In need of some Gundam modeling tips

Hi everyone,

At pacfic media expo i somehow got lucky at the tofu records realise thingy, and won a Perfect grade RX-78-2 Gundam kit, And since i have never really built a perfect grade kit before i was wondering if anyone could offer me some build tips? like simple inexpensive ways of painting the kit and doing a really good job, without having to say go out and buy a expensive airbrush. I know macrossworld is the home of many talented modelers,so any advice would help. I really hope to do a good job on this kit. so any tips, pictures/examples of things to do to make the kit turn out really well would be much appreicated.:) oh and if this forum isnt the right forum for such a thread, mods do your mod thing,and move it to the approprate forum please.:)

Ya lucky sonamagun!! First of all, ya might wanna pick up the january issue of HOBBY JAPAN mag. (2004). They've got a whole section there depicting the PG RX-78, like almost a dozen pages of great pix where I think you would be able to get a couple of ideas on how to start tackling the kit. Oh, and ya might wanna pick up a few GUNDAM markers coz these ya will definitely need. Good luck and congrats on the latest acquisition. :)

Thanks for your advice, if i get the chance ill seek out that issue of hobby japan. as for gundam markers do they work better than say using a sharpie for pannel lineing?

also, im wondering,if i should do a combination of spray paiting using tamiya spray paints + hand painting using model paints?

Anyone around here whos built a PG gundam, feel free to pipe in on advice.:)

Personally, I think Gundam markers are awful. The nibs are too thick and they never deliver a constant stream of ink. I went and bought the finest tip marker I could find at a stationery shop, and I also use a mechanical pencil if I want a more subtle gray panel line rather than a black one.

On the painting topic, go get acrylic spraycans if you're only planning on doing one or two model kits. If you think you might do more modelling in the future you should invest in an airbrush and air compressor.

Lastly, I haven't built a PG gundam, but i've done the Zaku and PG Eva 01. You shouldn't have any probs building it as Bandai kits are always easy to assemble and the parts are usually tough to snap accidentally.

The thing about sharpie markers, is that they tend to fade over time, and if you intend to put like a clear coat over the parts, the sharpie will turn back to a liquid and smear around the panel line. Also, the sharpie tends to turn a purple-ish color if you handle the model enough.

For my PG Zeta Gundam, I used Tamiya Spray Paint cans to paint the parts runners. As an inexperienced painter, this was the easiest solutution I could think of. Then be careful with good sprue cutters to remove the parts, and if the sprue point leaves an unpleasant mark on the finished limb, you can use some touch up paint to cover the spot if you desire. I didn't have to on mine thankfully. For the obvious black lines on the mobile suit I used a Gundam Marker. Use the smallest tip one of course. Wipe off any excess with a very-slightly-damp-at-the-tip paper towel. Do try to be careful to get the line right the first time though if possible.

As a rule for me, if I paint in metallic anyway, I don't use many panel lines, only the areas that really need it on the white parts, like I did there. The gundam marker doesn't show up real well against the metallic paint anyway, so I consider it kind of a waste to panel line dark blue or red.

Viola, your PG will look like this:

zeta1.jpg

I like how the Tamiya cans spray much better than the Testors cans did. The colors look very good as well, just make sure you paint all the parts evenly and get all sides. May take a few coats to do it. I don't know if this was the more expensive way to do it or not, but for now it worked, and I too don't have an airbrush. I spent a fair amount on the cans though, at 5 bucks a pop almost.

I used 1 Metallic Red, 1 Metallic Blue, 2 Black, 2 Pearl White, and part of 1 Yellow can to make the model. The internal components I didn't bother to paint. They look good as they are, and I won't display it with panels open anyway.

Before I touched my PG Zeta I used the same process to make my failed HG Freedom (damn all blue wings, and I didn't thin the black before I hand painted that), and then sucessfully sprayed my HG Providence, HGUC Char's Zaku, and SDF-1's.

If your not used to painting or lining, I suggest picking up an expendable HGUC kit or two and trying that first.

post-26-1087183635_thumb.jpg

Edited by Anubis

Thanks for the advice everyone. anubis, i like your advice on the tamiya paints,so i think i will try to paint the kit that way, luckly i do have a GP-01 1/144 scale kit around here,i wouldnt mind sacrificing as a ginuea pig for this project.:D

its looking like it'll be after ax before i can put some time into the kit, by then i should have a digicam,so i think ill post pictures when i start working on it.:D