The picture on the main page...

wwwmwww

Great drawings of the mecha... I'm not to impressed with the random marker lines that make up the shadows and the background though... seems a bit like an after thought.... Still better than I could do though...lol. :D

The sig is Kawamori's and the date is 5/12/2004. I'm guessing it's a sketch done on the spot for a fan at a convention. That's just a guess, though.

I like it, BTW. It's good to see the main pic changing from time to time.

Edited by ewilen

If I'm not wrong, Kawamori is first of all an engineer rather than an artist by training, who happens to do his own designing, putting his ideas down on paper. Most designers would have left the grunt work of embelishing the designs with colors and touch-ups to other people long before they even finish tightening up the preliminary designs, but not this man. He needs to be respected for the extra effort even though the "shadow swashes" and the marker coloring are not so fluid or pro enough by watercolor or marker experts. :D Kawamori's markers have been known to be amateurish by many artists' standards but I love it because it shows that he makes it a point to finish his work. B))

The man is quite good at what he does, I wish I had that much artistic talent, heck everytime I draw my craft they end up looking fairly amateurish, or undetailed, unless I am working on designs of them. I like that Kawamori and I have similar backgrounds, going into writing/entertaining from an engineering school perspective.

Ok... so I now know what it is. I'm still curious how it ended up on the main page here. Shawn usually pulls stuff from posts here or he has in the past and I just didn't see a post about this pic. If no one here knows I'll have to ask Shawn the next time I talk to him but I'm not even sure he's the only one that could have changed it.

Thanks guys...

Carl

for a guy whos a engineer and designer first, kawamori's got some damn good drawing skill. It is amazing how he can draw a lot of his planes in perfect proportions.*check design works*

If you cant draw theres no way in hell you can draw planes that good, so while he is a designer engineer first, i can say for certain he has a decent amount of skill in drawing and is damn well good at it. I wil never say he is the worlds greatest anime illustrator but for what he does hes got damn good skill.