Galak-Z The Dimensional video game (Macross/Gundam-like)

Mr March

Has anyone else taken a look at this new video game called Galak-Z The Dimensional? It's like a shooter but far more, with elements of Far Cry 3, Halo and a fair dose of emergent gameplay. GIant Bomb released a very good Quick Look both last year and this year.

It's got a lot of great Macross-isms in the game. The visual style is also a clear callback to 1970's and 1980s sci-fi anime. They even use old visual cues from the VCR era of technology to sell the nostalgia appeal. Apparently on the PS4, but also a Steam port is coming soon according to this video.

Worth taking a look for all us old-school anime fans :)

I'm really surprised I found no mention of this game on MW before I posted the thread. This is like tailor-made for nostalgia fans of 1980's mecha anime and classic video games. Plus the game looks like it's doing enough new, different and innovative to justify it's existence amoung all the other retro-style games. I hope it's good because so far it looks and sounds great.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I managed to find a couple of hours to play yesterday. It's got a lot of potential! The combat is intense and satisfying when you finally bring down that pesky alien bogey. The physics-based space flight is tough to get used to, but can lead to some interesting combat styles.

One thing that's really getting me excited is the attention to detail on the seemingly minor and inconsequential things. Namely, the extra effort that the developers put into making the game seem like it's some kind of 80's anime imported from Japan and localized for US audiences. This very Saturday-morning-cartoon feel is easy to sense, as I'm reminded of shows like Robotech and Voltron when I play. The missions are called "episodes", which are contained within "seasons", reinforcing that design philosophy. When a mission starts, it has some randomly-generated episode title and it gives writing credits to a randomly-generated name. The pause screen is where this concept really jumps out at me, though. It shows a shaky, distorted still of the game, with snowy effects at the top, as if you've paused a VCR with tracking issues. The pause menu is constructed from large, plain, blocky text you'd see on old-school televisions and VCRs. There's even a blinking "12:00" at the top right corner!

Even if the aforementioned minutia is not of interest to you, the combat is totally worth trying out. I am just concerned that there will not be much replayability, once I've finished the game. Some criticisms I've heard is that the game is too punishing of getting killed. However, you simply have to restart the mission on the standard difficulty. It's only on the higher difficulty that you have to restart from the beginning of the season, as it serves as a checkpoint of sorts.

Great to hear your impressions, frothymug. I picked up on a lot of that stuff watching the game play trailers and the interview they did on GIant Bomb (I think that's where it was). I personally love the little visual animations and flourishes they have created that really show the level of care and love they have for this style of art and animation.

I'm surprised there isn't more interest in this game on this forum, considering the prime demographic that lurks here.

I've been too busy to play this past week, but I am curious to know if anyone else has had a chance to give it a try. I'd love to know what you think!

On sale for 20% off. Not a huge sale, but just enough to convince me to buy it.

Yeah, I too am very shocked this game isn't a HUGE buzz around here. It's Macross, it's 80's video gaming, it's got the style and animation this crowd raves about, and the gameplay looks tight.

Hell, i don't know why Transformers Devastation isn't just making everyone around here go nuts. THat's a game tailored for the DNA of most MW members.

Hell, i don't know why Transformers Devastation isn't just making everyone around here go nuts. THat's a game tailored for the DNA of most MW members.

I broke down and bought this. It's not my usual cup of tea; never played the Batman games or Devil May Cry(from a gameplay standpoint) but I had a blast throughout most of it.

Biggest weaknesses for me were the plot being a sideways

Dark of the Moon

story and a difficulty level that didn't scale well. Played through on Warrior(medium) and died more times than I care to recall.

They also missed a huge opportunity with playable characters. While every Decepticon under the sun was there, 5 Autobots made me sad. The crafting and weapon system seemed kind of weak and on more than one occasion bugged out on me and I had to restart the game.

I got Shockwave as a "C" Class weapon(what?), upgraded him once and all his stats zeroed which I figured was just a visual bug. It translated into gameplay until I restarted the game.

Didn't like ammo either. With as often as it dropped, it never felt like I was needing it except once or twice. They should've just made guns limitless or recharge. They were very unused for me and melee for the whole game felt...off.

Otherwise, the game was absolutely gorgeous, the voices were perfect, the cheese was where it needed to be and the controls were tight.

Back on topic: bought Galak-Z this morning, I'll get to play it this weekend. I'll chime in next week.