannot tell it by looking at the thing but it was a MAJOR basketcase when I got it.

I won't harm a bone white Jetfire, but if he is yellow he goes to the grinder and emerges as art. :)

I won't harm a bone white Jetfire, but if he is yellow he goes to the grinder and emerges as art.  :)

379607[/snapback]

That about sums it up.

I will post some pictures of my extensive leg mod when I have the chance.

So stay tuned 1/55 fans. :)

• 2 weeks later...