The Robotech Re-Masters

I just visited the Robotech.com site after a looong while and found those. Seems like they finally found the way to remaster the whole thing, but I heard some sour critics here and there. Should I buy this new version or is still crap?

Mods: If this topic was discussed already (like I suspect it was) please feel free to delete it. :unsure:

As long as you have breath in your lungs and money in your wallet, you should keep buying and rebuying the Robotech saga. Again and again and again and again and again.....

I can't wait for 2005, when ADV and HG announce the Ultimate Extreme Edition Robotech Saga: Superbit Edition.

Oh, and buy more superposeables. Now in cherry flavor!

Hey, I'm as a Macross fan as the guy next post here, but it happens that I found out about Macross thru' Robotech (as most people this side of the world), so I want to keep a decent Robotech DVD edition for nostalgia sake. What's wrong with that?

Nothing's wrong with it. I just honestly don't know what to tell you. If you wanted to preserve a copy of Robotech as it was originally broadcast in '85, then the remasters aren't the thing to buy. However, as it contains "never before seen footage" and ostensibly a better picture, then maybe the remasters are more your thing. It all depends on where you stand on the whole "Special Edition" thing.

Hey, same boat here in regards to getting the intro through Robotech...heck, I just found out last year that SDF: Macross, SDF:SC, and GC:Mospeada weren't even related!!! :blink: I'm not ashamed of it and still looked for the RT DVDs as well as the SDF / DYRL stuff,

BUT ....

you gotta remember where your are. Some of these old-timers here get mighty cranky at the sound of the "R"-word. :p

EDIT: Oh and as far as what to get......depends on your tastes and wallet. Got the Legacy sets through another member here and they're fine for me. :D

Edited by GRAND CANNON

Thanks, G.

I know most people here are leaned towards Macross, hell, I am too! That's why I'm posting here, and not "there". And that's the precise reason why I'm asking this to you, guys. I know what the Robotech dorks would say, and I want the objective opinion of my fellow MWers.

What I want is a nice copy with good sound and good image, so when I'm 80 I can sit on my armchair and watch those old chapters of my geekhood. But I heard somewhere that the remaster is not that good and that even they change some stuff from the original! :blink:

Edited by Lonely Soldier Boy

What I want is a nice copy with good sound and good image, so when I'm 80 I can sit on my armchair and watch those old chapters of my geekhood. But I heard somewhere that the remaster is not that good and that even they change some stuff from the original! 

Remastered poop is no biggee for me (at least for this series). I watched the show on a bad UHF channel on TV and then crappy VHS tapes after that. The DVDs I have are fine......no hoopla or edited stuff. IMHO, of course. ;)

Here is my 2 cents.

If you have already got a copy of the robotech series on DVD, then HELL NO you should not re-buy them, buy the original Macross series, the original Southern Cross and the Original Mospeada series, that have all been released. The Robotech remasters are just a slightly less editted version of the original. If you want Robotech for nostaligia, like I did, get the original series as it was aired and then go out and get the source material series in their unadulterated form.

Aside from the fact that the Re-masters are still just editted series I understand from the RT.com boards that they are sub-par so far with bad sound quality, worse than the original DVD release, and while they include some extra snippets they are not worth an entire re-purchase of the series.

My answer is just say no to the remasters. If you like Robotech get it in it's original form, if you want to see the extras and the shows as they were meant to be seen, cut out the middle man totally and go straight for the japanese series.

Now that you've explained your background and feelings toward RT, then I can give you a better answer.

If you'd hated RT, I wasn't about to lie and say that the ReMasters fixes any continuity problems or makes hearing "To Be In Love..." any more bearable.

Personally, I'm like Grand Cannon. I saw it on crappy UHF and VHS and I think the original DVDs look great and nostalgic. I don't want remastered footage of a show I only want for nostalgia.

I'm not sure what bonus footage the ReMasters has, but you can't really beat the 3 disc sets that HG put out with all the bonus stuff. Fun commercials, The Sentinels, weird stuff... plus, you can get them for dirt ass cheap right now, thanks to all the ReMastered nonsense.

I'd totally reccomend them for nostalgic reasons.

Well if you were an RT fan and bought the regular version because they announced that there was never going to be a remastered version. I'd say that the better investment would be a Netflix membership and a DVD burner... ;)

Thanks, Blaine. That was a very clear and comprehensive point of view.

The remastered edition lacks special features whatsoever, and you're right about the sense of nostalgia of the first release. Unfortunately the remaster edition has this small feature that will make me buy it again someday: the original spanish track. It might sound weird to your anglo-saxxon ears, but for me is like music since I first watch the show in Argentina with that dubbing a looooong time ago.

BUT. Since I buyed the first version not so long ago, I'll take your advice and go for the original japanese shows before rebuying RT. That said, thank you all for your comments, links, patience and understanding. :p

The remastered edition lacks special features whatsoever, and you're right about the sense of nostalgia of the first release. Unfortunately the remaster edition has this small feature that will make me buy it again someday: the original spanish track. It might sound weird to your anglo-saxxon ears, but for me is like music since I first watch the show in Argentina with that dubbing a looooong time ago.

Bad news then, ADV couldn't get the rights to the original Spanish dub, so were forced to make a brand new Spanish track, so you won't be getting the original Spanish track you pine for.

Cyc

Edited by Cyclone

Bad news then, ADV couldn't get the rights to the original Spanish dub, so were forced to make a brand new Spanish track, so you won't be getting the original Spanish track you pine for.

Cyc

yeah, i hate the spanish voices they used for the Remastered.

When I first saw Robotech I think it was a dubb from Venezuela that did like all the dubbing for the anime of the 70's and 80's so everyone in all the shows sounded the same, lol, but it was cool.

This time they used a mexican dubb and it sucks.

Edited by Ladic