Using Primer as paint

Deadzone

I was wondering what would be the problems of using a primer as the paint if the primer is already the color you want. For example, I just primed a VF-1A with white. I started painting over some parts with a Tamiya white, but the parts look virtually identical. The only difference is the gloss which I can put on later using Future. Is there a need to repaint a model white if the primer is already white. I wanted to know if anybody has tried just using the primer as the base coat and the paint. Thanks.

no problems using primer as paint, as long as you know the differences between primer and paint. One of the reasons I recomend primer is that you don't have to paint everything. What I mean by this, using my violator valk as an example, is... if you diss-assemble a toy, or leave a model on spruce, when you prime it... many of the impossible to paint areas are already an acceptible color. For me I had to use black primer on the violator valk so that the bright whiteness of the jetfire was no longer visible. I tried to do it with painting and patience, but there was no way I could satisfactorally paint recessed ares like the insides of the legs [visible only when landing gear is down] using only a brush. Spray primer of an appropriate color makes hard to see areas look much better in my opinion.

The only thing I can think to tell you is... primer and paint are different in how they react to additional paint applied to them. You may not ever notice the difference, but if you are inking/washing a model/toy, the ink will flow over painted areas slightly better as the primered areas tend to absorb a little more [it is why primer works as primer.]

Here is a pic of a 7" tomahawk I did a little while ago. It's since been finished and pics are probably somewhere around here but when this pic was taken it was as follows...

I primed the destroid in "citadel" black spray primer. I drybrushed the entire figure with a metallic gunmetal color for highlightling. I then washed the lower portion of the tomahawk with a brown ink. It took two washes rathher than my usual one wash to get the ink in the deposit level I wanted as primer sucks up the pigment faster than painted areas. This fact is easily visible by the fact that drybrushed highlights are still apparent [although less so than before] after being inked.

Oh yeah... make sure you chose the appropriate primer color. I know david has found a primer that matches naval ships well, I find black works well for mecha you want to paint quickly as it gives it a depth that makes the fig look "bigger/more detailed" and white works well for anything you want to be brightly colored and vibrant. You can do a proper coat of black primer followed by a dusting of white primer to achieve really vibrant highlights with recessed areas still being dark and mysterious.

I think priming is overrated, as far as models are concerned. I only use it:

1) under a gloss finish, like on a car body, so I can sand it to get a smooth finish.

2) when painting over certain color plastics, like white paint on red plastic

3) the odd time I build a resin kit, I usually throw down a coat of grey enamel or even automotive primer. Some resins hate model paints.

4) when making neato weather effects with an airbrush, although that's more of a "preshading" thing than primer.

Edited by bsu legato

Thanks for the help,

I decided to use the primer as the paint because the Tamiya white really sucks. I mean, I spray the thing through my airbrush and it comes out either too thin or dries before hitting the surface. This surprised me since Tamiya usually makes really good paint. I have only had this problem with the white.

Primer does absorb liquids a lot faster. The clear coat I put on looks really uneven right now because some parts got completely absorbed while other parts has a shine. I think a second or third coat should solve this problem.

Right, the only difference between primer and paint is the surface they create. Primer is meant to stick to a surface and then create a surface that paint can stick to. So primer has a certain amount of tooth that paint shouldn't. If you use just a primer, you may have to sand with some fine paper to get a good finished look, then seal. The paint just sticks to the tooth of the primer and fills the tiny holes and you get a smooth surface afterward(hopefully). So really, if the primer is the color you want, just finish the surface with a little sanding and then seal and your as good as painted. In any case, I would highly recommend using primer and not just painting a surface with paint. These plastic parts are way too smooth for paint to adhere to without coming off with the slightest abrasion. You really do need the glue in between(Primer). ;)