Why did the VF-1S go from ¥10,290 in 2012 to ¥16,800 in 2013?

YF-29 Durandal

This is about a 63% price hike in a single year. A single year. 63% price hike.

Look at the maths done. It's only a 19% increase when you look at what the yen was worth then and now. You can't look at currency as same numbers or value now and then. They're worth differently based on how the economy works.

This is about a 63% price hike in a single year. A single year. 63% price hike.

Look at the maths done. It's only a 19% increase when you look at what the yen was worth then and now. You can't look at currency as same numbers or value now and then. They're worth differently based on how the economy works.

Ayup.

Also.

The Arcadia VF-1S also comes with an included stand, whereas the Yamato VF-1S never did.

Must factor that in along with the regular inflation stuff.

Heh. What?

OT: It's clearly a typo. Effect and affect are often confused or reversed, especially if English isn't one's first language (which applies to a number of members on this very forum). I'm unsure whether the evolution of language applies here, but I agree that it is funny if you pay attention to those details.

It may be a typo - a typo is when one knows the correct spelling/word/whatever, but hits the wrong key. But merging effect and affect into just effect is very common - and it seems to be even more common when the writer is American. (I haven't done a study, however, this is just my impression. But I've seen semi-professionally edited books contain it, and it's rare enough that someone uses affect correctly that I tend to notice it and celebrate inside.)

My guess is it's related to the way most American accents compress "e" and "a" sounds towards each other, so the two words sound very similar when spoken in that accent. Much like how the origin of the Canadian "aboot" is based on the way that "about" and "roof" sound very similar in American accents, but fairly different in most Canadian ones, because we don't tend to converge the vowel sounds so much.

Yes, I am full of useless information. :)

While they can be very interesting for those who care, I find that these grammatical discussions are completely OT in these forums. I also think that they can probably be a bit intimidating for some of those who don't have English as their mother language.

Anyway, back on topic:

The prices of the toys began to rise under the reign of Yamato. Just after they went bankrupt, our insider Graham wrote:

Yamato were actually a pretty small company. You'd be surprised at how small. I don't think I ever saw more than 20 employees during my visits to their Japan offices. May have been a few more or a few less. Of course if you count the Hong Kong and US operations the number increases, but not by much. When there was a Hong Kong office, it was never more than 4 or 5 people.
No, Yamato did not own a stake in any of the mainland Chinese factories they used over the years.
Yamato were constantly looking for better and more capable factories to produce their VF toys. I think they used 4 to 6 different factories over the 13 year run of making the VF toys.
Unfortunately, changes to Chinese labour laws a few years ago, really had a knock on effect and increased production costs by around 20%. Also, the last two factories that Yamato used for the VF-1 v2, VF-11 and VF-19, VF-17, VF-4 where really much better quality-wise, but they did charge a premium.

Graham.

While they can be very interesting for those who care, I find that these grammatical discussions are completely OT in these forums. I also think that they can probably be a bit intimidating for some of those who don't have English as their mother language.

Anyway, back on topic:

The prices of the toys began to rise under the reign of Yamato. Just after they went bankrupt, our insider Graham wrote:

Ah! There you go.