Shin's 1st macross water color!

Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

Hey guys gotta get the scanner hooked up but I am going to post my first macross watercolor painting! I made this today, raining outside and extremely bored. So within a few hours you all should be able to see it!

It is hikaru flying in ta valkyrie...cockpit view.

Ok some PROGRESS FINALLY!! LOL here ya go everyone!!

Not done but Yea if you notice I accidentally painted onesection red instead of white.....the whole collar down the middle torso is supposed to be red but I made the mistake too late!!

Anyways enjoy!

post-5-1090999292_thumb.jpg

Edited by Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

It doesn't smear, or it doesn't smear much. And if it does, that's part of the charm of watercolor.

Experiment: draw something on a piece of paper with a #2 pencil. Pour water on the paper.

The real hard part with watercolor is waiting for one part to dry before adding a neighboring part. You can use a hair dryer to speed the process, if you're working indoors. Otherwise, hopefully it's a sunny day. If you do this, you get nice effects as the colors "layer" over each other at the edges without "mixing" or bleeding. Of course, at other times you want to take advantage of the mixing/bleeding to achieve color/value graduation.

Edited by ewilen

well with the pencil, to keep from smearing I used a mechanical pencil and emphasized my lines, I also used my kneaded eraser a LOT!(GOD that thing works wonders the likes of which are very hard to believe~!)

Basically while experimenting with acrylic wash, and watercolor,and watered down acrylics, when painting over graphite, if your pencil marks are basically solidifie and such, heck even gradiation, the watercolor or watered down paint over it will SEAL the graphite in to the point where when rubbed, it does NOT smear. On line work this is good but on graditaion, it darkens your shadows....and makes them solid areas. So thats not always cool.

EXO, the shadow on the top is actually from my scanner, it always does it to the side edges for some odd reason.

To be honest with you guys I have not used watercolor a lot., In fact I HATED IT. However when I started college, I took some painting classes last year and experimentd a LOT with watered down acryllics. What I learned form ther ehelped me understand watercolor more, and this is my first watercolor in perhaps 5 months!

Polidread, hey pare, with the bright reds, well with any color adctually, the best thing to do is NEVER paint straight from the tube, always mix your colors!! For that red I mixed in a red with a little dark green. First I painted with a mix of red and white, and then Red/green. Green is the comppliment and darkens the red a little to blood red. NEVER paint with paint straight form the tube! always mix the paint with another color!! If you paint steraight out the tube it looks crappy, and in the case of my red, if i did not mix it would look extremely watery and cheap and pink. BUT since I mixed, I got a bright beautiful red!!

Been painting on and off...took class last year, high school was a wreck with anything paint. So I basically learned to paint a lot better in college, smae with pastel and such. Been drawing all my life too. Also helps that I am now a Illustration major!!