what kind of paint is used for toys

geecie30

Does anyone know what kind of paint is used for toys,for average plastic toys,..... km toys?yamato valks?matchbox hovertanks? voltron? gi-joe? I just wanted to ask you that,Thanks

post-4-1086424379.jpg

yes,I do want to paint somethings periodically, and I notice the toy companies have found the secret formulas but I'm pretty sure that its a trade secret unless you've unraveled the mystery,because I've never seen a painted figure with better paint than the originals,for example the yellow strip on the chest plate of the vf-1s 1/48 or a 1/55 bandai or lets say the dana sterling matchbox figure with armor the paint is awsome and non scratching for the most part.When the truth comes out about this closely guarded factory secret,and the shrouded hidden mystery gets out, then I'm sure our customs and repaints will be top notch and we perhaps can fetch better returns on our toy sales and make better models and customs.The facts are out there ,it would be nice if I knew too,and hopefully it gets answered.I have noticed that customs that I've seen usually have the tale tale evidence of a repaint when displayed in pictures submitted here on MW.Not even trick of light seems to hide these paint jobs.This is not a complaint but an observation.I hope that we can get a hold of that superior wonder paint and learn what magic paints work well on each of their corrosponding plastic types because I'm guessing that the some paints are applied to the wrong plastics and mediums.this is why we have to settle.

Edited by geecie30

Factories use enamels. I've used acrylics so far and it is factory durable so long as you use add a clear protective coat. You can use matte, semi-gloss, gloss or mix layers to get near factory finish.

When I get my spray booth setup, I'll try enamels and see how that comes out.

After working on and customizing several 1/55 valkyries over the past three years, I have found that there are some Jetfire's out there that seem to have an almost indestructable paint. Usually, if you stick the Jetfire parts in paint thinner or Pine Sol over night, the paint will fall right off when you apply a little pressure with a Q-Tip or a stream of hot water. However, because many of my Jetfire's have been parted together, I find that a piece here and a piece there seem to have a red base coat that isn't affected after weeks in paint thinner or Pine Sol. With these parts, I have had to sand the paint off! Unfortunately, the white plastic is discolored or else I would put all of these parts together to make an indestructably painted Jetfire. :D Now this is the paint that I would like to know about. Too bad you can never know if you possess a Jetfire with this paint unless you are willing to test it in paint thinner. If you're wrong, you've just destroyed a Jetfire. :( If it were only as easy as saying, "it's only found on the Matsushiro ones," or " it's only used on the painted Macross symbol ones." This paint must be reverse engineered at Area 51! :p

Factories use enamels. I've used acrylics so far and it is factory durable so long as you use add a clear protective coat. You can use matte, semi-gloss, gloss or mix layers to get near factory finish.

When I get my spray booth setup, I'll try enamels and see how that comes out.

Hey Neova,

Thatnks for the advice on the semi-gloss clear coat. My kaz looks a lot bett as not so shiny. I was gonna opt to flat but I didnt.

I forgot one other addition : Car Paint.

Probably the BEST quality paint you can buy off the shelves. But, all cars are primered to have the paint adhere to the metal, whereas diecast toys never seem to have that basecoat (or so I've seen). But even then, a lot of cars are clearcoated nowadays, unlike those fade-out Hondas and Toyotas of the 80's.

A lot of the recent toys are definately enamels though. You can tell by the way the paint just flakes, especially on those chipped up $OC lineups.

Godzilla, post some updated pics of your Kakikazi!!! :D

Edited by Neova

I use acrylic in my Air brush and when I do a wash or panel lines on my Valks. Then dull coat it. Dull coat looks the best on the Q-Rua.