My first 1/72 Valk kit.....

Macross_Fanboy

I bought my first 1/72 Valk kit with some spare money from prom, and it's nice. It's a VF-1S from DYRL? with Roy's, Max's, and Hikaru's decal options. The only bad thing about it is that it doesn't come with Strike packs and no munitions, save for the gunpod. Does anybody know if I can kit bash with it? the underside of the wings don't have any hardpoints from the looks of it. :unsure:

Hasegawa?

If so... I suppose you've been under a rock for the last few years... The Super/Strike packs are available as separate kits. There are no pilots in your Valkyrie kit, if you'll notice, because they come packed with the weapon set, which includes enough munitions and pilots to outfit a regular Valk as well as a Super/Strike. If you'll look closely at the lower wing halves, there are holes that you drill out to install the pylons from the weapon set.

They're nice kits. We're all anxiously waiting for the VF-0D kit ourselves, actually.

Wm_cheng has done plenty of beautiful build-ups, and if you check out the "How to build models" forum, they're listed there.

Although I can't read the earlier ones, since I wasn't a member of the board back then.

Hasegawa?

If so... I suppose you've been under a rock for the last few years... The Super/Strike packs are available as separate kits. There are no pilots in your Valkyrie kit, if you'll notice, because they come packed with the weapon set, which includes enough munitions and pilots to outfit a regular Valk as well as a Super/Strike. If you'll look closely at the lower wing halves, there are holes that you drill out to install the pylons from the weapon set.

They're nice kits. We're all anxiously waiting for the VF-0D kit ourselves, actually.

Wm_cheng has done plenty of beautiful build-ups, and if you check out the "How to build models" forum, they're listed there.

Although I can't read the earlier ones, since I wasn't a member of the board back then.

Yeah, it's a Hase kit, I forgot to say that. Well I know that you can get a weapons kit, but I thought that some of these kits came with the Super and Strike Packs, and missiles like the VF-0 comes with its FAST Packs. If I'm under a rock, it's because I've never built a 1/72 Valk, just those tiny 1/144s from Macross 7. And on the kit's instructions, it doesn't quite say that you can bore out the holes to place pylons on them. :blink:

Hasegawa?

Yeah, it's a Hase kit, I forgot to say that. Well I know that you can get a weapons kit, but I thought that some of these kits came with the Super and Strike Packs, and missiles like the VF-0 comes with its FAST Packs. If I'm under a rock, it's because I've never built a 1/72 Valk, just those tiny 1/144s from Macross 7. And on the kit's instructions, it doesn't quite say that you can bore out the holes to place pylons on them. :blink:

FYI, you need to buy the weapons pack for pilots and munitions. You cannot however buy the fast packs separetly, if you want those you have to buy them as part of the super or strike VF-1's.

The VF-0S' FAST packs only came with the kit because there's really no other profitable way to sell them. The unfortunate thing is that we still have no VF-0 missiles.

The kits' instructions don't tell you to drill holes in the wings because if you've done so, there's nothing you have that can plug those holes up. The weapon set's instructions tell you to do that.

The DYRL pilot is much better detailed and proportioned than the VF-0S pilot, by the way. I have no real incentive to install Roy in my VF-0S.

PS: I forgot the customary ":-P" emoticon after the "living under the rock" crack.

PPS: If you buy the Super/Strike Valks, you can still build the regular Valks with the FAST packs parts left over, since the Super/Strike kits just add in a few more trees for the necessary parts, but there's little reason to do so because, well, it's just really stupid to...

:still waiting for Super AMRAAM's to install on my VF-0S:

Yeah, it's a Hase kit, I forgot to say that.  Well I know that you can get a weapons kit, but I thought that some of these kits came with the Super and Strike Packs, and missiles like the VF-0 comes with its FAST Packs.  If I'm under a rock, it's because I've never built a 1/72 Valk, just those tiny 1/144s from Macross 7.  And on the kit's instructions, it doesn't quite say that you can bore out the holes to place pylons on them. :blink:

The VF-0S' FAST packs only came with the kit because there's really no other profitable way to sell them. The unfortunate thing is that we still have no VF-0 missiles.

The kits' instructions don't tell you to drill holes in the wings because if you've done so, there's nothing you have that can plug those holes up. The weapon set's instructions tell you to do that.

The DYRL pilot is much better detailed and proportioned than the VF-0S pilot, by the way. I have no real incentive to install Roy in my VF-0S.

PS: I forgot the customary ":-P" emoticon after the "living under the rock" crack.

PPS: If you buy the Super/Strike Valks, you can still build the regular Valks with the FAST packs parts left over, since the Super/Strike kits just add in a few more trees for the necessary parts, but there's little reason to do so because, well, it's just really stupid to...

:still waiting for Super AMRAAM's to install on my VF-0S:

Hey, are the Strike and Super packs from the Battroid kits compatable with the VF-1 fighters?? :unsure:

Couldn't you use regular AMRAAM's? I mean, Even after 40 years the Sparrow looks exactly the same, and it took just as long for the Sidewinder to become anything more than "slightly reshaped canards". I bet even 20 years from now, AMRAAM's will look nigh-identical to the "new" AIM-120C. New missiles are rare, and take forever to develop. There's still lots of planes out there using AIM-9L's and AIM-7M's, which was the standard 1980's loadout...

Hey, are the Strike and Super packs from the Battroid kits compatable with the VF-1 fighters?? :unsure:

Definitely not. Battroid kits have their legs enlarged , simply because the legs of the Valkyries in Fighter mode are just too small for the Battroid to look right.

So the Super/Strike packs won't work.

Trust me, after you built the regular VF-1S, you'll want a Strike VF-1S. Don't let anyone else tell you differently, by the way, because the VF-1S Strike Valkyrie kit comes with parts for both the Super and Strike valks.

And regardless of your skill level, if you have some glue, nippers, and sandpaper, you can build that Valkyrie. Granted, it won't look like a pro built it, but it will be built. It's not that hard.

Couldn't you use regular AMRAAM's? I mean, Even after 40 years the Sparrow looks exactly the same, and it took just as long for the Sidewinder to become anything more than "slightly reshaped canards". I bet even 20 years from now, AMRAAM's will look nigh-identical to the "new" AIM-120C. New missiles are rare, and take forever to develop. There's still lots of planes out there using AIM-9L's and AIM-7M's, which was the standard 1980's loadout...

Yeah, if the VF-0S was carrying AMRAAM's. I meant Super AMRAAM's, what I call the missiles we see those planes carry in Macross Zero (read: name == inofficial). They sure aren't modern AMRAAM's.

Are there Super AMRAAM's today already?

Edited by Stamen0083

I haven't seen much of Mac 0, don't know what the VF-0 weapons are. Question--if they don't look like AMRAAM's, why do you call them Super AMRAAM's? Is that simply the closest looking real-life missile?

The newest AMRAAM is the AIM-120C, the "clipped wing" version for the F-22, but to make life easier (imagine that from the military) all planes can (and do) use that version. It's about all you see nowadays---A's were pretty much only prototypes, B's were the first common in-service ones, and they switched to making C's as soon as they could, and that's rapidly being sent out.

I haven't seen much of Mac 0, don't know what the VF-0 weapons are. Question--if they don't look like AMRAAM's, why do you call them Super AMRAAM's? Is that simply the closest looking real-life missile?

Actually, they look like AMRAAM's without being AMRAAM's. It's been awhile since I last saw it, will confirm tonight, but I remember getting this feeling that they are just more advanced version of the AMRAAM's, i.e. it feels like they would perform like the AMRAAM's would, only better.

I'm pretty Macross ignorant, so I'm guessing the Compendium probably has a listing for it which I simply haven't seen, so until someone correct me (please?), I'll refer to them as Super AMRAAM's :-D

Heh heh--compendium says:

"Maximum of twelve standard Raytheon Bifors AIM-200A AMRAAM 2"

So it's AMRAAM 2, not Super AMRAAM. :) Good call! Though "SAMRAAM" sounds kind of neat. Sigh, pretty soon they'll be making the USHARAHAAM or something...

Edited by David Hingtgen

Heh heh--compendium says:

"Maximum of twelve standard Raytheon Bifors AIM-200A AMRAAM 2"

So it's AMRAAM 2, not Super AMRAAM. :) Good call! Though "SAMRAAM" sounds kind of neat. Sigh, pretty soon they'll be making the USHARAHAAM or something...

Ah hah!

Well, AMRAAM 2 they shall be, then :-P Still, this leaves some room for Super AMRAAM's in things I may choose to make up in the future ;-)

Does anybody know where I can get a Stike/Super Pack and weapons kit? The kits at the VE are sold out and out of production. I tried Twin Moons but they don't have it listed and then Hobbyfan. :(

Did our posts not make sense? You can't get the Strike/Super parts separately. You'll have to buy the Super/Strike Valkyrie kit(s) for those parts.

As far as the weapon set is concerned, you may be SOL at the moment. It'll be reissued soon enough, so you can just wait until then.

Check out HobbySearch:

http://www.1999.co.jp/asp/shop_right_e.asp...thumb=1&Spage=1

Does anybody know where I can get a Stike/Super Pack and weapons kit?  The kits at the VE are sold out and out of production.  I tried Twin Moons but they don't have it listed and then Hobbyfan. :(

Did our posts not make sense? You can't get the Strike/Super parts separately. You'll have to buy the Super/Strike Valkyrie kit(s) for those parts.

As far as the weapon set is concerned, you may be SOL at the moment. It'll be reissued soon enough, so you can just wait until then.

Check out HobbySearch:

http://www.1999.co.jp/asp/shop_right_e.asp...thumb=1&Spage=1

Sorry, I made that last post while I was in class, my english teacher can be quite the bitch at times. :rolleyes:

Edited by Macross_Fanboy